PDA

View Full Version : P-39 and P-63 question

Trollisboy
09-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Did any of the Allies fly P-39 and P-63 over Westeurope?

MvH Anders "Trollis" Bernhardsson

faustnik
09-21-2005, 10:50 AM
No, neither the USAAF or RAF flew them in the ETO. They did fly the P-39 against the LW in the MTO.

Trollisboy
09-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Ok thanks
Btw,
ETO = European theather
MTO = Mediterranean theater
right?

MvH Anders "Trollis" Bernhardsson

Bogun
09-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Brits flu few missions in P-39s (Aircobra I) over England in 1941.
Then they took them out of the ative service and gave to Russians.

SithSpeeder
09-21-2005, 12:42 PM
P-63 went to the Russians and Free French (see http://rwebs.net/dispatch/output.asp?ArticleID=30 for a good read on the P-63).

Another article I read implied that the USAAF nerfed the development of the P-39 and subsequent 63 early on, implying that the 63 (or equivalent) should have been out in 1941 or 42 (when it could have been useful). But by 1944-5, it was outclassed by Stangs and Lightnings that had full development programs to keep them up to snuff.

* _54th_SPeeder *

woofiedog
09-21-2005, 01:21 PM
SithSpeeder... Excellent article on the P-63
Thank's

VW-IceFire
09-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Some RAF Airacobra Mark I's (the P-400) flew missions in Europe. From what I understand, they flew no more than 4 days worth of missions and then were so poorly regarded that they were sent off.

Although the aircraft showed great promise, in actual practice it wasn't what the RAF was looking for.

Ultimately they needed something with more altitude performance, even the Spitfire at the time (I presume mostly Mark II and a few Mark V) was superior at altitude and had none of the shortcomings of the early P-39. So it was off to the VVS with them...and they turned out to be quite good for the Russians.

faustnik
09-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Some RAF Airacobra Mark I's (the P-400) flew missions in Europe. From what I understand, they flew no more than 4 days worth of missions and then were so poorly regarded that they were sent off.

Were these combat missions or just aircraft familiarization flights?

Fox_3
09-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by faustnik:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

Were these combat missions or just aircraft familiarization flights? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC they shot up a few barges or coastal shipping. But never encountered enemy aircraft.

faustnik
09-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Fox_3:

IIRC they shot up a few barges or coastal shipping. But never encountered enemy aircraft.

Thanks Fox, I didn't know that. If they fired their guns at something in anger, I'd say that qualifies as a combat mission.