PDA

View Full Version : Ship Draft & Magnetic Pistol Settings Question

Acme70
06-18-2005, 09:55 AM
What depth do you set your Magnetic Pistol Torpedoes for, Do you set them for the actual draft of the ship or slightly lower, For example a C3 Cargo ship has a draft of 9.0, Should i set the torpedo for 9.0, 9.5 or 10, I have had luck breaking ships backs but not on a consistant basis

Fodderstompf
06-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Hi m8t,
In my experience its kosher to set the depth for approx 1m under the target's draught.

This has, for me, ensured many successful keel detonations. When a tanker is travelling (loaded with fuel oil) 1 fish will create a nice, big boom http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, when targeting using this method in rough weather, a keel shot can miss due to the ship bobbing up and down. I sometimes have to add an extra half meter, or subtract it.

Hope this helps.

W.Irving
06-18-2005, 02:07 PM
So what is the maximum distance from the hull the magnetic pistol should work? I don't use it too often.

GT182
06-18-2005, 02:20 PM
I've had great success with magnetic at 1 and 1.5 meters under the keel. I wouldn't try anything more than 2 meters tho... I've watched shots go under the keel but never explode. I believe the distance was too great but not sure how far the distance was. That's why I say not to try more than 2 meters.

Once, but not the last time either...LOL, I forgot to set a torpedo to impact from magnetic trying for a 90degree shot. It ended up an angle shot, about 80degrees I think, at a C2 and watched as the topredo hit bounced off, only to backup and head back in to rehit the second time, and then explode. Never have seen or had it happen again. Usually they just bounce off from an angle shot and settle to the bottom.

Even tho realism suffers it's nice to have the event camera running to see some of these strange occurrances. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Grey004
06-18-2005, 05:07 PM
I've found that,setting to 1/2 metre below keel is the perfect laying. It insures that when targeting even in rough weather you are certain it hits the target.

On another subject,when I attack convoys ,I always target the deeper draft victims,first.

I lay the first 2 shots at the deeper draft,then the next at the shallower drafts.This allows the deep shots to pass under any shallower draft harmlessly to intercept the larger ships,leaving the rest of the salvo to take out the shallower.

I thought I'd that little snippet, in case anyone had not tried it.

Blabaer
06-18-2005, 08:12 PM
I've found that,setting to 1/2 metre below keel is the perfect laying. It insures that when targeting even in rough weather you are certain it hits the target.

jaa certain to "hit" the target but in rough weather it may just bounce of the bottom plating when the ship bobbs up n down as Fodderstompf says....so its not certain...

Grey004
06-19-2005, 04:51 AM
@Blabaer

I've never had a failure yet with this method,but then again I never lay it less than 90 deg +/- 5.

The 1/2 metre allows for the heaving in bad weather,since your aiming midships,the degree of rise and fall is minimal.If the fish is set right ,you'll get detonation by either magnetic or impact.Therefore,until I have one that bounces off or slips under its most definitely a certainty.

I suppose you may be right if the shot was layed at a steeper angle than I normally set myself up at,but I'm a awkward ****** at the best of times,so if it does'nt feel right I won't take the shot.

mbabbs
06-21-2005, 03:46 AM
In rough weather I find the magnetic option too unpredictable. I always have an impact setting in rough water.

In calmer seas I opt for a meter below the keel and set the speed of the fish to medium.

FDNYFAN
06-21-2005, 04:51 AM
on calm seas I set it 0.5 meters under the keel and in high seas 1 meter.
But if I want to be sure the ship is going down I use the impact if I have a 90 degree angle on the ships hull.
I only use magnetic when I'am in front or back of a target or if the angle is too high.

stinkhammer6
06-21-2005, 07:32 AM
This is your official cheat sheet people, print this or write it down.
Magnetic option for C2/3 Cargo-7m torp depth.
Impact, 5m torp depth set on fast.
All of the above is the same for an auxillery cruiser and battleships.
But for battleships do a manual aim directly under the second gun on the second level at the FRONT of the battleship, set on fast and impact, youll send that heap to the bottom quickly.
For Passenger Liners and Carriers- set 3 tubes at different torpedo depths, like tube one at 7m, tube two at 6m and tube 3 at 5m, then switch to salvo and makes sure you can use the tubes you set the torpedo depths on when you switch to salvo, check your gyro angle so all three hit the ship and some dont go in front or behind these big lugs, open your tubes, set your solution and fire. Now, evade the destroyers.