PDA

View Full Version : The Artillery Thread

Ghoullio
09-12-2010, 09:34 AM
I have always loved artillery and this game has an abundance of realkstic artillery pieces.

For the Americans, the TOM is by far the best unit available. Expensive, yes, but you can create an almost impenetrable ring of death with just four to five pieces. They are far reaching and accurate when combined with recon units.

My strategy is to set up arty units first after my resource campaign is winding down. I use the rockets from the special units base to combat infantry and to stall armor while my TOMs zero in and kill whatevers left. After i feel safe in my little pocket, only then will i begin to build armor units and air units on a large scale.

What are your thoughts on artillery and how/which units do you use?

Chrstianwiik
09-12-2010, 09:55 AM
me too.. i always build up my defences and ensure my borders are safe before i build up for attack..

I like to use the German artillery cause if i remember right the artillery have a greater firing distance but i think the Russians artillery is by far the best artillery in the gamehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But other than that im a big fan of the German tiger tanks so i usally play as the Germanshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chrstianwiik
09-12-2010, 09:58 AM
oh i forgot to mention that i use the German Morser and i usally build up 7-8 units and have allot of anti aircraft guns laying around just incase of air attackhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ghoullio
09-12-2010, 10:05 AM
I love to pepper my arty units with those highly mobile anti air guys. I can make a pretty sturdy defensive ring with about 20 units, which is 20% of my over all army dedicated to keeping my bases off limits. When I need to raid or feint, I just send in a recon unit and the arty automatically begins firing on any observed enemy units.

Wartactics
09-12-2010, 11:22 AM
We all know you guys like artillary, but what is the best way to counter artillary?

Ghoullio
09-12-2010, 12:15 PM
More artillery...

Lol, no. Tank swarm or if you can, air units will make a mess of artillery. If you absolutely have no money, a few good armored recon units will travel faster than the artillery can zero in and at least incapacitate the artillery long enough for you to maneuver.

I used to bunch my arty all together, but I've learned to spread them out apart from one another.

GunnersMate07
09-12-2010, 12:22 PM
@wartactics

Best counter to arty is any armored unit. Arty really sucks against anything not squishy, towed, or a building. Tanks >>> arty

Starting off a 1v1 with arty units is just asking for trouble against any experienced player because you will most definitely be rushed and harrassed in the opening minutes, and you will not really have any targets yet for your arty.

Like most units in this game, arty is very situational. Obviously you use it if your opponent is turtling, or is massing towed AT/AA, but except in these scenarios you will be better served by more proper counters.

Ghoullio
09-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by GunnersMate07:
@wartactics

Best counter to arty is any armored unit. Arty really sucks against anything not squishy, towed, or a building. Tanks >>> arty

As far as killing them, yes. But they sure as crap will slow them down to give you time to move your anti-tank units into position. I'm a HUGE fan of those little towed anti-tank pieces that cost $10 each. They get into position quickly and have excellent range. With the arty raining down on them, most armor units slow down or stop all together.

the only cure for arty is air or a fast moving recon unit that causes the artillery units to back off.

GunnersMate07
09-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Ghoullio:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GunnersMate07:
@wartactics

As far as killing them, yes. But they sure as crap will slow them down to give you time to move your anti-tank units into position. I'm a HUGE fan of those little towed anti-tank pieces that cost $10 each. They get into position quickly and have excellent range. With the arty raining down on them, most armor units slow down or stop all together.

the only cure for arty is air or a fast moving recon unit that causes the artillery units to back off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are now talking about some combined arms, Arty + AT guns. In which case you will be attacked by more than tanks.

And really AT guns are one of the worst units for value in this game, especially towed AT guns. Mainly because of their mobility (or lack thereof). And they do not even make a dent really against upgraded medium/heavy.

The key to this game is mobility and being able to constantly harrass your opponent well while also keeping your own flanks unharrassed. Arty+at guns are not a recipe for holding map control which in the end is all that matters against an experienced opponent.

Ghoullio
09-12-2010, 01:12 PM
I agree with you for the most part that static defenses aren't optimal for this game. But towed anti-tank pieces are excellent, especially for Americans. They can hide in the woods, they move pretty quick for towed units, have excellent range, and while they don't have a TON of damage, they will do the trick and knock out the first two units of an advance while the arty comes in and kills the rest. They are cheap and for the price of ONE Sherman you can have FOUR anti tank guns that can hide in the woods or cities. EXCELLENT EXCELLENT ambushing tool.

The ONLY unit i have NO use for yet love beyond all else is the flame throwing tank. its a bad *** piece but rendered useless by the armored tactics of this game.

GunnersMate07
09-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I have played about 20 games so far in ranked 1v1 (and all 20 have been total victories). I have never once produced a towed at gun. I have had plenty of people produce them against me though. And invariably, it might halt my attack (probably wont if I am using upgraded heavy tanks). But regardless, it means the other player is stuck around their base. And understand when i say it might halt my attack, it doesnt mean i lose units to your AT guns because obviously recon will show me the at positions before my tanks get in range. The difference though is my units were mobile and my perimeter is much farther ahead and closer to your base then your forces are to mine. Therefore I have map control.

Towed at guns will without a doubt limit how much map you can take. I have been playing quite a few of the top leaderboard players lately and any that go with towed at guns will get locked in and only have 1-2 depots left (while i have expanded and can freely build on every depot behind the front lines). And there's really no danger to me whatsoever because towed at are strictly defensive, they really have no capability to move up in an assault. Thats the main drawback of relying on any form of towed unit. They just do not have the mobility to pose any sort of threat to the other player's vulnerable areas. And if its a stalemate with both sides having combined arms and neither can break through the other, the player with map control will win everytime.

Ghoullio
09-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, you sold me. From now on i will build nothing but tanks. Tanks tanks tanks.

Yay.

MaDeToFaDe
09-12-2010, 05:56 PM
I pump out some willie jeeps first to see what's going on, then build what i need to counter what my opponent has. Only build artillery if i need it really.