PDA

View Full Version : Would you be Ok if they killed Desmond off . . . .

ProdiGurl
08-28-2011, 07:33 PM
. . and took a different story line with maybe someone else who picks up the story at another angle thru their lineage?

Not even killing off ~ they could make up something dark and awesome as to why he's been put on a backburner..... maybe bring him back in later on ...?

I'm still not that partial to Desmond's character to be mortally wounded if he was off'd & they brought in another character for the Animus chair to explore new avenues thru their bloodlines.

I'm not saying I WANT him gone at all, just exploring opinions - esp. from anyone who's played AC1 and have more story knowledge than I do.

*if this is a repeat thread, please lock it - I searched but didn't find one*
thanks.

Jexx21
08-28-2011, 07:40 PM
No.

ProdiGurl
08-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Jexx21:
No.

In AC1, was it always Desmond from the start?
Or did they use Subject 16 first and then introduce Desmond in the chair?

Moultonborough
08-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jexx21:
No.

In AC1, was it always Desmond from the start?
Or did they use Subject 16 first and then introduce Desmond in the chair? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was always Desmond. Subject 16 was only mentioned once(I think) in AC1. His existence came more into focus in AC2 and Brotherhood. You kill Desmond you kill the story.

Dag_B
08-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I hope they'll do games with other characters. The next 10 years with always Desmond in the games even after the "Original" Assassins Creed trilogy will be finished would be boring.

And they did other characters in other media like in the comics from "The Fall" so there is no reason to stick to Desmond if he did his part.

Gasketfuse
08-28-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm fine with that so long as Desmond's story is finished first (after Revelations and AC3).

CRUDFACE
08-28-2011, 09:27 PM
To do all this with Desmond and then just replace him? No way. Let his story end nicels, then when ubi milks this series dry, let them pick somebody else.

dxsxhxcx
08-28-2011, 09:32 PM
nah, once they finish Desmond' story IMO they should make some games about Daniel Cross (showing us the events of the comic) and Subject 16 (showing us his life at Abstergo and some of his ancestors)...

if they create another protagonist to continue from where Desmond will stop I don't think they'll be able to create a good excuse/story (at least not better than the current one) to make this new protagonist use the animus...

naran6142
08-28-2011, 09:41 PM
after desmond story is done they will probably make more games with different characters. but i doubt that they will completely kill him off.

or maybe he going to die in order to save the world at the end of the series.

i dont mind either way as long as hes not cut out in the middle of the current story.

Altair661
08-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Hell no. And that would defeat the purpose of everything we've done. Besides, all that stuff the TWCB said at the end of ACB was pretty much meant for Desmond, as well as the The Truth, the whole "finding eve" and "the path has been cleared" it was would be pretty retarted if they killed him off. If they do, it better be a good reason. But I dont think Ubisoft is THAT crazy.

Unless we've been playing as Desmond's son this whole time. (Your mind has just been blown) haha!

Jexx21
08-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Altair661:
Hell no. And that would defeat the purpose of everything we've done. Besides, all that stuff the TWCB said at the end of ACB was pretty much meant for Desmond, as well as the The Truth, the whole "finding eve" and "the path has been cleared" it was would be pretty retarted if they killed him off. If they do, it better be a good reason. But I dont think Ubisoft is THAT crazy.

Unless we've been playing as Desmond's son this whole time. (Your mind has just been blown) haha!

I actually think that we might be playing as Desmond's descendant far into the future, who needs help with another Assassin vs Templar thing or a Solar Flare. I mean, if we suddenly popped out into a first-person world, it would make sense why even Desmond's gameplay is in third person. (At least in AC1, seeing as that game seemed to want to make the Desmond sequences as realistic as possible)

GunnarGunderson
08-29-2011, 12:01 AM
After playing a certain game that came out last year I always expect the game to kill off the main character, so I wouldn't be surprised. Would I be okay with it? Depends if they give me a reason to like Desmond in Revelations

ProdiGurl
08-29-2011, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by BradKinn:
After playing a certain game that came out last year I always expect the game to kill off the main character, so I wouldn't be surprised. Would I be okay with it? Depends if they give me a reason to like Desmond in Revelations

Oh I know the game . . that killed it for me becuz I was very attached to that character.
I've read it more than once here that players really aren't that attached to Desmond (yet), so that's why I wondered how it would go over if they brought in another Animus character to take over his part - they could actually expand the story into other directions. It would seem using the same one could limit things over time.

Or like I mentioned, you could just 'park' Desmond & use another person for a game or 2 & go back to him when .......... he comes out of his coma or the asylum? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

ShaneO7K
08-29-2011, 05:58 AM
Desmond is one of the main reasons I find AC good, the modern day story line is much more interesting to me than the ancestors.
It would be annoying to find out the games have been wasting time building Desmond into the "Ultimate Assassin" just to see him die as soon as he has seen some action. Desmond is also a really interesting character ( this is easier to notice if you have actually played from AC1 right up to ACB) and now in ACR we will get to dive straight into his back story which will also allow us to see more modern day assassin's and "The Farm".

D.I.D.
08-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Desmond is a beige piece of cardboard. I'd be very happy if they'd kill him off. It doesn't make any sense when we see this Keanu-ish guy going "woah" at everything, and are then invited to believe he solves complex puzzles and understands political history.

Equally, I don't want to see him replaced by gaming's usual idea of a more complex character, which means I don't want to see Daniel Cross. A nose ring, spiked hair and personality problems do not equal a deep character.

I hope they give us a well-educated, disciplined person we can believe in the role. The game is so huge now and the main character is really a minor one, so Ubisoft wouldn't be taking much of a financial risk if they gave us a female character and/or a non-white character.

rileypoole1234
08-29-2011, 07:25 AM
No. Because if they kill Desmond they probably won't introduce another character. They would have to after AC3 and after they introduce another person who just happens to have ancestors from all over the world with ties to Pieces of Eden. But I wish they don't.

*Edited because of my stupidity.

NewBlade200
08-29-2011, 07:59 AM
I don't like Des but he is the vessel in which we get to witness the life of the true main character of the AC series. Shaun.

luckyto
08-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Yes. Not that I dislike him, I just am open to the idea.

ProdiGurl
08-29-2011, 08:35 AM
So is Desmond the ONLY human alive who has assassin bloodlines? If not, then there's nothing technically limiting them from grabbing another modern day descendant from the assassin line & carrying on this same mission in different parameters, in different eras.
?

Animuses
08-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by NewBlade200:
I don't like Des but he is the vessel in which we get to witness the life of the true main character of the AC series. Shaun.
Definitely, but I still like good 'ol Dezzy.

dxsxhxcx
08-29-2011, 10:09 AM
So is Desmond the ONLY human alive who has assassin bloodlines? If not, then there's nothing technically limiting them from grabbing another modern day descendant from the assassin line & carrying on this same mission in different parameters, in different eras.
?

use the same formula but with different (modern day) assassins?! No, thanks, IMO if they want to do something like this they should just exclude the animus and keep telling stories about other assassins without the animus...

ProdiGurl
08-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
?

use the same formula but with different (modern day) assassins?! No, thanks, IMO if they want to do something like this they should just exclude the animus and keep telling stories about other assassins without the animus... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh sorry, I must not have made my meaning clear - I meant use another Modern day "Desmond" in the animus chair who has the same bloodline as Desmond & carry on the mission from a different past era.
Not modern day assassins who are alive today.
But that would be a kool morph of like the last installment of the AC series where you've moved up to present-day & there are actually secret assassins nobody knows about who are carrying on missions.

Animuses
08-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Nope, it's Desmond's story.

ProdiGurl
08-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Well what we've had up until now is Desmond's story, yes.
But his character's change; Altair to Ezio & whoever will be after Ezio in the next installment.

Before Desmond was Subject 16 - you just weren't introduced to him (or whatever priors there were to him).

This goes back to my belief that people are stuck on what they first play and accept in a series.
Exactly why I don't want them to end Ezio - I never played Altair in AC1 so I have no affection toward his character yet like I have for Ezio who was my first & only character I identified with.

But I do understand why plenty of people wouldn't want that change. I don't care if they keep using him as long as they give us endearing protaganists Desmond can continue through.

ShaneO7K
08-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Well what we've had up until now is Desmond's story, yes.
But his character's change; Altair to Ezio & whoever will be after Ezio in the next installment.

Before Desmond was Subject 16 - you just weren't introduced to him (or whatever priors there were to him).

This goes back to my belief that people are stuck on what they first play and accept in a series.
Exactly why I don't want them to end Ezio - I never played Altair in AC1 so I have no affection toward his character yet like I have for Ezio who was my first & only character I identified with.

But I do understand why plenty of people wouldn't want that change. I don't care if they keep using him as long as they give us endearing protaganists Desmond can continue through.

Desmond is a pretty good and likeable character, and also is pretty normal person dragged into a bad situation.

His story is actually far more interesting than his ancestors in my opinion when you play from AC1 up and now in ACR people will get to know him better.