PDA

View Full Version : 4.01m F-4U1A carrier take off.

McThag
06-21-2005, 05:13 PM
My, what a white knuckle experience!

I needed a lot of right rudder to stay straight on the deck and then full left rudder and a good amount of stick to keep it from flipping on her back once I was airborne. Only 80mph over the bow!

VT-51_Razor
06-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Take a look at some of the WWII combat footage of most of the carrier takeoffs, and you will see almost every plane rolling off the deck with a whole bunch of right rudder applied! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif It may not be 100% realistic, but it's a lot closer than it was, and legions beyond anything else you're going to find on a desk top computer.

Nimits
06-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Well, even flying a modern turboprop like the T-6A with its computer assisted rudder controls, torque (actually, alot of different things are going on here besides just basic engine torque, but I'll call it that for simplicity's sake) is still noticable on take off and go arounds, especially if the power is applied to quickly and/or at too low an airspeed (and much more noticable when the computer is switched off). I imagine that in an aircraft like the F4U, with a more powerful (and more torque-producing) radial engine, and without computer-assisted flight controls to conteract the various engine effects, I imagine torque could be quite a handful on takeoff and landing. In Baa Baa Blacksheep, there is on account where applying full power on a go around literally flipped an F4U Corsair on its back and caused it to crash.

If anything, the current torque is still too limited . . .

VBF-83_Hawk
06-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Nimitz, you fly outta Moody?

Nimits
06-21-2005, 10:24 PM
I used to fly out of Laughlin . . .