PDA

View Full Version : ::: Exclusive Q&A with the devs ::: ---DELAY AND BETA update 2011-05-03

Alderbranchh
04-27-2011, 10:36 AM
As promised I id take up the questions concerning delays and beta but I also was promised to ask a few more questions which might intrigue most of you all. Especially all of you that wanted to see townscreens etc.

Ill have this topic locked since more information concerning the delay is being addressed and is something that they promised to give to us soon (and do note... no trademark this time) and it will be posted here.

Discuss the thread in this topic right here. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5861060878/m/9411052329)

Anyway. Here it goes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1. We have heard about these Community-VIP-fans and seen pictures on facebook and all that along with some of them talking about testing demos. What is their role?

Ubisoft and Black Hole had a common vision for the game, with new ideas and changes to existing features. We wanted Heroes VI to be an innovative entry in the series, but we had to make sure these changes would still stay true to what the fans love in Heroes. So we presented our ideas to the VIP fans to confront them with their expectations, saying “We want to do this in Heroes VI, what do you think of it?” Their reactions and comments are been immensely helpful to fine-tune the balance between innovation and faithfulness to the Heroes concept. One thing we really wanted was to have members from all over the world. American fans of Might & Magic have a different opinion on what a good Heroes game is, compared to Spanish fans, French fans or Chinese fans.

2. How are our (the fans) questions, ideas etc brought forth to the dev-team?

We read most of the community boards, and take note of interesting suggestions. It’s not as easy as it may sound, because not two fans think alike http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But at times, global threads are emerging, and we do our best to take them into account. Also the VIP fans themselves are quick to warn us when they think one subject is especially hot for their respective communities. The difficulty is, as in any project, to see what can be done with the budget we have.

3. Will there be townscreens?

There are town windows, and they work as follows:
- The town screen is actually a town window. It is designed to remain the same size whatever your screen resolution is, even if you use a 16:9 monitor.
- The town visuals will be animated and are what could be described as "2.5D".
- Each town has its own musical theme (as usual).
- The town visuals change when you build stuff (although in the current design, not all buildings appear).
- Building and recruiting is done through the window interface, rather than clicking on the buildings directly.

Here is a sneak peek of one of the town windows (the Inferno town) so you have a better idea of what it looks like:

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/forums/pictures/heroes6/H6_preview_town_screen.jpg

Now, we were talking about “emerging threads” earlier, and it’s clear it’s a hot topic for the communities, so there may be a few changes before release.

4. Are there any expansions planned?

For the moment we are busy with the “vanilla” game, but obviously we have a lot of ideas to improve and expand the game later.

5. Are more factions planned; if so what then are the chances we will see elves and academy back?

It’s too early to tell. Again, we’d really like to add more factions to the game. “How many” and “which ones” are still in discussion. Now if you look at Ashan’s timeline there’s a big upheaval coming right after the events of Heroes VI and clearly there’s an interesting story to tell here.
I’m a big fan of the Wizard/Tower/Academy faction myself, so I too hope that the spellslingers will be back in a future add-on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

6. We know the final faction is Sanctuary but there are really no hero-profiles or anything. Could we please have some to aquaint ourself with our newest addition to the M&M universe?

We’ll post more Hero portraits and bios in the coming weeks, but here is an exclusive look at one of our Sanctuary heroes.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/forums/pictures/heroes6/H6_Changbo2.jpg

Changbo - Once a vassal of Lord Okane, Changbo refused to swear allegiance to his new daimyo, Hiroshi. That day he became two men. Pirate and brigand to those within earshot of the daimyo's soldiers. Hero and defender to those same folk when speaking with hushed voices in private. A Ronin who puts his strict moral code above all other considerations, Changbo can easily give up wealth, power, or status in his quest to protect the weak from the whims of the strong.

Specialization: Blade Master - Increases the effectiveness of Heroic Strikes
(the Heroic Strikes being the "direct attacks" of the Hero)

7. We have seen old heroes stuff becoming available again, like Crag Hack’s helmet. What are the chances he wants it back and will be coming with a vengance?

Crag Hack is definitely around at the time of H6, and I’d really like to tell his story in the future. At the moment, that’s all I can say – we’ll see how it turns out.

8. What culture is each faction based around?

Haven is inspired by both Medieval Knights and the Roman Empire.
Necropolis is mainly inspired by Ancient Mesopotamia, and also Ancient Egypt (the Book of the Dead).
Inferno is obviously inspired by various depictions of hell, with a touch of H.P. Lovecraft on top.
Stronghold has influences from Aztec, Aboriginal and Maori cultures.
Sanctuary is mainly based on Japanese myths (the Kappa, Yuki-onna or Kirin come straight from Japanese folklore) with some Chinese and Taiwanese influences in the art style.

9. Will there be a random map generator? And simultaneous turns.

Unfortunately, not at release.
About the RMG, it would be a great thing to have in the future, but it’s also very complex to create such a tool, since the randomly generated maps need to be: mostly bug-free, reasonably balanced, and look nice. It’s easier said than done, especially with 3D graphics.
By the way I saw some people are still wondering if Hotseat is in the game (something I had actually answered on this very forum a while back http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) – the answer is YES, Hotseat is in. It wouldn’t be Heroes without Hotseat.

10. How does the AI-run compared to Heroes 5?

I’ll quote what I said on Celestial Heavens a couple of weeks ago: the AI turns are way faster this time around. Also, in H6, the AI will cheat much less and less obviously than in H5. It doesn't cheat at all in Easy difficulty, and not too much in Normal either. In Hard, the AI will lose less troops and will receive some extra resources. That's all. But honestly: the AI always cheats in strategy games - I have yet to see a game where the AI doesn't cheat.

11. Will there be GNU/Linux support?

As far as I know, it is not planned.

Alderbranchh
05-03-2011, 09:18 AM
H6 Delay Q&A

There has been a lot of discussion in the community about Heroes VI being delayed. We wanted to explain and clarify some of the things that happened and where do we go from here.

1. Why delay the game?

All our play-tests show the game has a huge potential, but needs extra-time to correct a few flaws.
So there had been discussions between the Heroes production team at Ubisoft and the development team at Black Hole and we all agreed we want H6 to be great and to be the “flagship” for all that’s to come in the Might & Magic brand.
We felt it was better to be transparent with you and announce the delay as soon as it was confirmed.

2. Will you use the extra time to add a sixth faction?

A new faction would mean new buildings, new abilities, new hero classes, new models for heroes and creatures, new animations, and of course, more debug, balance, polish... So it’s not something we can do in only three months.
However we clearly intend to expand the numbers of available factions in the future, since the factions, their diversity and their creatures are one of the compelling points of the Might & Magic series.

3. Wasn’t Beta supposed to begin on April the 20th? I read it on some forums.

The starting date for the Beta was never officially stated by anyone at Ubisoft or Black Hole.
What happened is a work-in-progress news item was created on the official site that mentioned a tentative date for the Beta, but it was not ready for publication since the date was not set in stone yet (it still isn’t).
Due to a bug, this unfinished article unfortunately appeared in the RSS feed of the site, leading some people to believe the date of the Beta had been officially announced.

4. So when is the Beta starting?

If you pre-ordered you’ll get access to the Public Beta, which will be the last stage of the Beta process (meaning the game will be stable enough to be playable and enjoyable).
There is no official, definitive date for the Public Beta as of yet.
However, you will soon receive a newsletter with practical information, and we’ll give you a starting date for the Beta as soon as possible.

5. When will we get more info about the gameplay?

The full information about the Reputation advanced classes and the corresponding abilities will be published in a few days on the official site. We’ll also start posting info about artefacts and heroes, such as portraits, bios and specializations – we know a lot of people are interested in knowing more about these. And we still have to show the Neutral creatures as well.

To conclude, the Heroes dev team wants to thank you for your patience and understanding. With your support, we’re sure to make an awesome sixth entry in the Heroes series http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Atlast it has arrived. The above is the Ubisoft public statement on the matter.