PDA

View Full Version : Turn based build time for Creature Recruitment, Building Construction

Zanosan
03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Today it dawned on me the question of why does Heroes of Might and Magic still have instant build for buildings? I believe it would add plenty of strategic value to game play of HoMM6 to have some build time (in terms of number of turns) for structures! The same goes for converting a town, it should require a few turns to do so.

As most have heard, the number of resources has been reduced down to 4, but time is a resource that hasnít been fully realized in HoMM series. It also makes more sense in my mind, just remember the saying, ďRome wasnít built in a dayĒ

I liked HoMM4ís idea to allow the daily recruitment of creatures as oppose to waiting for a full week to get all your troops available.

In general, I think low end buildings would require less turns to construct compared to the high end buildings/ structures.

Also, if this feature were to be implemented, should the limitation to only allow one structure to be built per turn? I think it make sense to do so.

Any thoughts anyone?

GoranXII
03-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Well I've got you building idea pre-empted by almost two and a half years (http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=27175&pagenumber=2). Apart from that, yeah I wouldn't mind seeing both of them get included.

Zanosan
03-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Yay, I hope the Dev's have thought about this too.

BTW, just to clarify, I meant to say in my last line of the original post that if the feature for building structures requires a period of time, then the limitation to build one building per turn should be removed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TaintedCherub
03-06-2011, 04:18 AM
Don`t really like this. I think it would just make for frustrating waiting around and slow the game down for no good gameplay reason.

Ro.Floro
03-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Not entirely a good idea...we're not playing the "Total war" series...

znork
03-06-2011, 04:31 AM
This would change the game totaly i dont dislike it but it would a somthing to think about maybe in a addon or h7http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zanosan
03-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Certainly, by changing from instant build on structures to a time period is a big change, but I don't think it will slow the pace of the game down. It just gives us players more strategic choices to make on different maps and scenarios...

Right now when i play pervious heroes, the first two weeks in general is to try and build up all the creature dwellings and income generating structures. Not much of that has changed for me since HoMM2. However if a time period for building things were in coporated... it could further emphasize the importance of lower end tiered troops because of their ease of building and so on. Maybe a player should have started constructing that castle wall right away in order to properly defend a location and no just wait till the last turn http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I am going to start another post about limited mine life to create a greater sense of resource management http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

znork
03-06-2011, 09:22 AM
hey all go ides get noticedhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GoranXII
03-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Ro.Floro:
Not entirely a good idea...we're not playing the "Total war" series... Nor are we playing WoW or Final Fantasy, but we got a completely new hero advancement system.

mcgslo
03-08-2011, 06:46 AM
it could be good idea...

Maybe town would be divided to levels like heroes are. And at town LvL1 you can build only specific lvl1 structers and you progress like tree based system where e.g. Haven castle could have 2 or more different build paths.

I would also like to see some advanture map influance, spells, abilities, etc. conected to different build paths.

just a thought

Alioness
03-08-2011, 07:03 AM
I was playing also the Disciples and I liked the creature choice path with more than just 1 or 2 upgrades. I would love to see this feature in HoMM VI. Otherwise a time limitation of building is better than limitation to build only one structure per day.

Ro.Floro
03-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by GoranXII:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ro.Floro:
Not entirely a good idea...we're not playing the "Total war" series... Nor are we playing WoW or Final Fantasy, but we got a completely new hero advancement system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand the point of quotating me...
You're saying I'm right or wrong?

GoranXII
03-08-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't understand the point of quotating me...
You're saying I'm right or wrong? I'm not saying you're either right or wrong, just that using another game or series (especially such a successful and well known one like, as you quoted, the Total War series) as a justification for not doing something isn't a good idea.

LichKing012
03-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm certainly okay with buildings taking time to build, possibly big buildings take an extra day, but in part I feel like the resource system effectively does this. I only gt 2 wood a day, this building, the one I need to build anything else, takes 5, so I can't build anything for 3 days. So I could see it being an interesting feature. I think more interesting would be to do it heroes kingdoms style, the longer it takes to build, the less resources it takes up.

I'm very strongly opposed to the gradual amount of creatures throughout the week though. In the old heroes system, I can get all of my creatures at once, then go off on my happy way to explore. I don't want to have to hang close to my town to pick up trickles of recruitments. It's certainly realistic, but it's tedious and tiresome.

GoranXII
03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I think more interesting would be to do it heroes kingdoms style, the longer it takes to build, the less resources it takes up. That makes no sense, you'd still have to put all of the materials in, and you'd still be paying the labourers for their work.

I'm very strongly opposed to the gradual amount of creatures throughout the week though. In the old heroes system, I can get all of my creatures at once, then go off on my happy way to explore. I don't want to have to hang close to my town to pick up trickles of recruitments. It's certainly realistic, but it's tedious and tiresome. In the old system, an enemy could grab your town on day 6 or 7, and then recruit the next week's creatures before you could retake it back.

TaintedCherub
03-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by GoranXII:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think more interesting would be to do it heroes kingdoms style, the longer it takes to build, the less resources it takes up. That makes no sense, you'd still have to put all of the materials in, and you'd still be paying the labourers for their work.

I'm very strongly opposed to the gradual amount of creatures throughout the week though. In the old heroes system, I can get all of my creatures at once, then go off on my happy way to explore. I don't want to have to hang close to my town to pick up trickles of recruitments. It's certainly realistic, but it's tedious and tiresome. In the old system, an enemy could grab your town on day 6 or 7, and then recruit the next week's creatures before you could retake it back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you can get a cheaper quote from the lazy slow workers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

However, I don`t think anything should be based on Heroes Kingdoms. That`s just a bit of derivative fluff. HOMM6 should be the inspiration for the side spokes of the franchise, not the other way round.

I prefer weekly creature recruitment because of these strategic implications of attacking at certain times of the week. Adds a little depth.

Zanosan
03-13-2011, 10:14 AM
FYI, I just noticed the main heroes 6 website has pictures of some structures! Also info on Artifacts sets.

Check it out!
http://might-and-magic.ubi.com...buildings/index.aspx (http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/heroes-6/en-US/game/buildings/index.aspx)

Polaris2013
03-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Zanosan:
Certainly, by changing from instant build on structures to a time period is a big change, but I don't think it will slow the pace of the game down. It just gives us players more strategic choices to make on different maps and scenarios...

How can a change that has no other direct function than to slow down certain actions, result in anything other than slowing down the whole, which is composed in part of those actions?

Anyway, I don't like the idea because I don't see any upside. What benefit is there to making a building take two days to complete?

On the other hand, there are downsides. Building one thing per city per day is a simple rule that takes a second to learn and doesn't have any funny special cases to consider. If a building takes 2 days to complete can I build something else the second day? Answering the question isn't the point; the point is that the answer isn't obvious just from knowing the general rule. You shouldn't have to consult the rulebook every time you encounter a new situation.

Good gameplay comes from not having to know special rules for special cases. You don't learn new pieces because the old pieces were only useful for one thing. You use pieces that you already know in new and interesting ways. This proposed change sounds like a change for change's sake at that invariably results in gameplay of the 'learning new pieces because the old ones were only useful for one thing' kind of change.

So why would I favor of a change that has downsides but no upsides?

Kaemon666
03-14-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't care a lot about building times. It's true that it allways looked silly that it took the same time to build the Archangel's Cloud than the Pikemen Barracks; but meh...

If done properly, it would probably be great and increase both the strategy and gameplay.
But instead of focusing of End-Units-Structures taking longer (wich can be done too I guess) I think it could be better to care about "Producing Units Buildings" (original Archer's Tower) taking 2 days (longer) than the upgrape (wich should take 1 day).
This way upgraping your troops early starts to sound more interesting, instead of trying to maximize your unit production in the two first weeks.

About the units... I totally agree with a "Daily Basis Borning" instead of week one.

LichKing012 said:
"I'm very strongly opposed to the gradual amount of creatures throughout the week though. In the old heroes system, I can get all of my creatures at once, then go off on my happy way to explore. I don't want to have to hang close to my town to pick up trickles of recruitments. It's certainly realistic, but it's tedious and tiresome."

And I reply to him:
You can still get your weekly units and leave. In fact, you can even get most of your units on Day 5 and leave to adventure, instead of waiting 2 more days to get "something".
I myself found more tedius to have to get to the town X day instead of when I wanted. And also made caravans of 2-3 heroes so they could bring me the weekly units on day 1 from 2-3 turns away from the town...

Also, as GoranXII mentions, its quite ridiculous how the enemy hero can attack your town on Day 6-7, and not only you can't create extra units because are not born yet; but he gets them all on the next day to defend... Quite patethic imo... XD

And I think we would get used to just make the units when we feel like, need to, or by time to time; its not like we are going to build them everyday just in case (I guess, XD).

BTW... Maybe an option to "AutoProduce" (Hire) the units could be added? Like I chose to Auto-Hire archers, and each day I get the 2 borning archers for a cost of 400 gold (wich also shows as -400 Gold daily on the Gold screen)