PDA

View Full Version : So where are all the airplane types

zeviper
06-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm a newbie to IL-2. Just downloaded Il-2 Sturmovik 1946 and it claimed to have all the previous releases included and like 230 something airplanes. I don't see nearly that many - am I missing something? Do more become available once I complete certain levels?

Thanks

WTE_Galway
06-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by zeviper:
I'm a newbie to IL-2. Just downloaded Il-2 Sturmovik 1946 and it claimed to have all the previous releases included and like 230 something airplanes. I don't see nearly that many - am I missing something? Do more become available once I complete certain levels?

Thanks

No they should all be available right from the start.

Where are you looking ?

Skycat_2
06-04-2009, 02:44 AM
Start with the Quick Mission Builder. You can access all of the flyables there. Use the first line ("Your Flight") in the setup menu to scroll through the planes you can use. Try different maps other than the default Okinawa map also.

I can't remember how many flyables there are within the sim but I think that the number you are quoting is the total including the AI-only aircraft. Only about half of the planes are actually user flyable in normal, unmodded gameplay.

BTW, pay no mind to the limited number of planes in the View Object list. The short explanation is that the developer stopped adding new entries about halfway into the series.

Tully__
06-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Skycat_2:
...I can't remember how many flyables there are within the sim but I think that the number you are quoting is the total including the AI-only aircraft....
230 is pretty close for flyables (counting both types and variants) in v4.08m. I just did a quick rough count in QMB and got 218. I was in a hurry and distracted so it's a good bet that's not exact but it's definately well over 200 flyable in the latest official patch version.

TinyTim
06-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Also, number 230 can be a bit misleading. Many times there are numerous nearly identical subversions of a type, which results in boosting flyable number. Keeping this in mind, the list of flyables in QMB is still pretty long. Starts with an A-20C (for a quick check).

zeviper
06-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks dudes for all of your suggestions. Yeah, the key seems to be to go through the Quick Misson Builder. But no B-17 or B-24's huh?

Anyway, there's a lot of cool planes in there...

thanks again

Ze Viper

VW-IceFire
06-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks dudes for all of your suggestions. Yeah, the key seems to be to go through the Quick Misson Builder. But no B-17 or B-24's huh?

Anyway, there's a lot of cool planes in there...

thanks again

Ze Viper
The big bombers take ages to build...so many stations and so much research required to do it right to simulation standards. Sadly none were completed. But I have hope for the future!

In the meantime the B-25, G4M, He-111, and Ju-88 make a fantastic medium bombers.

K_Freddie
06-04-2009, 11:31 PM
But no B-17 or B-24's huh?
It's a pity, but when flying around take a look inside the pit, every button and dial works.
Putting this into a very large bomber was probably too much a task for 1C considering the time frame they had.... but yeah, it would have been nice to cut down 11 'patriots' at one time, in a online B17... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

and Welcome.. you'll enjoy this sim very much.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Ba5tard5word
06-04-2009, 11:53 PM
There are mods that let you fly some of the unflyable planes like bombers (not sure about the B-17 though). I'm not really into bombers and the mods slow down the game so I play without them.

Google "All Aircraft Arcade" if you're interested, we can't give out links here.

TinyTim
06-05-2009, 03:10 AM
Yeah, like bastardsword said, if you are interested in flying 4 engined bombers and other planes available only as AI in the stock game, head over to site he mentioned and search for unified installer. It's a community mod that uses cockpits, gunstations and other parts from other planes to make most if not all the AI planes flyable (including all versions of B-17, B-24, B-29, Pe-8...), plus it adds quite a few completely new flyable planes, like SpitMkXIV, Me-410 or MosquitoMkXVI among others.