PDA

View Full Version : the difference between Altair and Ezio

Matt_156
01-06-2010, 08:46 AM
one of the reasons that i prefer Altair's character to Ezio is the simple fact that Altair was a trained assassin and his acrobatics and fencing prowess made sense. where did Ezio learn his moves and more importantly, why?

i guess we're to assume that his father and brother have been training him, but he seems to have no idea that he's meant to be an assassin when he first finds his father's garb after the betrayal. maybe i missed something, but this seems like shoddy plotting to me

jack994
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
The reason why I think he didnt question the Assassin's outfit when he first got it was that his father told him everything in the chest is important, even though he might not know it yet.

About learning his moves, he is a Florentine noble so obviously he will be misbehaving (i.e climbing up buildings, also I think his brother Federico has some part in this).

Why I like Ezio better than Altair is that before he didnt know how to assassinate and every new move he gains, we are seeing him progress to be the ultimate assassin.

Matt_156
01-06-2010, 09:34 AM
good point about the progression. that is definitely a step forward (no pun intended).

but i have to disagree about the assumption that it was commonplace for a Florentine noble to know how to scale buildings and leap from ledge to ledge like an acrobat ._.

i just kinda tell myself that his father has been training him all his life but died before he could actually tell him what for. just to fill in the plot hole in my own mind lol

jack994
01-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Not really commonplace for a Florentine noble, I really meant that he is a young adult and obviously given his nature he will most likely climb buildings and learn to free run.

Also worth mentioning is that Altair's free running abilities may have been passed down from him to Ezio.

ValidatedDavid
01-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I think the part at the beginning where Ezio and his brother have a race up the tower is meant to illustrate that the two of them have been climbing things in the city all their lives. There is also a Herald yelling in the streets of their home district that there is a problem with people climbing structures in the city and while it is not technically illegal it is only a matter of time before someone breaks a leg. I think this is also meant to illustrate the fact that Ezio, and probably others too, have been climbing in the city for a long time. I think we are supposed to think that is why Ezio is such a good climber.

Having said that, I do think that there are some plot problems with Ezio becoming an Assassin. When he officially becomes a member in Venice I thought "what! isn't he already an Assassin member?" After all, he's been raiding assassin tombs, he's wearing the insignia as a huge belt buckle, he's got a wall of codex pages in the Villa. I always assumed he became one under Mario's guidance much earlier in the story. The writing for him makes him seem kind of oblivious to the obvious by the end of Venice.

itsamea-mario
01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
i dont really think he would be that good at the begginning the book is more realistic.

Originally posted by jack994:

Also worth mentioning is that Altair's free running abilities may have been passed down from him to Ezio.

NO. abilities like that dont get passed down through genes, otherwise the modern human race would probably be amazing, i know desmond learns it but that because the knowledge of how to do those moves were passed using the bleeding effect, honestly i think even though he mentally can do it, he would physically be able to do it.

schoolboytom
01-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by itsamea-mario:
NO. abilities like that dont get passed down through genes, otherwise the modern human race would probably be amazing, i know desmond learns it but that because the knowledge of how to do those moves were passed using the bleeding effect, honestly i think even though he mentally can do it, he would physically be able to do it.

Because being able to access your Ancestors memories using DNA is really possible?
And some things can be instinctive. Some animals are solitary and leave their mother at a young age and they manage to know what to do and survive. And there has been studies to show that if adult mice acknowledge a sound or picture with fear when their young are subjected to the same sound/picture fear is also observed.
Although it is understandable that a person is not able to inherit expert climbing ability. Some people are considered "naturals" at things. Maybe this has something to do with the genes producing proteins which when all combined give a human with a natural ability/advantage. Science and all that......

Dreams-Of-Glass
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
*SPOLIER?*

I think as a nobleman Ezio was taught how to use a sword (I don't know if this part is completely true, I think it was at another time and place.) Also in Ezio's Destiny trailer, Ezio said "his first duel..." so he must have used a sword a couple of times.

As for his free running skills, he might have been bored during his spare time and decided to run around and cause mischief with his older brother, Federico. There is also him running away from the guards and fathers of pretty girls (they also said he was not caught by guards when he was 'visiting' Cristina).