PDA

View Full Version : Oleg please add the smoke effect after hitting with .50 cals

jurinko
01-11-2005, 02:13 AM
Viewing the guncamera from either Pacific or Europe, the hits from P-47/51 machineguns did produce, together with bright flashes as we have now, quite a lot of smoke puffs on the targeted plane. Make them roughly half of the size of 20mm cannon hits smoke puffs and it should be great.

PBNA-Boosher
01-11-2005, 05:25 AM
This would be fun to see, as long as the damage is still that of a bullet and not a cannon round. My only problem would be FPS loss. Not that it's such a big problem for me anymore that i bought my new PC (I'm getting between 60-90 fps) but some of the guys on the lower end of the spectrum, like me before, were getting 4 FPS.

But definitely, this would be cool to see.

chaikanut
01-11-2005, 04:21 PM
That would be like an engine startup for every burst every aircraft hands out. No thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

WWMaxGunz
01-11-2005, 05:45 PM
We have the occasional flashes at least.

GR142_Astro
01-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Good idea. I'm for any effect that helps the .50 gunnery. They are mostly invisible dark red steaks that disappear at seemingly a few meters.

Would be great to have realistic bright colored, staggered tracers and smoke + flash feedback.

http://www.web-birds.com/8th/339/gun/r59-11.jpg

FlakMagnent
01-11-2005, 08:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jurinko:
Viewing the guncamera from either Pacific or Europe, the hits from P-47/51 machineguns did produce, together with bright flashes as we have now, quite a lot of smoke puffs on the targeted plane. Make them roughly half of the size of 20mm cannon hits smoke puffs and it should be great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have alot of Arial Combat footage of p47's and p51's shooting down Luftwaffe aircraft and you can 9/10 times see some sign of contact from the .50's hitting the target. I sometimes find it hard to tell if I am hitting one in the game unless im 100m or so behind them.

Blackdog5555
01-12-2005, 01:28 AM
I was watching some GC footage today. And Yes yes the tracer for the 50s is way to small. Tracer fire was bright. the average tracer lasted for 750 yards but was very visable. This game you cant follow the tracers at all. Makes deflection shooting hard. of course.some P47, ive read didnt use tracer, they like all AP/I rounds. I do see flashes but smoke puffs would be fun.

OlegMaddox
01-12-2005, 04:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jurinko:
Viewing the guncamera from either Pacific or Europe, the hits from P-47/51 machineguns did produce, together with bright flashes as we have now, quite a lot of smoke puffs on the targeted plane. Make them roughly half of the size of 20mm cannon hits smoke puffs and it should be great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to say it to you, but it would take too much cpu power. 20mm's are fired in less amount than 12.7

jurinko
01-12-2005, 07:41 AM
well if only every 5th hit makes a smoke it should be enough..

Von_Zero
01-12-2005, 10:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GR142_Astro:
Good idea. I'm for any effect that helps the .50 gunnery. They are mostly invisible dark red steaks that disappear at seemingly a few meters.

Would be great to have realistic bright colored, staggered tracers and smoke + flash feedback.

http://www.web-birds.com/8th/339/gun/r59-11.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That pic is B/W and beside that is quite old. As already discussed in the case of the muzzle flashes, the b/w films are making the flashes to appear bigger, so one shouldn't expect a result the same size with the one seen in the pic.
Anyhow, it would be a nice adition, not only for .50, but for all weapons. Dunno how hard it would be to add it, but since there is already a similar effect when different parts (like ailerons) are blown off, aldough those mostly consist of smoke puffs, i suppose it wouldn't require much time.

GR142_Astro
01-12-2005, 10:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von_Zero:
That pic is B/W and beside that is quite old. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
01-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi,

I've no objection to this if it is optional in the conf file. Better still, Oleg, make the muzzle flashes have a similar light output to a 3 Megaton warhead going off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers,
Norris

LeadSpitter_
01-12-2005, 01:30 PM
maybe put them on the two inner or outer guns and similiar tracer brightness like those on the emil.

Its very very difficult to see them cross or maybe make the tracer bigger would help alot.

dont you find the bright large green russian tracers and white cannon much easier to aim especially long distance you can hit at .70 .80 out like a starwars gun with no decline in trajectory.

Isnt cannon suppost to be incrediably difficult to use in dogfights as every book i read every pilot has said. usually fighting with machine gun saving cannon for mid or heavy bomber.

SeaFireLIV
01-12-2005, 02:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OlegMaddox:

Sorry to say it to you, but it would take too much cpu power. 20mm's are fired in less amount than 12.7 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa! wait a minute! This isn`t Oleg! An imposter!

Von_Zero
01-13-2005, 03:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Isnt cannon suppost to be incrediably difficult to use in dogfights as every book i read every pilot has said. usually fighting with machine gun saving cannon for mid or heavy bomber. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
could you please name some of those books? I would be interested about them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

LeadSpitter_
01-13-2005, 04:51 AM
Wutz Galland - A Bird of Prey over the Channel Front. Written by Diego Zampini

G√ľnther Rall - First Wound. Written by Dariusz Tyminski.

Josef "Sepp" Wurmheller - The Growing of Ace. Written by Christer Bergstr√¬∂m.

Siergiey Luganski - Master of "TARAN" Attack. Written by Dariusz Tyminski.

Boris Safonov 's "British Show". Written by Christer Bergstr√¬∂m.

Ivan Kozhedub - Top Soviet Ace. Written by Dariusz Tyminski

Clarence "Bud" Anderson - in 1944 furball. Compiled by Dariusz Tyminski.

Donald J.M. Blakeslee and Battle of Germany, 1944. Written by Thomas McKelvey Cleaver.

Von_Zero
01-13-2005, 05:15 AM
ty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aaron_GT
01-13-2005, 06:10 AM
"I was watching some GC footage today. And Yes yes the tracer for the 50s is way to small. Tracer fire was bright. "

Bear in mind that the film may be more sensitive to brief flashes of light than the human eye and so the tracers may show up more brightly on some GC footage than the human eye would see. It all depends on the film stock.