PDA

View Full Version : Missing documentation and Start Menu items.

donpellegrino
12-20-2007, 10:47 PM
I just digitally purchased "Chessmaster XI: The Art of Learning" and I ran setup from the folder extracted from the ZIP file. The installer seemed to work but toward the end I was informed that a .pdf file could not be found. I hit ignore and the program in now installed but this is a bit sloppy. Do I need this file? How can I obtain it?

Also, I am running Vista and Chessmaster is missing from my Start menu. How do I add it to the menu?

donpellegrino
12-20-2007, 10:47 PM
I just digitally purchased "Chessmaster XI: The Art of Learning" and I ran setup from the folder extracted from the ZIP file. The installer seemed to work but toward the end I was informed that a .pdf file could not be found. I hit ignore and the program in now installed but this is a bit sloppy. Do I need this file? How can I obtain it?

Also, I am running Vista and Chessmaster is missing from my Start menu. How do I add it to the menu?

willy_297
12-21-2007, 12:34 AM
maybe u need to redownload.
so if u want i can send it to u by e mail if u pm me about ure email adress.

Ionut11
12-21-2007, 02:58 AM
Hi!
For Vista the games are not placed anymore on the start menu. Windows Vista has an Game Explorer where the game shortcut should be placed and other shortcuts asociated with the game(right-click on the shortcut). If you don't have the Adobe Reader installed on your PC the manual's shortcut will not be visible because that means that will be an invalid shortcut. This is valid for both XP and Vista OSs.

donpellegrino
12-21-2007, 09:47 AM
willy_297: Thanks for the offer but I don't have reason to suspect that the ZIP file was corrupted. I was able to extract the contents without error and I believe ZIP uses CRC checking to detect validity problems internally. The filesize is 1,949,324,587 bytes. Can you confirm that you also made the digital purchase and that you did not get the error regarding the missing PDF file?

lonut11: Thanks for the explaination. I guess I should have read some Vista documentation somewhere to have known that. Chessmaster does indeed appear in my Games Explorer. In fact, when I right click and select manual, the PDF I was missing opens. It must have been installed by one of the two patches.

Still when I select Start->All Programs->Games I see the Game Explorer launcher in addition to individual launchers for each of the other games listed in Game Explorer. I left the Gateway distribution of Vista in place so I don't know whether this is the default Vista behavior or a Gateway modification. Is there a way to have Game Explorer include or exclude members from the Start menu?

willy_297
12-21-2007, 11:22 AM
sorry Don pelligrinno i have purchased the box versionhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
But i think ure right for crc.
Good luck to you.
so vista like xp is tweakable i am sure u ll resolve youre problem.