PDA

View Full Version : Wild Celebrations in Britain re D-Day...not really.

MB_Avro_UK
06-08-2006, 01:51 PM
hi all,

June 6th was the 62nd Anniversary of D-Day.

Not a single mention in the British Media. The sacrifices of American,British and Canadian troops are now forgotten it seems http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Media headlines related to a multi-millionaire footballer's FOOT injury....and the possibility that he may or not be available for the World Cup. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I would have been satisfied with a page seven newspaper single paragraph, but nothing at all seems rather sad.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

justflyin
06-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Maybe they are still recovering from the 60th Anniversary bash they threw in 2004?!?

LStarosta
06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
People were too busy performing exorcisms.

Texan...
06-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Sounds like when my girlfriend got upset that I didn't remember our 7 month anniversary.

Jasko76
06-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
Media headlines related to a multi-millionaire footballer's FOOT injury....and the possibility that he may or not be available for the World Cup. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I guess people are more concerned about recent history than with what happened 62 years ago. But still, I totaly agree with you.

leitmotiv
06-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Not like the huge London shebangs in 1994 and 1995---anyway, we Yanks have copyrighted D-Day now, and won't sell the license!

Von_Rat
06-08-2006, 05:26 PM
i didnt catch any mention of d day in us media either, maybe i just missed it, but ive always noticed it before when they mentioned it in the past.

leitmotiv
06-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Got submerged by the 666 flap.

squadldr76
06-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Here in the states, there was a program on the Military channel about it. But that was all I ever heard of it. Kinda sad, if you ask me. Too bad we can't rewind time and remove the Normandy Invasion so people nowadays could see the world we'd live in if that invasion had never taken place. *sigh*
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Jasko76
06-09-2006, 04:54 AM
One would have have expected to see it mentioned on the Discovery Channel, but not a word about it. They've become way too "pacified", they hardly have any warfare related shows anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

cmw1980
06-09-2006, 10:23 AM
It's a dirty rotten celebrity obsessed world we live in these days, such a shame.

WWSensei
06-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Jasko76:
One would have have expected to see it mentioned on the Discovery Channel, but not a word about it. They've become way too "pacified", they hardly have any warfare related shows anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Actually Jasko, just the opposite. Discovery spun off a channel dedicated to military matters. It's called "The Military Channel" (formerly Discovery Wings). It was back to back stuff about D-Day.

Ruy Horta
06-09-2006, 10:40 AM
The average D-Day documentary isn't very interesting to start with, certainly not the Discovery Channel stuff. Almost as informative as the anual showing of The Longest Day (for many decades THE standard movie to be shown on that day of days).

In 2004 there was perhaps such an overkill that many of the younger generation (and possibly a fair share of baby boomers) simply don't care for more.

The first Band of Brothers IMHO are great, perhaps even better than SPR for D-Day.

OTOH, we've been tought for all those years about the sacrifice of D-Day, but its been only very recent that western media started (whistpering more likely) about the Eastern Front.

Where are the remembrances for that?

Perhaps 60 years is enough?

Udidtoo
06-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Ruy Horta:
The average D-Day documentary isn't very interesting to start with, certainly not the Discovery Channel stuff. Almost as informative as the anual showing of The Longest Day (for many decades THE standard movie to be shown on that day of days).

In 2004 there was perhaps such an overkill that many of the younger generation (and possibly a fair share of baby boomers) simply don't care for more.

The first Band of Brothers IMHO are great, perhaps even better than SPR for D-Day.

OTOH, we've been tought for all those years about the sacrifice of D-Day, but its been only very recent that western media started (whistpering more likely) about the Eastern Front.

Not sure I follow your logic here . Have they covertly been celebrating western forces victories in the east all these years and if so do we owe them a back room huzza or 3?

jarink
06-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Strangely, one place I did see something mentioned about D-Day was on ESPN's NHL site. June 6th was an off-day for the Stanley Cup Finals, and while everyone else was/is buzzing about the Oil losing Dwayne Roloson for the rest of the series, one of their writers did something very different: He wrote about a couple of D-Day vets (one from Carolina, the other from Edmonton) and their June 6th experiences.
We have hockey to watch because of heroes' sacrifice (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2006/columns/story?columnist=frei_terry&id=2474479)

I'm suprised it made it past the editor since it has absolutely nothing to do with hockey, but it is an interesting read.

Von_Rat
06-09-2006, 01:02 PM

as far as i can tell its traditional for most countrys to honor their own vets for their sacrefices, not other countrys, even if they were allies.

does russia commenorate western soldiers that died in ww2. if so then the us should reciprocate.

Ruy Horta
06-10-2006, 01:46 AM
I am not talking about remembrance of the fallen, but the celebration of allied victories as in the topic line.

Wouldn't the start of the 1944 summer campaign in the East deserve as much praise an attention as the 1944 campaign in the West?

I am dutch, for all my early life and education I was tought about D-Day, but seldom about the war in the East.

The destruction of the German army in the East was as decisive for our liberation as the Invasion in the West - so I actually owe my gratitude to both sides, not just the one.

So it is an important issue to be addressed.

We still overindulge on D-Day, IMHO.

Jasko76
06-10-2006, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by WWSensei:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jasko76:

Actually Jasko, just the opposite. Discovery spun off a channel dedicated to military matters. It's called "The Military Channel" (formerly Discovery Wings). It was back to back stuff about D-Day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but I was talking about "ordinary" Discovery. I don't have The Military Channel, unfortunately.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
06-10-2006, 09:38 AM
There's a veteran's parade and restored vehicle drive-past and display in my home town tomorrow, just like every June. Long may it continue.

panther3485
06-10-2006, 11:34 AM
I think D-Day rightfully deserves to be remembered and commemorated, and to continue to get at least a brief mention in the media every year.

I think this should also apply to some other significant events from WW2.

Don't think we'll see much of it from now on, though (in the media, that is).

Best regards,
panther3485

jarink
06-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Wouldn't the start of the 1944 summer campaign in the East deserve as much praise an attention as the 1944 campaign in the West?

I think part of the reason D-Day gets so much attention is because it can be tied to a single day On June 5th, there was no Western Front and Germany was in near-total control of much of Europe. Suddenly, on June 6th, the liberation of western Europe became something tangible to the occupied peoples.

About the only single day in the east that comes close to providing that kind of change in the fortunes of war would be January 31, 1943 when Paulus surrendered the 6th Army at Stalingrad. I don't know, but I doubt it's celebrated in Russia with the same enthusiasm D-Day is in France.

x6BL_Brando
06-10-2006, 12:52 PM
I would guess that the World Cup being hosted in Germany right now may well have something to do with why the D-day anniversary is being played down in the Press.

Perhaps they have a point. There's no point in giving the right-wing element (of any country) an excuse to mar what is supposed to be a peaceful form of 'war' between nations. Sometimes it's just right to put down a custom for while, it doesn't mean it's forgotten.

My dad took the long road to Berlin via Sword beach, June 6 1944. I honour him for it, but there's a further twist. He was a fanatic footballer, player or spectator - and HE wouldn't have let ANYTHING get in the way of watching the World Cup!

Just a thought http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

B.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
06-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Well, Beckham did cancel the BoB memorial flight over his place during the pre-tournament party, for fear of offending the Germans...while no consideration for me was shown by the organisors of that Me 262 flying around Germany last week.

joeap
06-11-2006, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by jarink:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ruy Horta:

I think part of the reason D-Day gets so much attention is because it can be tied to a single day On June 5th, there was no Western Front and Germany was in near-total control of much of Europe. Suddenly, on June 6th, the liberation of western Europe became something tangible to the occupied peoples.

About the only single day in the east that comes close to providing that kind of change in the fortunes of war would be January 31, 1943 when Paulus surrendered the 6th Army at Stalingrad. I don't know, but I doubt it's celebrated in Russia with the same enthusiasm D-Day is in France. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course Stalingrad was the big turning point (or was it near Moscow in 1941, or Kursk 43? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ) but as far as "western front" why does everyone always forget Italy? We can argue about it's necessity and execution, but a lot of allied soldiers (not to mention very brave and tough Italian partisan fighters, bringing honour back to the Italian people) were fighting a slow grinding campaign.

danjama
06-11-2006, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Low_Flyer_MkVb:
Well, Beckham did cancel the BoB memorial flight over his place during the pre-tournament party, for fear of offending the Germans...while no consideration for me was shown by the organisors of that Me 262 flying around Germany last week.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif