PDA

View Full Version : Stuvi Bombsight on the Ju-87 D5

SS_Bubblehead
12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Wanting to avoid a repeat topic I searched extensively for this one to no avail. I searched google and exhausted my own albeit limited library of german aircraft books.

Would anyone volunteer the why-fors and how tos of this bombsight. I understand you must set true air speed and altitude but this confuses me. This sight is not for level bombing, so why set those parameters when these variables are very dynamic in a steep dive? Additionally, is there an easy way to estimate true air speed other than switching views?

This sight has a moving pipper, so I must pickle when the pipper hits the crosshairs?

Enlighten me please?

VW-IceFire
12-06-2004, 08:52 AM
I think you set the ideal dive speed when the plane is to line up on target...but I'm not sure. Good question!

Willey
12-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Set up the altitude you want to drop at. Usually it's something like 500 or 1000m. Then set speed at an estimated value that you will have reached then in the dive. 500-600 should be OK. Then dive ~45?, aim with the moving pipper and fine tune the speed setting in the last 500-1000m before you drop. It would be ideal to have those settings on an axis, but we have to mess with the keyboard instead http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Platypus_1.JaVA
12-06-2004, 10:20 AM
It does kinda do the same thing like the CCIP ppipper on modern jets. You just have to manually set the altitude and speeds. I do not fly the Stuka alot but, a while ago I did test the sight a bit and it seems when I entered an altitude of 300m and about 620km/h, it is pretty much spot-on. Of course you should release your load immediatly when the horn sounds. I should advice a (near) vertical dive. But, you can expiriment a little yourself of course for the fine tuning.

Maybe the best values for alt and speed are somewhere in a small PDF file on the game CD.

SS_Bubblehead
12-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Appreciate the info. I guess some trial and error and experimentation are in order.

Curiously, is the pipper like a velocity vector indication? If thats the case then a bomb on the same vector would land where ever the pipper pointed. So line up your target on the cross hairs and pipper, dive without loading the stick and you should hit?

Thanks