PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cheap graphics card advice

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Hi,

Anyone recommend an inexpensive graphics card to replace my GeForce2 MX 400 64MB? I'd prefer to get something less than 60GBP that offers something approaching twice the performance of this.

Also, the card must support 4x AGP.

I've looked around Tom's hardware and the results appear to be 'inconclusive' to say the least.

For instance, how does a 128MB Radeon 7500 (4x) compare?
Or, how about a 64MB GeForce 3 Ti4200?

Any ideas?

Norris

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Hi,

Anyone recommend an inexpensive graphics card to replace my GeForce2 MX 400 64MB? I'd prefer to get something less than 60GBP that offers something approaching twice the performance of this.

Also, the card must support 4x AGP.

I've looked around Tom's hardware and the results appear to be 'inconclusive' to say the least.

For instance, how does a 128MB Radeon 7500 (4x) compare?
Or, how about a 64MB GeForce 3 Ti4200?

Any ideas?

Norris

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 06:24 PM
The Ti4200 is a GeForce 4.

In general, I'd advise spending no more than $150 US on a new card. Try to get a 128MB version if possible, and avoid an "MX" anything when it comes to nVidia chips. The MX series is low budget and low performance, and in many cases is slower than the previous generation of cards (such as the GF4 MX vs the GF3 Ti series).

Getting twice the performance of your old card will be tough, depending on how you look at it. Raw FPS scores in FB depend most on the amount of RAM you have and your CPU speed. You shouldm however, be able to run at higher resolutions or with more "pretty" options enabled with a faster card.

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 06:29 PM
Thanks.

There was a mistake on the first post; it was a GF3 Ti200.

The rest of the system is an ECS K7S5A, 1.6 XP AMD with 512MB RAM.

Maybe I am wishing for 2x the performance but that information is as useful as a card recommendation.

Cheers,
Norris

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 06:58 PM
If you're in the market for 4X AGP, you might keep your eyes peeled for GeForce Ti4600s, since they're being replaced by the next generation 8X 5800 series cards, and the high end users will be letting them go for a very reasonable price, and the retailers are going to want to free up shelf space for the next generation. I've seen them here in San Diego for $150 US at a number of outlets (Frys, CompUSA). I imagine that you might find a used unit on eBay or some other web flea market venue dirt cheap.

I have a 4X Ti4600/128Mb in my primary CPU, and an 8X Ti4200/128Mb in the other, and they are quite comparable, esp. when you consider that the 8X card is supposed to be much faster(if you have the 8X capable MoBo). It's a very capable video card, IMO.

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" - LCOL Don Blakeslee, CO, 4th FG, March, 1944