PDA

View Full Version : vista and il46!

The_Ant
01-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Hi there!

How many of you gents have been able to play il46 with win vista.
Iam only able to install the game but when i press the start icon it doesn't work,i have tried with different modes as win 95, win98-me and winxp service pak 2 mode, and as best get the error you are missing file blabla.dll .
Ive tried too install the dll files and it still doesn't work.
Anybody know something about this,any help would be thankfull.

flox
01-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I was able to run 4.05 in Vista, but I never actually played it because there are no vista drivers for my stick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

So I'm not sure why you are having this problem. Are you running the final release version, or one of the Betas/ Release Candidates?

VW-IceFire
01-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Knowing which .DLL file is probably going to be key.

You might want to try running the games graphics in Direct3D mode instead of OpenGL. Video drivers are just not there yet with Vista. They are all rush jobs in beta that don't seem to work properly.

Heavy_Weather
01-30-2007, 05:50 PM
this is a bit OT, but i picked up a copy of office 2007, get ready to relearn all that stuff if you guys use it only a daily basis.

flox
01-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I heard a bit about that Heavy_Weather. Learning curve aside, what do you think about the changes? Upgrade or Downgrade?

F0_Dark_P
01-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Vista aint worth it right now couse:

1. the anti-virus programs will get harder to protect the computer couse vista dont let it work freely.

2.It is demanding of your computer

3.And there are this thing out already that makes it easy for hackers to hack you

4. Driver suport is bad right now

Nah use Xp for a while more http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

Akronnick
01-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm going to treat Vista the same way I've treated every new version Windoze: Let the ubergeeks play with it for six months or a year and then upgrade when hardware, software, etc, catch up to it.

I'm quite happy with my OS, (well maybe not 'quite' happy) and I see no reason to go 'all-in' with an OS that's been out for all of fifteen minutes.

Is there any reason to upgrade other than stroking your own ego, i.e., I've got more cash to dump into my rig than you do?

Heavy_Weather
01-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by flox:
I heard a bit about that Heavy_Weather. Learning curve aside, what do you think about the changes? Upgrade or Downgrade?

well its a good upgrade but it appears they tried to make all the tools SO convenient that you must "re-learn" where everything is, otherwise it looks like a OS X interface ripoff applied to Office 2003.

office 03 doc's are compatible with 07 without any problems so far so that is cool. Vista on the other hand might be a different story.

Heavy_Weather
01-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Akronnick:
I'm going to treat Vista the same way I've treated every new version Windoze: Let the ubergeeks play with it for six months or a year and then upgrade when hardware, software, etc, catch up to it.

I'm quite happy with my OS, (well maybe not 'quite' happy) and I see no reason to go 'all-in' with an OS that's been out for all of fifteen minutes.

Is there any reason to upgrade other than stroking your own ego, i.e., I've got more cash to dump into my rig than you do?

yeah, me too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

SithSpeeder
01-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Akronnick said:
Is there any reason to upgrade other than stroking your own ego Whoa, easy there--the guy asked a simple question. If you can't help him, so be it and move along.

If you buy a new, pre-built machine it comes with Vista. I mean you typically may have the option to get the "old" XP, but why would you if the price is nearly the same?

Anyways, Ant, I hope you figure it out (sorry, no answer here...I'm doing what Akronnick said http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ). I've heard what IceFire has found...DirectX must be used, not OpenGL.

[Hey, what's that flag...red with yellow cross?]

* _54th_Speeder *

"You assume too much."
--Padme

Akronnick
01-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by SithSpeeder:
Akronnick said: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is there any reason to upgrade other than stroking your own ego Whoa, easy there--the guy asked a simple question. If you can't help him, so be it and move along.

If you buy a new, pre-built machine it comes with Vista. I mean you typically may have the option to get the "old" XP, but why would you if the price is nearly the same?

Anyways, Ant, I hope you figure it out (sorry, no answer here...I'm doing what Akronnick said http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ). I've heard what IceFire has found...DirectX must be used, not OpenGL.

[Hey, what's that flag...red with yellow cross?]

* _54th_Speeder *

"You assume too much."
--Padme
*** </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't mean my last comment as a dig in any way, My apologies if anyone took it as such, that was not what I meant at all.

But what do you get from upgrading now, unless you are one of those ubergeeks whose main reason for having a computer in the first place is to fiddle with it. If that's what gets your blood going, by all means, dig in, us PC mortals depend on youse guys to figure out how to make our rigs work.

But if the only thing you know about Windows Vista is that the box is aqua instead of blue, now is probably NOT a good time to go poking around in your OS with a stick. I know that's all I'd be able to do with it right now.

And if you just got a new build PC, the d@mn thing ought to work as soon as you pull it out of the box, no fiddling with a screwdriver, no poking with a stick should be needed.

I'm not saying that I don't thinlk Vista is good bad or indifferent, it's just that I don't feel comfortable pinning my whole system to what is essentially untested code, for all we know Vista could have a HUGE security hole that could cause well, I don't like to speculate.

But let's take a look at things that as of now may not work as intended in Vista:

Il-2:FB;AEP;PF;Pe-2;SoM;1946
CH control manager
Nostromo Loadout manager
TrackIR
Anything that runs in anything other than DirectX 10(Oh wait, that's just about everything)
Mozilla Firefox
the list goes on...

not that it matters, any of the first three are complete showstoppers for me.

When I upgraded to Windows XP, I (inadvertantly) said goodbye not only to Janes USAF (which was my favorite game in those days), but to the automatic profile loading capability of Saiteks programming software.

It won't happen to me again.

AWL_Spinner
01-31-2007, 02:40 AM
Continuing the OT, Office 2007 is a genuine upgrade - it's great. Love it, been using it for about the last five months and it's a world away from 2003. If it's ripped off OS X then imitation is the sincerest form of flattery eh? I gather it'll look slightly different when it hits the Mac, however.

Doubt I'll bother with Vista though, sounds rubbish!

The_Ant
01-31-2007, 02:53 AM
Too Akronnick!

why i choosed too upgrade to vista was not of being a softwaregeek,i upgraded because of my xp was an ripped one and didnt work as it should because of that.The only thing i can say about that is who would like to buy a full product for a s.it load of cash,when MS can reduce the price so it cost as much as win 95-98 and win me did, the price tag was too high ┬┤for me then.Im not justiffying the use of illegal software,i have all my games in original,i bought an OEM version of vista since the price tag was right and i just upgraded my computer so it will be playable for about 2 years.
And how am do i feel about vista this far, having it for just one day.
It rocks! Not because of the Mac os like system,but its rock stable this far,games that laged like h ell before (NWN2) (Ghost recon advanced warfighter) and the demo for Armed assault (arma-A) BF2142 Runs steadilly with a fps boost of 20-30 fps.My friends have the same lag problems with a original xp.
The computer starts much quicker than xp used to do,and those games i have tried this far has been totally different games what they used too be before vista.As for the thing i have read about vista being slow,i dont notice that at all its fast everything i open,start comes with an instant.The only problem i have had this far is of course il46, i installed it and it whont start it cheks for the dvd then it whont countinue any longer.Have found today (iam at work now)that a new graphic driver has been released as of yeasterday must have missed it.
Will try this when i get home from work and see if it works then (hopefully)
Otherwise i have too play CFS3 urk puke.

Heavy_Weather
01-31-2007, 09:27 AM
well its good to hear some good news about vista for once. we all will eventually have to install this OS in the future so why not help each other out along the way eh? just like with XP and all its beta testing we done for them, we will do the same for Vista.

Lets try to remember, this is man made stuff we're dealing with and its not going to be perfect in the beginning by all means.

i would like to see more posts regarding this OS and how it works with software so keep em comin'!

HW

lateral-g
01-31-2007, 11:01 AM
So...........will Oleg's SoW be optimized for Vista or XP?

-G-

flox
01-31-2007, 04:24 PM
The most recent thing Oleg has said about optimizations as far as I know was something along the lines of "I cannot say it will be optimized for this or optimized for that. We will make the decision when the time gets closer".

That was fairly recent (he was speaking about dual-core processer support). So who knows..

DHC2Pilot
01-31-2007, 05:33 PM
I'll wait until after SP1 comes out and they get the bugs ironed out. I've had a corporate copy of Vista for a few weeks to play with and I'll be honest - I don't like it. Yeah, it runs fine, but it's a real pig on resources. The best way to describe it is "5 pounds of poop stuffed into a 3 pound bag". Maybe some serious registry tweaking to disable all the nonsense they've put into it will make it more user friendly. I mean come on, they've got 7 different options to shut the PC down. And you get asked repeately if you really want to do what you tell it to do. If I didn't really want to do it I wouldn't have asked it to in the first place.

DHC2Pilot
01-31-2007, 05:38 PM
And as stated before, another thing that really bugs me is that Microsoft decided to move just about everything somewhere else. We've all become accustomed to where certain functionality is, be it in the control panel, computer properties, etc. Now, it's like trying to learn to read Chinese. Not sure why they decided to reinvent the wheel. Gonna take some serious getting used to.

Heavy_Weather
01-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by DHC2Pilot:
And as stated before, another thing that really bugs me is that Microsoft decided to move just about everything somewhere else. We've all become accustomed to where certain functionality is, be it in the control panel, computer properties, etc. Now, it's like trying to learn to read Chinese. Not sure why they decided to reinvent the wheel. Gonna take some serious getting used to.

yep, thats what i have noticed, it appears that they have just placed the functions in different locations. Now one must learn all over again where the damn control panel is. but this is all good feedback though and it must be reported to them so they can fix it so keep em coming!