PDA

View Full Version : looking back in Corsair

25th_Orwell-84
07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I am just getting back into PF after a very long time. I cannot recall how to go about setting up the veiws so that I can check my 6 in the corsair. That headrest is huge. Anyone know how to do this?

Again, sorry for this silly question

BTW I am using a Track IR

25th_Orwell-84
07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I am just getting back into PF after a very long time. I cannot recall how to go about setting up the veiws so that I can check my 6 in the corsair. That headrest is huge. Anyone know how to do this?

Again, sorry for this silly question

BTW I am using a Track IR

Platypus_1.JaVA
07-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Uhhmm, no-cockpit view?

Dunno really.

Crash_Moses
07-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Roger that! If you're using TIR then you should head over to www.mission4today.com (http://www.mission4today.com) and grab a couple of the TIR profiles. They're all good but you'll have to experiment with each one to see what fits you best.

Also, you can get some profiles at the TIR home page ( www.naturalpoint.com (http://www.naturalpoint.com) ). There are some good ones there...check the forums.

S!

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Checking your six in the Corsair while in locked-pit servers is really only done by opening the canopy to look. I open and close my canopy in a corsair during a fight incessantly.

I find it better to simply make every attempt to NOT let anyone get there to start with.

TB

Fireball_
07-11-2007, 11:34 AM
The Corsair has a rear-view mirror you can toggle on or off. I don't believe it's mapped to any key by default, but you can map it to whatever key you want.

Fireball_
07-11-2007, 11:44 AM
And if the server allows external views, hit F2 and swing your TrackIR around to check behind you. You may want to map this to an easy to access button on your joystick, so you can do it quickly (and often http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

25th_Orwell-84
07-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Ace3s Hgh 2 has the option for the pilot to "Save views". IE, when you look back, you can adjust the view to look around the side of the headrest and down the empanage to your 6 oclock position. Is such an option available?

If you open the canopy and look back witht eh TIR, does your pilot character automatically pop his head out the canopy and look at the 6 oclock position?

BrotherVoodoo
07-11-2007, 01:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ace3s Hgh 2 has the option for the pilot to "Save views". IE, when you look back, you can adjust the view to look around the side of the headrest and down the empanage to your 6 oclock position. Is such an option available? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Negative. When you turn your head with TIR you simply swivel your head in the cockpit to look over your shoulder.

Giantiguana20
07-11-2007, 03:42 PM
If possible, fly with a wingman. Its good with all planes, but for some of the American models its almost a requirement. Doesn't do you any good to be able to take those hits if there's noone there to wipe him off of you!

stansdds
07-12-2007, 04:25 AM
Corsairs really do need to work in pairs to be most effective. The rear view with the cockpit "on" is horrible, as it was with the real Corsairs. Real F4U-1's had a single rear view mirror at the top of the canopy, all subsequent Corsairs had one mirror at the top, and one on each side. In IL2 we only have the one at the top, if you computer can handle it, I suggest you use it. Between that, using TrackIR for faster and easier panning and using your elevators and rudder to wiggle around a bit, you can keep a reasonably good watch on your six.

WOLFMondo
07-12-2007, 07:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
Checking your six in the Corsair while in locked-pit servers is really only done by opening the canopy to look. I open and close my canopy in a corsair during a fight incessantly.

I find it better to simply make every attempt to NOT let anyone get there to start with.

TB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. I usually fly with the canopy open then forget to close it in combat!

UgoRipley
07-12-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm not a Corsair expert, but your question made me think about the first time I flew on a "full switch" server.
I had to take off but my front view was blocked by the engine, so I was "forced" to zig-zag along the runway, as real pilots did (...do).

Just to add my 2 cents advice to all the others, I guess you'll also have to fly S-turns to better check your six. This, added to flying with a wingman, will give you total coverage.

Crash_Moses
07-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Good point UgoRipley...IRL Corsair pilots would often 'kick' the rudder to check their six.

danjama
07-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Shift-F1