PDA

View Full Version : Win2000 no longer supported?

Baltimorebob
10-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I guess it was inevitable, but it's sad to see that Chessmaster 11 doesn't support Windows 2000. I was planning a major computer upgrade early next year. I imagine it'll come sooner now.

Arkansaw
10-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Your Windows life will be a lot smoother wuith an XP upgrade..

gdalpha7
10-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, maybe it will still run under 2000 - CMX did; well, at least with my old computer.

But like Arkansaw said, you're a lot better with XP. And, if you're planning to upgrade, don't wait too long because although the lifespan of XP has just been prolonged (before MS stop selling it) soon there won't be any more for sale. That would be bad because Vista is just horrible and most likely Chessmaster would have a lot of bugs under a new OS.

sherekhan
11-14-2007, 11:18 AM
As ebutaljib pointed out, no version of CM have supported Win2K. Ever.

I know first hand from trying out CM 7000 around that time. It did not work, period. I tried 8000 instead, which mostly worked with a few minor glitches. After service pack 2 or 3 or some other patches from MS the situation improved further, and CM 8000 worked almost flawlessly. But it was never officially supported.

What version of CM are you running now? With 8000 working fine for me, I can imagine 9000 working just fine as well. I do not know about 10 and 11, not having tested them on 2000 myself. As for Vista, my experience so far is that CM11 has issues with Vista, even if it is officially supported.

ttraveler
12-23-2007, 03:53 PM
So far every game that says "XP only" (including BioShock) can be played in win2000. It might require a few XP files copied from the XP OS to be transferred to a win2000 installation, but the games run.

So, for CM11, which files from XP are needed, which tweaks are needed, and/or what should I edit in CM11 with my favorite hexedit utility?

Has someone reverse engineered this yet like they have done with every other game?

Thank you for any link to any how to.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

KHollister
12-24-2007, 11:20 AM
What? The specifications for a game say "XP/Vista Only", and you insist on trying to make it run in Windows 2000, via copied files, registry edits, etc.?

If a game is that important to you, I would think that you would go ahead and spring for a copy of Windows XP as well, rather than try to jury-rig a solution that could cause even more problems...

ttraveler
12-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I am willing to pay for a copy of CM11 that works in win2000. But the manufacturer won't make it, so I have to make my own.

KHollister, You sound like the spokesman for a Population Suppression movement. Or possibly you own stock in Microsoft and are promoting the sales of its products. If I owned Microsoft stock I'd promote their products too.

I simply have the point of view, and have many times seen proof, that one or more of the following usually exists: 1) A company hires programmers who are too lazy or can't program for a prior OS, 2) A company hires executives who are too lazy to see that there are additional sales to be made, and/or 3) A company has become a patsy to Microsoft.

The creation or acquisition of copied files, registry edits, etc. to make, so far, every XP game work in win2000 absolutely proves my point. I have not yet discovered any XP game that won't run in win2000, nor have I yet discovered anything whatsoever that (as you say) "could cause even more problems ..."

What? The specifications for a game say "XP/Vista Only", and you insist on trying to make it run in Windows 2000, via copied files, registry edits, etc.?

Yes. Absolutely yes. As has been done with many games before this one. It's called ingenuity. The world needs more of it. Some people call it creativity. If the game maker can't or won't do it, then thank goodness the aftermarket world and others will make the improvements or complete the game where they left off. (Silent Hunter by UbiSoft is a good example of this)

If a game is that important to you, I would think that you would go ahead and spring for a copy of Windows XP as well, rather than try to jury-rig a solution that could cause even more problems...

BTW I do own Retail Boxed versions of XP.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

KHollister
12-24-2007, 07:21 PM
I wish I owned Microsoft stock. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Listen, I'm all for ingenuity... I've done the same thing with other games. Yes, I was able to get them working, but never as smoothly as if I had followed the system specifications to begin with.

Lazy programmers? You don't write software for a living, do you? Most programmers are anything but lazy (there are of course, exceptions). So I don't think lack of support for Win2000 is due to that.

Microsoft doesn't actively support Win2000 anymore (the last service pack was released in June 2003). Given that, I wouldn't say that Ubisoft is being a Microsoft patsy.

But even if Ubisoft were an MS patsy, so what? Would you rather them be a Macintosh patsy? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My guess: the decision not to support an Win2000 was an executive one. This is a game, and the majority of home computers in the world run Win98/XP/Vista. Frankly, I would think that taking time to test and fix issues for Win2000 would cost a lot more than Ubisoft would have gained in sales by Win2000 users.

CJ_Pinguin
12-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Apparently CMXI does not work with Win2k.
Installation is no problem, but right after starting the game it stops with the error message: entry IsWow64Process not found in KERNEL32.DLL
I canĀ“t find an easy way around this.
Well, at least I have another computer with XP on it.