PDA

View Full Version : About engine control

Flanker1985
06-13-2007, 07:18 PM
The engine control is complex.
Can any one teach me about these Mix, suppercharge and other things.
Thanks.

Crash_Moses
06-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Welcome to the club! I can point ya in the right direction...

This is a good start:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=249

and here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=1611050482

S!

Flanker1985
06-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks, my english is not very good.
Can you tell me in a easier way?

Flanker1985
06-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Those 2 web sites you have show mw is too complex to read for me.

major_setback
06-15-2007, 02:18 PM
For the most part you won't have to make too many changes to the way yo fly if choosing CEM rather than the non-comlex method.
Keep the radiator open as much as you can until you are caught up in combat, otherwise you can get away without using the prop ptch control or mixture control.
If you want to fine tune these for different altitudes I think you might get some help from others here.

Flanker1985
06-17-2007, 09:07 PM
But if I don't choose CEM it will not be reality, right?
So can you please teach me, thank you.
E.g: What is mix, and when do I have to change it.

na85
06-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Mix is the ratio of fuel to air in the aircraft's engine. The default setting is 100%

To make it simple: If you're climbing up high and your engine starts to bog down and brown smoke starts coming out of the exhaust and your plane doesn't climb any more, then decrease the mixture.

Some planes do this automatically for you (most of the german ones).

Crash_Moses
06-17-2007, 10:06 PM
And for planes with turbochargers the readme files contain the heights at which you should switch stages. For most planes I think it's somewhere between 8,000ft and 10,000ft.

Another good rule of thumb is to keep a one to one ratio of throttle vs. prop pitch. If your prop pitch is 80% then set your throttle to 80%. This isn't entirely accurate but it's close enough. Prop pitch helps regulate your engine RPM. The higher the prop pitch the higher your RPMs and the hotter your engine gets (and the more fuel it uses).

A good reason to adjust prop pitch is to keep your engine cool and save fuel. I usually set it as low as possible while still being able to maintain formation on the way to target.

It will also help your engine last longer by reducing RPMs if it gets damaged.

You really shouldn't have to change your mixture much unless you're flying really high. The lowest I ever set it is about 80%. 100% is probably fine. 120% should only be used close to the ground but I've never actually found it necessary in game (IRL, I think, 120% was used for a little extra power at low altitudes and to help cool the engine).

Hope that helps. S!

Flanker1985
06-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Thank you a lot.
But can you tell me what does RPM mean, please?
And what is prop-pitch, how does it works and what does it do?

And what does IRL mean? You said: (IRL, I think, 120% was used for a little extra power at low altitudes and to help cool the engine).

The-Pizza-Man
06-18-2007, 01:35 AM
RPM = Revolutions Per Minute, it is the number of times the motor's crank shaft rotates in a minute.

It's the same as in your car.
It's the big gauge that is not the speed gauge.

Prop Pitch, is Propeller Pitch. It is the angle the blades of the propeller are at.

IRL is an internet acronym for In Real Life

Korolov1986
06-18-2007, 02:04 AM
Clearing up a few things:

Throttle is displayed by your manifold pressure. The higher the pressure, the more power your engine is producing.

RPMs - in most aircraft, are *not* related to the engine, but rather represents the speed the propeller is going. Adjusting prop pitch for lower RPMs changes the angle of the blades, which can produce more efficient fuel usage. Also, lowering prop pitch in a dive will help you accelerate faster due to less resistance from the blades. Most planes in the game use this mechanism, where you set the RPM and the prop control attempts to maintain this RPM throughout your flight envelope.

Crash_Moses has already thoroughly explained supercharger stages and mixture control, so I won't go there.

M_Gunz
06-18-2007, 03:14 AM
Flanker, if you concentrate on one plane at a time then after a couple the others become easy
to know when engine needs to be adjusted.

You drive stick shift? Or better yet, motorcycle?
You know then how to tell when to change throttle and gear without always looking.

Same for planes. Mix is fuel to air coming in, as air gets thin you want less fuel to match.
Take P-40B and fly up and up, you will see engine running rough and rougher, reduce mix and
see how engine changes then when you fly another plane and you have same thing happen, you
know what to try and you know what height (below where you noticed problem) that plane should
change. Once you know how, you can find the wheres.

Hardest part is some planes are automatic and others manual and others can go either way,
just like what planes can trim what controls. So best thing is learn only one plane at a time.

Besides, I am sure people here will applaud your efforts and give advice but be careful ---

You start asking about Spitfire, La, 109, FW, P-51, P-47, maybe others then wear flame-proof
suit as the fighting will be not long and you might get hit in the cross-flames! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Take Care and Fly Whatever You Like!