PDA

View Full Version : Taking off (without falling out of my chair)...

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 05:47 PM
I'm a fairly experienced sim pilot, and I make a pretty good fist of flying most things, but this has got me stumped....

When taking off (in my trusty Stuka or 109) at a certain point the nose jerks left, and despite applying full right rudder for the rest of the take-off run I end up bouncing across some blokes vegetable patch until I've enough speed to lurch into the air....

By this point I'm normally banking right as well and using the 'whole body' method of trying to get the plane to go the other way (you know the one I mean, like when you realize you're not quite going to pull out of that loop!) and fall out of my chair.

Quite frankly it's getting embarrassing (and painful), I should be able to take-off for god's sake. Any ideas?

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 05:47 PM
I'm a fairly experienced sim pilot, and I make a pretty good fist of flying most things, but this has got me stumped....

When taking off (in my trusty Stuka or 109) at a certain point the nose jerks left, and despite applying full right rudder for the rest of the take-off run I end up bouncing across some blokes vegetable patch until I've enough speed to lurch into the air....

By this point I'm normally banking right as well and using the 'whole body' method of trying to get the plane to go the other way (you know the one I mean, like when you realize you're not quite going to pull out of that loop!) and fall out of my chair.

Quite frankly it's getting embarrassing (and painful), I should be able to take-off for god's sake. Any ideas?

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Now I know the patch was released the second I posted this message, but I still need help so bump and indeed, BUMP! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

*sits down and waits to get burried under the mass of patch threads...*

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 06:26 PM
Locking the tailwheel should help some.
Also, remember to advance the throttle smoothly and not too quickly. If you do it too fast, the torque generated by the sudden engine power will be very difficult to counter and will probably have you flying off to the side of the runway.
One last thing - remember to counter any amount of left torque by small rudder adjustments. If you let the left motion build up for too long, you'll find it very difficult to regain control.

Hope I helped your takeoff before you have some kind of serious back damage /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Sounds like a control issue. Disassemble your stick/pedals and clean the pots with rubbing alcohol. It really does wonders. Some need it more than others, depends on the quality of pot.

Other than that, check calibration.

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 07:00 PM
Do you have a key bound to lock the tailwheel?

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 07:02 PM
BlitzPig_DDT wrote:
- Sounds like a control issue. Disassemble your
- stick/pedals and clean the pots with rubbing
- alcohol. It really does wonders. Some need it more
- than others, depends on the quality of pot.
-
- Other than that, check calibration.
-

MS optical (FF) stick, and calibration's spot on, thanks for the input (pardon the pun) though... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I guess the tailwheel and smooth throttle control might do it, I'll have a go later. I do tend to ram the thing against the stops......

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Hm , I don't know, if I am online and in a hurry to take off (because there are some vulcher vulching about), I have no problem in gunning the throttle fast and still take off fairly straight (a little bit of snaking is involved), so it might be your rudder control.

Did you check if the rudder curve in game is configured to give you a full 100 deflection at full twist?

<p align="center">http://hometown.aol.de/Deathbrng/Sigfinal.jpg</p><p align="center">'Hmmm? I wonder what the red button is for........'</p><p align="center">HL Nick = BLUE_Schnitter</p>

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 07:23 PM
BlitzPig_DDT wrote:
- It really does wonders. Some need it more
- than others, depends on the quality of pot.

Hmmmm... "Quality of Pot". You sellin' any?

And, isn't it hilarious that the immediate response to your post was by one "LazyPotSmoker". LOL!

What has this forum turned into?

Sheeeeeesh!

GreyBeast_P39

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 07:38 PM
GreyBeast wrote:
- BlitzPig_DDT wrote:
-- It really does wonders. Some need it more
-- than others, depends on the quality of pot.
- Hmmmm... "Quality of Pot". You sellin' any?
- And, isn't it hilarious that the immediate response
- to your post was by one "LazyPotSmoker". LOL!
-
- What has this forum turned into?
-
- Sheeeeeesh!

Shouldn't that be Ha-Sheeeeeeeesh?

wakakakakakaka /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif