PDA

View Full Version : Second wish! On the GUI this time.

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 02:13 PM
From within game it takes 5 mouseclicks to exit the game (the "are you sure" dialogbox included). It´s quite annoying.

Also to navigate within the sim to different features takes too long. Why must I follow the exact path backwards?

I thought computers were made to reduce unnecessary labour... like a contest for the most intelligent solution.

Hope they fix this.

Message Edited on 09/05/0307:43PM by F16_Filur

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 02:13 PM
From within game it takes 5 mouseclicks to exit the game (the "are you sure" dialogbox included). It´s quite annoying.

Also to navigate within the sim to different features takes too long. Why must I follow the exact path backwards?

I thought computers were made to reduce unnecessary labour... like a contest for the most intelligent solution.

Hope they fix this.

Message Edited on 09/05/0307:43PM by F16_Filur

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:00 PM
The keyboard with key buffer helps alot. I just hit the keys I need real fast and I bypass the intermediate menus.

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi, please explain this keyboard key buffer to me. Never heard of it.

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 10:53 AM
I agree. The options should be like in RavenShield. Where you can choose where you want to go, from where you currently are. (back to main menu, back to windows, etc)

The current system (or if you want to call it a system) is like running on a series of subwaystations, you gotta go back same way to got there.

As said before, the sim is great, but the GUI and the online chat is somewhat.. "frustrating"

Also, there is a BIG problem with the online GUI when pressing escape if you are hosting a dogfight server. After you have been shot down, and you want to respawn the button "Quit mission" is dangerously near the button "refly".

Worst part is that that button DOES NOT give a "are you sure you want to shut down the server??"" yes/no.

It just sends you straight to mission load screen!

Imagaine this system logic in an Airbus airliner. We would have a pilot error plane accident every day.

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Anyways keep up the good work!

/Petter_Gul
CO, Flygflottilj 16
#1 Swedish Virtual Squadron
http://www.f16vs.tk

"Slider.... You Stink..."

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 12:40 PM
I use the esc. key to reverse out of missions. Five clicks of the esc. key and then enter or y is a lot quicker and no mouse clicks. Enter key can take you the next screen sometimes, like in a mission briefing just hit enter to fly, you don't need to use the mouse.

<center>

http://www.imgmag.org/images/delta9tetra/lurch-avatar.gif

</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Yeah the first thing I do with new software is check for keyboard shortcuts the programmers slip in. Helps if your a programmer though. I only do a little Fortran but you learn to *think* like any programmer.

Like to start a mission from FMB...just Alt...2 hits on up arrow...ENTER...and you are loading mission and don't even see the difficulty screen.

Flanker 2.5 mission editor had a Ctrl+F and BAM your in the mission.

Funny though Oleg doesn't use any keyboard controls for letting you zoom out to 100% on the maps in the FMB and you can't get the stupid mouse on the tiny scroll elevator.

maps in the what?

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Message Edited on 09/06/0303:27PM by LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 04:38 PM
You is Wrong LEXX:: Alt+F...up arrow twice...ENTER. Be Sure. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

About the keyboard buffer...here is example that lets you avoid the "Quit" option. Assume you are in FMB (a rather brash assumption perhaps) looking at one of your mission maps, and you wish to exit FB, although why I would never know.

Hit these keys quickly Alt+F ... E ... Escape ... ENTER

And BAM you are at the Windows desktop.

You can do them one at a time and see the intermediate results. Or do them quickly and your computer remembers the sequence of key presses, at least up to 16 key presses are stored in the keyboard "buffer."

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Interesting stuff I didn´t know about... yes I remember Flanker has this convenient ctrl+F, but at least that´s documented! I really liked that editor, gave you a serious kind of feeling. And yeah, the maps in FB are also frustrating, the same "station by station" sequence up and down, and starting in an almost useless zoom in mode everytime. I would prefer the F10 like in Flanker where you get the whole map "folded out", and able to zoom in if u like. You could cut out squares with the mouse which became focused, and there was a way to draw a line between two points and get the distance. Would give us a more undisturbed simming. Flying a sim can be a real relaxation, but all the fuzz involved wears you down in the long run. I would rather see a really userfriendly sim, than for example scalable arcadesettings.

LEXX_Luthor wrote:
- Yeah the first thing I do with new software is check
- for keyboard shortcuts the programmers slip in.
- Helps if your a programmer though. I only do a
- little Fortran but you learn to *think* like any
- programmer.
-
- Like to start a mission from FMB...just Alt...2 hits
- on up arrow...ENTER...and you are loading mission
- and don't even see the difficulty screen.
-
- Flanker 2.5 mission editor had a Ctrl+F and BAM your
- in the mission.
-
- Funny though Oleg doesn't use any keyboard controls
- for letting you zoom out to 100% on the maps in the
- FMB and you can't get the stupid mouse on the tiny
- scroll elevator.
-
- maps in the what?
-
- /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
-
-
-
-
- Message Edited on 09/06/03 03:27PM by
- LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 11:11 PM
Ow come on, the interface isn't all that bad. try the "B-17, the meighty eigth's" interface!!

and I think this is the very least important thing that needs to be changed.

Changed, not fixed. you do fix things when they are wrong or broken.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 11:16 PM
F16_Filur wrote:
- From within game it takes 5 mouseclicks to exit the
- game (the "are you sure" dialogbox included). It´s
- quite annoying.
-
- Also to navigate within the sim to different
- features takes too long. Why must I follow the exact
- path backwards?
-
- I thought computers were made to reduce unnecessary
- labour... like a contest for the most intelligent
- solution.
-
- Hope they fix this.

LOL, this guys is a bag of laughs. F16, do you have to much time on your hands?

I aint a pimp no mo. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 11:37 PM
-- Interesting stuff I didn´t know about...

These are standard keyboard functions used by all "standardized" applications, even graphical MSDOS programs back in 1980s, long before our modern Windows.

Long before DOS Flanker 1.0 ran 100+ AI aircraft with no stutter on a 133MHz Pentium. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Message Edited on 09/06/0310:38PM by LEXX_Luthor

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 07:07 PM
What about yourself/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif ? I´m just expressing my opinion on the GUI, don´t know what you´re up too m8? Please crawl back to your bag..

m_preddy wrote:
-
-
- LOL, this guys is a bag of laughs. F16, do you have
- to much time on your hands?
-
- I aint a pimp no mo. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Message Edited on 09/07/0306:08PM by F16_Filur