PDA

View Full Version : BoB hardware requirements

minb
03-29-2006, 02:34 AM
Since I can barely play PF with lots of objects (aircraft, ships) in action (shooting, exploding) I was begining to wonder if the new BoB game will have truly astronomical hardware requirements or will it run decently on moderate and possibly low-end setups (amd 2000, nvidia geforce 6600, 1gb ram)?

JG52Uther
03-29-2006, 03:00 AM
I dont think anyone knows yet.If you are struggling now,I think its a pretty safe bet that it will probably be worse with BoB.

II_JG1_Falke
03-29-2006, 07:36 AM
Perhaps oleg could chime in and give us a rough idea.

I plan on building a new system in August and would love to have an idea what the requirements will be.

crazyivan1970
03-29-2006, 10:41 AM
H/W requirements are not known yet. As developement progresses far enough to know what it takes to run it, then Oleg will tell you.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Liquid nitrogen-cooled CPU in the 4ghz range

Dual 512 MB GF8400GTX/ATIX2100XT PE...but still won't run acceptable frames in immacculate landscape until later hardware is developed and released.

4 gb RAM (faster the better)

dual scsi 15k rpm HDD's

yada, yada, yada

Actually, it should be safe to think that if you can run PF merged decently right now, then you will at least be able to run BoB. But I would expect the high-end eye candy to push beyond the limits of todays hardware.

TB

crazyivan1970
03-29-2006, 10:45 AM
You summed it up pretty well there Tbolt http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

FritzGryphon
03-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Oh ye with short memories, Oleg did comment on it some time long ago.

Something to the effect that; If you can run PF on maximal settings with good FPS, you will be able to run BoB in low settings.

stansdds
03-30-2006, 04:05 AM
Actually, it should be safe to think that if you can run PF merged decently right now, then you will at least be able to run BoB. But I would expect the high-end eye candy to push beyond the limits of todays hardware

Yep, I expect this is correct.

Flying_Nutzo
03-30-2006, 04:10 AM
Quad-core processors this time next year. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

+ dual graphics cards

= No prob, me thinks.

NonWonderDog
03-30-2006, 08:58 AM
I think it's rather:

Quad-core processors this time next year.

+ dual graphics cards

= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BaronUnderpants
03-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
Oh ye with short memories, Oleg did comment on it some time long ago.

Something to the effect that; If you can run PF on maximal settings with good FPS, you will be able to run BoB in low settings.

For thoose of us that cant even run PF in maximal settings thats a 1000-2000$ upgrade right there.

Ohh goddie http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Hopefully the natural evelution of ones pc have caught up just a bit until BoB comes out.

alert_1
03-31-2006, 04:33 AM
If you can ran LOMAC "Flaming Cliffs" with everything maxouted, you dont need worry about BoB
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

msalama
03-31-2006, 05:45 AM
Quad-core processors this time next year.

+ dual graphics cards

= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yep. Which is a problem. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Testus01
03-31-2006, 06:05 AM
"f you can ran LOMAC "Flaming Cliffs" with everything maxouted, you dont need worry about BoB"

I 'm worried, alert... Of course, we can run our favorite games, but after so much time lost in trying to get the best from lots of compromise...
See future Win Vista: 40% larger than XP just because of backwards compatibility. A friend of mine is already saving money for a PS3, just because of those Ram, harware and 'reformat every 6 months' stuff.
So if Maddox Games can give us an early view on BOB requirements, the best we can plan our future rig. Plain preference in tech matters like AMD vs. Intel or ATI vs. nVidia welcome.

Akira_sama
03-31-2006, 06:10 AM
i dont think the requirement will be too high.

triggerhappyfin
04-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Akira_sama:
i dont think the requirement will be too high.

Wouldnt be so sure about that. FB demands a lot of our equipment as it is, with a lot not modelled at all.

GoldenEagle_001
04-02-2006, 06:05 AM
If Oleg wants BOB to last as long as possible there must be potential for graphic quality modes that will not be accessible/playable with the hardware available at launch time.

So it is a matter of lifecycle. If BOB must last say three to four years then it must last also through three to four graphic card generation and at least two CPU generations.

From my point of view Il2/PF the only real graphical improvement was the water. But today with the latest available hardware the graphics of IL2/PF are a little old. Texture for airplanes are too small (1024X1024)and ground detail (mainly forests, and plants) and quality could be improved much more. The movement of the ships in the water is also primitive (acceptable for sure) as well as turning motions. Lighting and shaders are to be adressed seriously for BOB.

Sound must also be improved at all levels. This is really a weak point of Il2/PF.

So there must be in a well designed game all the ingredients that allow the general public which run on low end systems still to have a reward when it moves to a new generation of graphic hardware when the cost goes down, or to a more recent system.

On the other hand there is the flightsim enthusiast community which instead of buying a new car will instead invest in the latest hardware. That community too must be adressed.

So it is not such an easy task to satsfy everybody but it must be properly handled.

Gold

Mainboard Asus P5WD2-E Premiun
Chipset Intel 975X FSB 1066 MHz
CPU Intel P4 D 955Extreme Edition at 3.7GHz
Memory Corsair DDR2 800 XMS 2GB
Graphics Asus GF 7900GTX 512MB
Display Samsung Syncmaster 244T LCD 24"

Aero_Shodanjo
04-02-2006, 06:59 AM
What were the "hottest-maximum-super-rig" hardware specs when the IL-2 first came out? Or another thought, what was the spec of the computer that was used to program the IL-2 (that Im guessing can run it all in the maxed out options)?

Anyway, if the BoB is and still constructed using P4 2,6 Ghz/or AMD 2800+ rigs with 1GB RAM and NVidia 5900 or ATi 9800 series graphic cards, I think it could means that I still can run BoB with my 4 years old P4 2,4 albeit with "excellent" settings.

That's all just IMO ofcourse.

VW-IceFire
04-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by minb:
Since I can barely play PF with lots of objects (aircraft, ships) in action (shooting, exploding) I was begining to wonder if the new BoB game will have truly astronomical hardware requirements or will it run decently on moderate and possibly low-end setups (amd 2000, nvidia geforce 6600, 1gb ram)?
Well I wouldn't count on running it on your current rig. If you bought a new system in the last year that was mid to top of the line I would expect you to be able to run BoB. But that machine is maybe 4 years old now...not in the runnings. My 3 year old machine is not really either. It may run but not well.

Be ready to upgrade...and honestly if you can duke it out for 5 years with an old system (because BOB isn't out yet or anywhere close to) then you've done well.

polak5
04-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Aero_Shodanjo:

Anyway, if the BoB is and still constructed using P4 2,6 Ghz/or AMD 2800+ rigs with 1GB RAM and NVidia 5900 or ATi 9800 series graphic cards, I think it could means that I still can run BoB with my 4 years old P4 2,4 albeit with "excellent" settings.

That's all just IMO ofcourse.

I hope they dont use that to make BOB http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Treetop64
04-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Part of the reason I built a new rig was to be prepared for BoB and, more specifically, FSX and Vista. I'm all set now; I'm just waiting for more powerful DC processors to be released. The current crop of DC processors, AMD and Intel, are kinda weak, IMO. And if the new Intel Conroe cpus will run on a 945P chipset, then I'm golden!

However, I fear that by the time BoB is released, I'll need to upgrade again if I wish to play it properly.

Novoroso
04-04-2006, 11:23 AM

Sorry old bean but Oleg has been quoted (within this very thread!) as saying that if you can max everything out perfect for Pacific Fighters and get good frame rates, you'll be able to run BoB at its lowest settings.

I use a 3000 64 Athlon, o'clocked to 3800 plus o'clocked 6800 and gig of dual channel (again, o'clocked) and I get acceptable frame rates in PF, not as good as I'd like. I know I need a completely new set-up for BoB. You totally definitely do.

Beirut
04-04-2006, 07:12 PM
I only upgrade for flightsims.

I spent hundreds on hardware just for Falcon 4.

I've spent lots more for the IL2 series. $550 in just the last week.

God only knows what expenses BoB will entail.

Am I nuts? Is it worth it?

Yep. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

FritzGryphon
04-04-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm not worried one bit.

Of all the sims from CFS3 to FB to LOMAC, FB is the only one I could run with a Athlon 450mhz and a voodoo3.

The IL-2 series in general has been very forgiving of crummy computers. It's not pretty, or very smooth, but it at least runs, and is always rock solid stable. I'd expect the same of BoB.

I-Inhaled
04-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Hello Everyone,

Will BOB use SMP for Dual Core Procesors?
Will BOB be able to take advantage of Dx 10?
Will BOB be developed with Vista in mind?
Will BOB run better on Vista or XP?

I look at it this way, I will build whatever I need to play the simulators I like. The hours of joy I get is worth every upgrade. Only thing I need is, to know what I need to upgrade to.

Even a $2000 upgrade over a year is only $5.50 a day. How many of you buy that much in coffee a day at starbucks? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks

Monson74
04-05-2006, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
I'm not worried one bit.

Of all the sims from CFS3 to FB to LOMAC, FB is the only one I could run with a Athlon 450mhz and a voodoo3.

The IL-2 series in general has been very forgiving of crummy computers. It's not pretty, or very smooth, but it at least runs, and is always rock solid stable. I'd expect the same of BoB.

Same here - I had an AMD 850 & a GeForce2 when I bought IL2 - it wasn't pretty but it worked - it all depends on the settings & the series has been very flexible - you can pretty much tune it the way you want it - I'm now running FB/AEP/PF on an AMD 3000+ with an ATI 9800 Pro & I get frames in the 60-70s @ 1152x864, 2xAF, 2xAA, "excellent" w/o mirrors & 10-20 less with mirrors on which I think is good enough for me & this is what is considered an "entry-level-rig". I believe BoB will be equally flexible in terms of eye-candy/performance settings - at least Oleg said so.

Novoroso
04-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Guys - you're missing the fact that IL2 has become more and more demading with every patch - I'd love to hear your results trying it now on that first setup. Same with anything else that gets patched and patched, with more and more features added. At one stage, I could run Counterstrike on a p3 500 with 128mb of ram. The results would be laughable now.

But what's the point in arguing about it. If you're not going to upgrade to run this, don't. But please don't whine when you can't run it.

Scen
04-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Just making a comment. Even with my older hardware I'm able to run the IL2 series quite well in 16X12 perfect settings.

I think where things really take a dive is online gaming. My FPS rate is cut in half. Not sure what the overhead is but thats pretty much the case across the board.

That said I would imagine even todays high end hardware will run BOB but maybe not in the MP mode

strykablue
04-06-2006, 03:14 AM
H/W requirements are not known yet. As developement progresses far enough to know what it takes to run it, then Oleg will tell you.

V!
Regards,
-----------------------------------------------
Whilst I recognise and appreciate the developers situation on releasing information, wanting to keep out of all the debate stuff, keeping his hand covered etc. I must say that I don't think this is really quite correct Ivan.

Oleg has been developing this for quite some time and plans to show at the May Gamers show as I understand.

Either way it would be quite feasible to outline the system requirements as there are too many hardware software advances. 64 bit is on the way, widescreen is becoming popular, cpu's run dual core, this offers greater capacity to multi task and therefore design to run as such. Much of the capability of Shader 3 isn't even used yet.

All these developments are available for the game designer now. It is now a case of the designers coding to utilise these developments, not the other way as before. As I said I respect his right to release info as he chooses but let's talk apples here. If Maddox didn't know full well what the coders can do he would be in a bad way, it isn't something they are going to change overnight is it?

Many people realise BOB is a way off and will wait for hardware updates when they see BOB. On the other hand it is difficult to justify upgrading now only to find it was a waste of money. Screens for instance dont change that quick and have a long use life, but why look at widescreen when unsure. Just part of the anticipation really.

So let's keep clean here, excellent game, well supported by the developer, very grateful for someone who is developing this gaming genre...but not knowing what it will need, I don't think so. Let's assume the best system you can get [ I hope so! ], with an option to run at lower settings as before, [ why wouldn't you]

PS Let's hope Tom Cruise doesn't win the war for America in the new movie about BOB. After all the British were there also!!!

|450| Stryka.

slipBall
04-06-2006, 03:41 AM
"It's a law,You want better, you need better" I guess that sum's it up. For me, I'm waiting till BOB is released. With hardware advancement's coming so rapidly, two year's down the road, could be like nite & day.

http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/IL2BOB/ask_oleg.htm

WTE_Galway
04-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Compared to joining a golf club, flying real time or owning a motorcycle, updating a PC occasionally for gaming purposes is not that expensive a hobby.

What really annoy me is when developers say "we could have had feature xxxx" but didnt include it as low end users will have problems and may complain.

Its not just end users either. There is a regular writer for one of the flight sim magazines (which I best not name here) that regularly complains loudly and long about any software he feels might stretch average hardware or require the user to spend money on an upgrade.

Limiting the graphics standard of a new game like BoB just to please the odd reviewer with a slow machine to me is stupid. My answer is "if you cant afford a topline machine wind the graphics back a bit".

georgeo76
04-07-2006, 12:50 PM
my best guess:

min system requirements (actual)/ min sys specs (on the box)

2.5 GHz cpu / 2 Ghz cpu

1 GB RAM / 512Mb RAM

256 MB Video Dx9/ 128MB video Dx8 (Ti4600 or better)

4 Gb HDD space/ 4Gb HDD space

Win XP / Win Xp

recommended specs:

3 GHz cpu

2 GB RAM

512 MB card Dx10 card

4 Gb HDD space

Win Vista (Dx10)

crazyivan1970
04-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by strykablue:

Whilst I recognise and appreciate the developers situation on releasing information, wanting to keep out of all the debate stuff, keeping his hand covered etc. I must say that I don't think this is really quite correct Ivan.

Oleg has been developing this for quite some time and plans to show at the May Gamers show as I understand.

Either way it would be quite feasible to outline the system requirements as there are too many hardware software advances. 64 bit is on the way, widescreen is becoming popular, cpu's run dual core, this offers greater capacity to multi task and therefore design to run as such. Much of the capability of Shader 3 isn't even used yet.

All these developments are available for the game designer now. It is now a case of the designers coding to utilise these developments, not the other way as before. As I said I respect his right to release info as he chooses but let's talk apples here. If Maddox didn't know full well what the coders can do he would be in a bad way, it isn't something they are going to change overnight is it?

See, the problem is, you are simplifying things. You cannot assume things without knowing what stage is development on. 64 bit OS, widescreen, dual core....etc. Those are not system requirements, those are things that will be supported or not. It is way to early to conclude...what would it take to run BOB when all things are completed. And talking about apples.... in software developement things can chage pretty quick and drastic. Trust me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Many people realise BOB is a way off and will wait for hardware updates when they see BOB. On the other hand it is difficult to justify upgrading now only to find it was a waste of money. Screens for instance dont change that quick and have a long use life, but why look at widescreen when unsure. Just part of the anticipation really.

Well, lets be reasonable... upgrading now for BOB does not make any sense, agreed? Wouldnt be logical to wait and see what it takes to run it? Why jump the gun now? I am 99% positive, those who upgraded today will be disapointed when BOB comes out. Game that will be released in 2007 will be orientated on 2007 hardware, no? So why upgrade in 2006? 1 Year for PC is a lifetime. Shoot, i upgraded 3 times in last 4 years. And not only for IL2. Last one was for Call of Duty2. Which made IL2 run better then ever of course. Bottom line, if Maddox sims is the only thing you do on PC...by all means wait for BOB. And even if they say that hardware requirements is bluh bluh bluh....still wait and see for yourself. Why? Because even recommended hardware requirements (not minimum) for PF are lower then they should be IMO.

So let's keep clean here, excellent game, well supported by the developer, very grateful for someone who is developing this gaming genre...but not knowing what it will need, I don't think so. Let's assume the best system you can get [ I hope so! ], with an option to run at lower settings as before, [ why wouldn't you]

Well, then let me ask you a question... wouldnt you be upset if you spend X-amount of money after being told that system req is "......." and to find out later that it is just to get by?

HelSqnProtos
04-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by CrazyIvan:
Bottom line, if Maddox sims is the only thing you do on PC...by all means wait for BOB. And even if they say that hardware requirements is bluh bluh bluh....still wait and see for yourself. Why? Because even recommended hardware requirements (not minimum) for PF are lower then they should be IMO.

S~!

Totally agree. Recommended specs are not accurate.

The game is hardcore in all its glory and you need a big rig to push it.

TheGozr
04-07-2006, 05:13 PM
What if we may expect too much for BOB. It is all speculation for now.

Akira_sama
04-07-2006, 06:56 PM
i hope its a OPENGL game.

Lodovik
04-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Just my 2 eurocents:
I'm putting my money in the bank now, saving up until I got closer to $2000/1800E, waiting to the day BoB comes out and read the reviews. I'll buy a new computer then and not a day before and aim higher than the "Recommended" specs. I think I should end up with a comp that runs BoB OK for a good while http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

And even if by some fluke I still can't afford a comp that will run BoB all perfect right away with this plan, I'll finally have one that runs FB/PF perfectly with previously unseen frames http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

GerritJ9
04-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Right now my current rig is struggling occasionally, especially with missions that contain lots of AI: AMD Athlon XP2500+, 1.5 GB RAM, FX6200 vidcard, 80 GB HDD. The only upgrade my MB will allow is an AMD Athlon 3000+ CPU. Not really worth the expense, I suspect, so I will continue to use this rig until either (a) it breaks down or (b) Oleg announces the final hardware specs for BoB which will allow me to make an informed guess at what future BoB development (patches, addons etc) will require in the way of hardware, then upgrade to the max available then.
Apart from FB/PF 4.04 I only run Wings of War, Silent Hunter III and, since a week or so, CFS2. WoW, SHIII and CFS2 run without problems, though in the case of CFS2 I haven't done any upgrading with 3rd party developed addons yet.

strykablue
04-12-2006, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback Ivan, I think you've said it all!<S>

starfighter1
04-16-2006, 11:10 AM
hi,
the main questions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

running on Win OS XP/Vista and Linux OS

both 32/64 bit

or DirectX10 and Open GL 2.0 ....

I guess BoB should run on both OS

so the hardware problems are not the point
both advanced OS are good enough to multi CPU and GPU

OK some users like also the dedic linux server at online fights...me too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

GAU-8
04-17-2006, 03:07 AM
i couldnt run LO-MAC with my decent rig then, except at all low settings. now my computer is much more adnvanced and "high end". I can play it with everything maxed out, being QUITE smooth.

i dont forsee BOB being ANY different. i would not spend large amounts of money for the computer to play BOB until about a year and a half later. nothing sux worse than spending mega bucks on the latest graphic card/CPU, just to get "medium" settings on a new game. i can wait.

jamesdietz
04-17-2006, 10:40 AM
BoB=All new Rig+ Monitor et al!