PDA

View Full Version : Flapps dropping automatically?

Friendly_flyer
07-13-2008, 02:03 AM
When I fly (on- of off-line), I am bothered by the flaps automatically dropping whenever I turn, slow down or sometimes when I just fly straight. It seems to happen to most planes, but is particularly bothersome in late war planes, as I'm constantly hitting "raise flaps" to stop them from jamming. Even when I start in QMB, the flaps are usually hanging down, and I have to start every mission with "raise flaps".

Does anyone else have this problem, and is there a cure?

ICDP
07-13-2008, 02:09 AM
It sounds like you have the flaps down command mapped to multiple buttons, or possibly even mapped to a rotary in the hotas section. Check to ensure only the commands you actually user are mapped to flaps.

ZBrisk
07-13-2008, 03:07 AM
I hear there's a plane that's supposed to do that. An American dive bomber or something.

Dolemite-
07-13-2008, 03:26 AM
You're not resting your arms on your keyboard are you? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Clear your lower flaps command and assign it to a new, single key

TinyTim
07-13-2008, 04:16 AM
Weird. Seems to me like controls issue. Maybe you have lowering flaps assigned (also to) one of the buttons you use at the beggining of the flight, like I for engine or R for raidators or even to throttle axis/slider (judging from them lowering when you slow down)...

Do flaps lower also when you spawn and before you touch anything? If yes, try moving throttle before you start engine and see what happens.

Friendly_flyer
07-13-2008, 04:22 AM
I've just checked, flaps down is mapped to just my V-key (default) and nothing else.

Tully__
07-13-2008, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Friendly_flyer:
I've just checked, flaps down is mapped to just my V-key (default) and nothing else.
Also check right at the bottom of the controls screen in the HOTAS CONTROL section. As someone above mentioned, you may have them mapped to a slider as well...

TinyTim
07-13-2008, 04:33 AM
If all else fails, replace settings.ini from \IL2-1946\Users\doe folder with vannila one. If you don't have it, I can e-mail it to you.

Edit: Well, maybe creating a new profile (basically a new pilot with different surname than doe) works as well.

Friendly_flyer
07-13-2008, 06:20 AM
I'll be damned! The flaps was mapped to the mouse wheel! Thanks gents!

joeap
07-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Actually two planes will do that. the Shinden drops combat flaps automatically during turns and the F4F will retract flaps if you're flying too fast.

mortoma
07-13-2008, 08:32 AM
I have a strange auto flap retraction on some planes as I slow down to taxi off the runway. As if my plane is party controlled by me and partly by AI/autopilot. It's very rare and no, I'm not talking about the flaps on the Wildcats.

The Wildcats have blown flaps which will auto-retract above 250Kph ( they literally blow shut by the force of air ). But they should not auto retract on the runway at slow speed. And it happens on different planes. No big deal I guess, as it doesn't happen very often, just strange. BTW, I think the JU-88 has blown flaps too.

mortoma
07-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by joeap:
Actually two planes will do that. the Shinden drops combat flaps automatically during turns and the F4F will retract flaps if you're flying too fast. JU-88 flaps also retract above 250Kph just like the Wildcats. It's called "blown flaps".

VW-IceFire
07-13-2008, 09:23 AM
I have flaps mapped to my HOTAS and on a slider...are you sure that you haven't mapped them like that and then left the switch down?

Check your control assignments in-game and if your stick has profiling software have a good look there too.

The only plane where flaps should deploy automatically in a turn is the N1K-2J which has an auto flap system for tighter turns...they deploy as you pull back and then close back up when you exit the turn or apply forward stick pressure.