PDA

View Full Version : Just got IL2 Gold... now what?

Gr8r_Swiss
11-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Having got Pacific Fighters, I ran out today and got the gold pack of IL2 (Forgotten Battles with Aces expansion)

Now what? What other add ons do you all recommend? I have seen Battle Over Europe, Op Barbarossa, Frau something-or-other, etc...

What will give us the best addons- new planes, missions, terrains, theatre of Ops, paints and so forth. As a total noob to the IL2 arena, ANY suggestion is welcomed.

Flash

Gr8r_Swiss
11-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Having got Pacific Fighters, I ran out today and got the gold pack of IL2 (Forgotten Battles with Aces expansion)

Now what? What other add ons do you all recommend? I have seen Battle Over Europe, Op Barbarossa, Frau something-or-other, etc...

What will give us the best addons- new planes, missions, terrains, theatre of Ops, paints and so forth. As a total noob to the IL2 arena, ANY suggestion is welcomed.

Flash

Tully__
11-15-2004, 11:21 PM
With FB Gold and Pacific Fighters, you have all the planes there are (until the patch comes out). The others are mission & skin packs.

-HH-Quazi
11-15-2004, 11:26 PM
You are good to go m8. Install the FB Gold, then instal PF into that. You can also have PF as a stand alone if you wish. Out of all the add-ons you mentioned, Battle Over Europe,BOE, is the only one worth it's weight for what you pay for it. It opens up the American side of the war in Europe with maps and missions, not to mention an excellent online dynamic campaign generator and plenty of skins, 196 of them I think. BOE will integrate with FB/AEP/PF. As for the other add-ons you mentioned, I haven't heard anything about them so that should tell you everything. BOE should be available at www.justflight.com (http://www.justflight.com). Welcome to the community m8.

plumps_
11-16-2004, 01:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
As for the other add-ons you mentioned, I haven't heard anything about them so that should tell you everything. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
All it should tell you is that the world is bigger than Quazi can imagine.

'Operation Barbarossa' and 'Fall Blau' are third party campaign packs from Germany. They don't use the dynamic campaign generator (which many users describe as boring and repetitve), but are hand-made, historic campaigns. So each of the several hundred missions was made by a human being with a brain and not by a computer. If you play Forgotten Battles mainly offline and you're looking for more missions, these add-ons may be worth buying. The first edition of 'Operation Barbarossa' was made for IL-2 Sturmovik, but there's also a second editon for FB. 'Fall Blau' is newer and was created for FB. From people who have actually played it I've heard nothing but postive comments about 'Fall Blau'.

The forum search should find some more threads on the topic.

Skycat_2
11-16-2004, 03:49 PM
First thing is to play the game you've got! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Forgotten Battles" and the expansion "Ace Expansion Pack" (combined as "Gold Pack") come with many 'dynamic' campaigns and are as good a place to start as any. Obviously, this campaign system continues in "Pacific Fighters." DGen isn't a perfect campaign generator, but it does provide endless hours of mission flying. DGen's strength, IMO, is that it keeps track of your promotions and victories and debriefs you after each mission with a detailed graphic of your flight path. Noticeably absent in the stock Dynamic Campaigns is any option to fly Western Front, European theater missions for the USAAF and RAF ...

This is where "Battle Over Europe" comes in. It's a missions and skins addon, more dynamic campaigns by the same guy (Starshoy) who wrote all the dynamic careers for FB/AEP/PF. BOE is targeted at Mustang, Thunderbolt and Spitfire pilots who want their moment over France and Belgium ... I don't know if BOE is available in stores, but you can order it from the publisher's website at JustFlight.com. (There is also an 'RAF' AEP update patch for BOE at that site).

Some FB flyers believe that Paul Lowengrin's free "Dynamic Campaign Generator" is far better than Starshoy's DGen. Paul continuously updates his program to account for new planes, so no doubt he's working on a version that is compatible with "Pacific Fighters." The big downfall of DCG is that it takes some time to set it up and learn how to use the program. A web search should bring it up for you; sorry I don't have a link offhand.

In addition, there are several other 'Missions and skins' add-on packs that are not dynamic in nature but rather a series of scripted events (like the single missions that come with FB and AEP). Steffan Trombke's "Operation Barbarossa" was the first such add-on product and was well received; his updated version stops with FB's aircraft (no AEP or PF flyables or maps). The publisher is Matrix Games. In the U.S., I saw it on the shelves for $10 this summer. Trombke recently released a follow-up titled "Operation Fall Blau" which takes place later in the war; I don't have it but PC Pilot magazine wrote up a favorable review for it this summer.

"Rebirth of Honor" is another recent release, and puts you in the flying suit of a late war Luftwaffe pilot. I know there is a demo for it available for download ... I don't recall the publisher or any other information about it ...

"Combat Over Europe" is the 'scripted mission' competitor to "Battle Over Europe" (yeah, the similarity of names confuses everybody. Intentional? Hmmmm ...) and is developed by CombatPlanes.ca / published by GMX Media. If you look for the developer's site, you can get some sample missions and a mini RAF Spitfire campaign that's pretty good. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've seen that one other add-on is getting wrapped up for publication, "The Last Days." I know very little about it but I believe it is also late war and fantasy 1946 scenarios.

One last thing to consider is that there are dozens if not hundreds of user made missions and campaigns available for Free at several websites. You can start by taking a look at http://www.netwings.org/ which has a huge collection and should keep you busy for hours in just downloading alone. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Skycat_2
11-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Some added thoughts: in case it hasn't been made clear already, no add-on product will give you new planes or maps. The content is strictly controlled by the developer, Oleg Maddox. Right now, with PF+Gold Pack combined, you've got all the planes and maps that there are available.

There are independant modelers who work on 3-D models, but they must submit them through 1C:Maddox Games to get them into the game; new planes are then implemented through upgrade patches and/or in full releases like FB (compared to IL-2 Sturmovik), AEP, and now Pacific Fighters. If you see see screenshots of beautiful planes created by the third party modelers that are either 'nearly done' or 'just sent off to Oleg,' then cross your fingers, wait two weeks + two weeks + plus two weeks and maybe -- possibly -- some will become available in a patch someday.

New maps from anybody except the development team are even less likely because they require special software licensed by 1C:Maddox to create them; as far as I know only two guys have been granted use of it, and they both had a very strong rapport with Oleg Maddox before that and closely associated with the series' development and promotion.

New skins are a different story, and custom repaints are readily available all over the internet. Check http://www.il2skins.com/ for a giant collection of skins. You can replace aircraft and pilot skins, but not vehicle and ground object or terrain textures.

New speech language packs can be added (and several are available by free downloads) but other sound effects cannot be changed or replaced. In flight music can be replaced however. Some splash screen images can be changed as well.

FMs and DMs are secure and and cannot be altered or added by modders.

orkan_3d
11-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Try "Rebirth of Honor", it`s very good, you can download demo:

http://www.pluswave.de/ROH/roh.html