PDA

View Full Version : a bit of a snoozer?

joe_mamacita
10-15-2009, 09:22 PM
OK, so after 20 minutes of cutscenes and tutorials (I mean, c'mon...it's not rocket science!) the game is finally beginning and I'm pretty much bored stiff.

Does the game ever pick up speed, or is it pretty much a slow moving game a la Morrowind or Dungeon Lords?

I know this style appeals to a lot of people, and I'm not knocking it or anybody who enjoys it. It's just that I don't have a lot of time to play anymore, and if the game requires a lot of minutiae to complete, I'd rather not commit to it.

Thanks in advance,

JM

Dec.2012
10-15-2009, 09:59 PM
I had the same feeling last year when I first tried playing. The speed is about the same throughout the game, but you get more skills and weapons as you kill your main targets.

What I found made it fun was doing all the investigations, and using the maps received to make a perfect assassination.

But, honestly, for the most part, you need some interest in this kind of game.

Xanatos2007
10-15-2009, 10:01 PM
The first memory block is a tutorial for people who've never played a videogame before, so it's expected to be rather slow-paced. Why we can't skip the tutorial after playing it for the billionth time, I don't know. The rest of the game is pretty intriguing though, provided you actually pay attention to the story and not just run around hacking everything with 2 legs.

agentpoop
10-15-2009, 10:41 PM
once you get to about mem block 4 it picked up more speed since most of our boundaries were dropped and we got alot of upgrades.

Grandmaster_Z
10-16-2009, 06:47 AM
jm, you might want to stick to mindless shooters, sounds like thats what you usually play

joe_mamacita
10-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
jm, you might want to stick to mindless shooters, sounds like thats what you usually play

LOL. Was wondering how long it would take for the sniping to start! At least most of you have the maturity to comprehend an honest question.

At any rate, I have this thing called a "life" (you know... wife, kids job, dog....that sort of thing) so I'm lucky to play more than an 2-3 days per week and rarely get more than 2 hours of uninterrupted time.

As a result, it took me almost 3 months to finish KOTOR and even longer to finish Morrowind (hard to remember the details of an obscure conversation that occurred 3 weeks ago).

I find hack-n-slash/mindless shooters to be painfully boring, but there aren't too many options that fall somewhere between Star Wars Battlefront and Neverwinter Nights.

I was hoping AC would be that game.

Any questions?

JM

joe_mamacita
10-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
The first memory block is a tutorial for people who've never played a videogame before, so it's expected to be rather slow-paced. Why we can't skip the tutorial after playing it for the billionth time, I don't know. The rest of the game is pretty intriguing though, provided you actually pay attention to the story and not just run around hacking everything with 2 legs.

I think I'm a little confused (about a lot things, not just this game :P).

After the opening cutscene/back story, I did the "crowd push" and other tutorial exercises. Then I did the cutscene with the Templars and met the master in the Tower and got ripped on by homeboy's brother (went to bed before the fight sequence started, will try it tonight or tomorrow).

Are you saying this is still part of the tutorial? If so, then why make us go through those stoopid exercises in the first place? (rhetorical question....no answer needed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

I'll give it a few more days and see how it goes. Already paid for it, so I might as well stick with it a little longer.

Thanks for the input everybody. It's much appreciated.

JM

thekyle0
10-16-2009, 08:28 AM
I've never even heard of Dungeon Lords.

But seriously, it could be argued that the game was in the tutorial until the point where you begin investigating Tamir. (first target). Before you leave for Damascus, the game is teaching you how to investigate targets while you search for the traitor in Masyaf.

joe_mamacita
10-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by thekyle0:
I've never even heard of Dungeon Lords.

But seriously, it could be argued that the game was in the tutorial until the point where you begin investigating Tamir. (first target). Before you leave for Damascus, the game is teaching you how to investigate targets while you search for the traitor in Masyaf.

OK, I guess that makes sense. Thanks. If I can complete most investigations in 2-3 hours, I can do them in two sittings or less and actually have a chance of finishing the game in less than 3 months. Will see how the first one goes.

BTW, I think Dungeon Lords came out in 2005. It was actually a pretty good balance betweeen hack n slash, problem solving and story line. Unfortunately, after about 20 hours or so, you get to a puzzle that - even with the walkthrough - is nearly impossible to complete. Even veterans acknowledged as much and some recommended hexing your way past it.

Thanks again, everybody, I think I've heard enough to stick with it. Who knows, maybe my next post will be about strategy? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JM

LaurenIsSoMosh
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
At first I thought someone had somehow managed to get their hands on a copy of ACII early. Scared me there for a second. @_@
Originally posted by joe_mamacita:
I'll give it a few more days and see how it goes. Already paid for it, so I might as well stick with it a little longer. The tutorial is really slow, and some of the cutscenes can go on for four or five minutes, but if you stick with it, I'm sure you'll be glad you did.

Here's a word of advice: if time is really important, only do the minimal number of investigations. There are six investigations per mission, but you only have to complete a minimal three in order to find out enough about your target to assassinate him.

If you complete all six investigations per mission, it can take incredibly long. But doing the minimal three is much quicker.

Also, the quickest type of investigations are pickpockets and eavesdrops. Never accept Informant quests because they will give you flag races and kill challenges which can be pretty hard to do and might take as long as ten minutes.

X10J
10-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Also, the quickest type of investigations are pickpockets and eavesdrops. Never accept Informant quests because they will give you flag races and kill challenges which can be pretty hard to do and might take as long as ten minutes.

realy i did the informants killing missions in like thirty seconds to a minute ten seconds

iamaltair
10-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by X10J:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, the quickest type of investigations are pickpockets and eavesdrops. Never accept Informant quests because they will give you flag races and kill challenges which can be pretty hard to do and might take as long as ten minutes.

realy i did the informants killing missions in like thirty seconds to a minute ten seconds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, i've never taken 10 minute's on an informant mission.

phimo123-FR
10-17-2009, 03:08 PM
With skills, you can actually complete a whole assassination sequence in 15 or 30 minutes... (well... I was able to do that for my second play-through ) Sure, you won't have the time to complete all the tasks, but the assassination will be unlocked.

LaurenIsSoMosh
10-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by iamaltair:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by X10J:
realy i did the informants killing missions in like thirty seconds to a minute ten seconds Yeah, i've never taken 10 minute's on an informant mission. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well aren't I special. >_>

All I know is that I can walk away from a pickpocket investigation in fifteen seconds or less with no effort, an eavesdrop in thirty seconds or less while going to grab a bowl of cereal, and sometimes three or four minutes over the course of three tries and a lot of frustration when told to kill five targets who are spread out over some confusing map and all the while there are red alerts and soldiers on the prowl for me, and when I blend to hide from them I get slammed around by crazy people.

"Seven years of bad luck? Preposterous!" I exclaimed in a laugh. And now look at me, five years later. Can't even assassinate people without screwing up.

thekyle0
10-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Those are easier if you just stock up on throwing knives and take out the targets from 2 stories above. It's even better to clear out the rooftop guards that are within about 60 meters of the informant before even talking to the informant. Almost impossible to screw up unless you're trying at that point.

Grandmaster_Z
10-17-2009, 07:48 PM
that last informant mission where you have to kill 5 templars is challenging. it took me a while to get that one.