PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Forgotten Battles?

dandrader
02-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi,

I played IL-2 Sturmovik a long time ago and now I want to buy the IL-2 Forgotten Battles Gold Pack but I just can't find it for sale. What happened? Looks like only Pacific Fighters is out there today.

I also stopped playing IL-2 (and following its community) a long time ago (mainly due to the lack of a *good* joystick), so I don't know what happened in the meanwhile.

Best Regards,
Daniel d'Andrada T. de Carvalho

dandrader
02-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi,

I played IL-2 Sturmovik a long time ago and now I want to buy the IL-2 Forgotten Battles Gold Pack but I just can't find it for sale. What happened? Looks like only Pacific Fighters is out there today.

I also stopped playing IL-2 (and following its community) a long time ago (mainly due to the lack of a *good* joystick), so I don't know what happened in the meanwhile.

Best Regards,
Daniel d'Andrada T. de Carvalho

Philipscdrw
02-07-2006, 07:45 AM
I think Amazon has some copies, if you don't mind buying on-line.

Skycat_2
02-07-2006, 10:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dandrader:
I want to buy the IL-2 Forgotten Battles Gold Pack but I just can't find it for sale. What happened? Looks like only Pacific Fighters is out there today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That has been a common observance lately. Gold Pack and Ace Expansion Pack especially seem to have been discontinued from Ubi Soft's inventory, and some places are selling them cheap to clear out last copies while other vendors are taking advantage of the sudden demand and are asking outrageous prices.

Supposedly a major combo pack on DVD will be released soon; it will have Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion and Pacific Fighters packaged as one game and probably at the most current version. If the material from the upcoming 4.03m patch is to be included, it may be possible that the DVD will go 'gold' as soon as the patch material has been thoroughly tested. Some international vendors (including European Ubi Soft pages) were advertising the release date of the DVD as being Feb. 17 and were calling the title Air Combat Collection. I suggest you wait about two weeks to find out 'what is what' with the DVD trilogy pack.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also stopped playing IL-2 (and following its community) a long time ago (mainly due to the lack of a *good* joystick), so I don't know what happened in the meanwhile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not sure what you mean here. A short timeline is:

1. Forgotten Battles was released in early 2003. Advertised as a 'sequel', it was actually designed to replace "IL-2 Sturmovik." It has all the same maps and planes plus many more, and the graphic detail is higher.

2. Upgrade patches for FB gave us a flyable version of the P-51D and some Western European maps.

3. A semi-endorsed addon called "Battle Over Europe" was released by third-party developers through Justflight.com in late 2003. The developers involved are active in the FB community and closely ***ociated with Oleg Maddox's team. BOE was important because it was a major step in expanding the focus of FB away from the Eastern European theater.

4. The official expansion pack "Ace Expansion Pack" was released in early 2004. This expansion was mostly a varied collection of new flyables embracing prewar designs through late-war and concept aircraft. The 'new' maps were recycled from the FB v1.21 patch, but AEP had several new Eastern Front campaigns including Romanian and Nieman-Normandie careers complete with accompanying language packs. No new 'Western Front' campaigns were included, however, despite the included maps for Normandy and Ardennes and new P-38 and P-51 flyables; you still needed "Battle Over Europe" for USAAF and RAF campaigns. "Gold Pack" was released concurrently to "Ace Expansion Pack", probably to phase out single copies of Forgotten Battles.

5. After AEP's release, the independant developer behind "Battle Over Europe" announced he was working in partnership with 1C:MG games to coordinate and develop a new game based on "Forgotten Battles"; this of course became "Pacific Fighters." After much speculation within the community throughout PF's development, 1C:MG decided to make it possible to combine Pacific Fighters to FB+AEP as an expansion pack in addition to its original concept as a stand-alone game.

6. Pacific Fighters was released in late 2004 and was immediately plagued by lukewarm reviews, internet piracy and a rumored trademark suit. This is unfortunate because PF introduced some exciting new features into the series, the most obvious being moving, functional aircraft carriers. Maddox Games has released several additional aircraft, maps and objects in a series of 'upgrade' patches; the soon to be released 'Free Addon' will be an exciting enhancement to the series; see the Pacific Fighters home site for details.

7. The future for FB/PF seems to be with three upcoming addons that were developed for the Russian market but may be released worldwide. The first one scheduled for worldwide release will determine the fate of the others; the upcoming one is centered around the Pe-2 bomber. The other addons will focus on operations in Manchuria and a 'what if' extended war between Germany and Russia.

dandrader
02-07-2006, 10:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
That has been a common observance lately. Gold Pack and Ace Expansion Pack especially seem to have been discontinued from Ubi Soft's inventory, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Skycat_2,

Thanks a lot for your thorough reply. It was really helpful.

I was not aware of this DVD release. I will wait to see what's about this "Air Combat Collection".

MLudner
02-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Just in case you want it now rather then whenever the super group is going to come out; I was able to purchase a copy of FB Gold Pack from CompUSA. Check their website.

Xiolablu3
02-07-2006, 02:57 PM
HI thee is soon to be a DVD released with every game needed to play online. FB+AEP+PF+patches.

You may be best waiting for this release as it is fantastic value. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Taylortony
02-07-2006, 03:18 PM
you can buy the gold pack on a dvd from ebay Germany now