PDA

View Full Version : Serious question about 4.00m typeClouds=1 Fps rate drop...

jamesdietz
06-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Are new clouds really fps hogs as stated in 4.00 bugs thread elsewhere..I mean they are nice but not worth a further drop in fps when i just manage to putter along now...has anyone really figured out if this is true?

Tooz_69GIAP
06-11-2005, 06:55 AM
It's true. I have a pretty low end system, and with these clouds it's barely flyable. I turned em off by adding the the line TypeClouds=0 in the conf.ini, and the problem was solved. I can now fly 4.0 without trouble.

People may say that I'm "cheating" but I don't care. I can fly in 4.0, and that's all I care about for the moment.

VW-IceFire
06-11-2005, 07:03 AM
On my average/a bit above average system...I experience almost no FPS drop because of the clouds or anything. And their appearance is so great that I'm not about to turn them off.

JG54_Arnie
06-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Why would that be cheating? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Its actually needed, I cant really fly well with the new clouds either. Especially with anything over hazy weather.

Atzebrueck
06-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
On my average/a bit above average system...I experience almost no FPS drop because of the clouds or anything. And their appearance is so great that I'm not about to turn them off.

Agreed, with my rather old system I barely have any FPS drop. Not even while flying in bad waether.

SeaFireLIV
06-11-2005, 07:25 AM
I notice a minor fps drop with the really heavy clouds, but certainly not unplayable. What I seemed to noticed was real stutter every time an AI plane hit the ground.

I`ve decided to do a complete fresh installation. Maybe that`ll help everything.

Grue_
06-11-2005, 07:50 AM
My initial shock at the fps drop was reduced somewhat by the realisation that installing 4.0m had changed me to perfect mode.

I have an Athlon 3.2 & 9800 Pro and in excellent mode 1024x768x32 with 2x AA 2x AF I drop occasionally to around 20fps with a furball in a thunderstorm (cat 5.6). Avg fps is around 30.

MaxBruder
06-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Make sure you put tham in the [game] portion of conf.ini. I did not at first and noticed a big drop in fps. With them in the proper place it is now flyable.

carguy_
06-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Special thanks to 1C for letting us keep old clouds.A very good move to keep the most happy.

Fritz_75
06-20-2005, 05:06 AM
Hi all

Just a little question. How do you messaure your framerate in the game?

Regards Henrik http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Fehler
06-20-2005, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Fritz_75:
Hi all

Just a little question. How do you messaure your framerate in the game?

Regards Henrik http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

In multiplay, the easiest thing to do is open the chat window and type >fps START SHOW.

In single play, you have to open that scolling text stuff on the side of the screen. Since all of my keys are remapped for my X-45, I cant remember what the default key is but the command is the same without the > so it would be fps START SHOW.

You will see the information at the top of the screen in red letters and numbers.

Hope this helps.

Willey
06-20-2005, 06:18 AM
That was Shift+Tab.

BTW those excessive frame drops might result from 128MB or less graphics RAM. Everybody who I know of having bad fps with those clouds just have 128MB or even 64MB cards. People with similar systems, but 256MB cards like the 9800Pro don't seem to have such big fps hits. I've got a 9800/128MB and bad frames, too.

NonWonderDog
06-20-2005, 06:20 AM
SHIFT+TAB opens the console. Just type "fps START SHOW" there. Type "fps STOP HIDE" to stop it. Capitalization matters.

Tallyho1961
06-20-2005, 06:28 AM
I noticed that my system bogs down a bit more under certain circumstances with the new clouds. I Dialed my water down to =0 from =1, which I know from previous testing was worth about 3-4 fps, and now things are satisfactory. I suspect those 3-4 fps pretty much represent the hit I took with the enhanced clouds.

HeinzBar
06-20-2005, 07:44 AM
S!,
The new clouds can be a real bear if your system isn't up to the task. They are nice when set to hazy...very good looking. But, are they worth the price in performance? I guess it depends on your personal tastes. Look at this way, as our hardware gets better, the new clouds will add alot to the immersion.

Something else that might need to be said, the old standard of 1gb of ram may be past. I'd suggest that the new standard be increased to at least 1.5gb for smooth simming. With 4.01m, I've seen a slight decrease in performance. I honestly think it's the extra eye candy. I currently run PF at 1280x960x32 w/ 2xfsaa & 2xaa on excellent settings w/ everything else maxxed. I've been spoiled by these settings for so long that changing them is out of the question http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Anyhow, there is a noticeable slow down on my system on the new Murmansk map. I attribute it to my 1gb of pc3200. I've spoken to others and they seem to concur that ram is the issue for most people encountering problems..especially for online simming.

Just my thoughts.

HB

Fritz_75
06-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Thank you all for the quick responds...

Regards Henrik

darkhorizon11
06-20-2005, 10:15 AM
I also have a low end system and I was really worried prior to the new patch. Oleg said the new FMs would require more RAM so I was afraid the new patch would kill the game on my comp. Truthfully I didn't notice any FPS drop at all, until I turned on the new clouds, then it runs pretty slow. So basically I got everything but clouds out of this patch which isn't so bad.

Marc-David
06-20-2005, 01:14 PM
As I have a pretty low end GFX Card (Ati 9000Mobilitiy)since 4.01m I use: Full Excellent with Clouds=1, but I went back 16Bit Colour. And its very playable, with fast frames Avg 30+. The gained smoothness makes the loss of eyecandy acceptable. (Notebook, P4 2,4 Ghz, 1024 Ram, slow 5400 rpm HDD).

Yours, MD

Willey
07-06-2005, 09:51 AM
bump http://www.ubisoft.de/smileys/3.gif

VW-IceFire
07-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Here's what I've got.

AMD 2700+
A7N8 Deluxe with Soundstorm ACM
1GB of PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9700Pro 128mb AGP8X, Fast Write Off, Catalyst 5.6 (my initial comments were made while running 5.1 - no issue either way)
Pacific Fighters Merged 4.01
1024x768x32bit
Perfect Mode (Water=0)
S3TC Enabled
Trilinear Filtering
2xAA/2xPerformance AF (ATI Control Panel)
Windows XP Home SP2

I tested my FPS ratings on the Kamikazi track. Overall FPS loss is 5fps from 3.04 to 4.01. That loss no doubt includes the clouds and AI and that sort of thing but its a marginal loss. Running online I'm getting about the same average FPS as I used to.

I have a good system, but its two years old and many of you have similar systems (maybe even better) with apparently huge FPS drops. I've only got 128mb of RAM on the card...so I don't think thats the issue. But its perplexing.

Blackjack174
07-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I tested my FPS ratings on the Kamikazi track. Overall FPS loss is 5fps from 3.04 to 4.01. That loss no doubt includes the clouds and AI and that sort of thing but its a marginal loss.
I may point out that tracks which where recorded with old clouds dont display the new clouds !
So you actually have a performance drop with identical gfx settings!
Benchmarking the performance loss is tricky because of the fact mentioned above, but generally on my sys (2400XP , 9800pro128mb, 1gb)
the new clouds push framerates way down WHEN I ZOOM THE VIEW ON THEM , or WHEN I FLY TROUGH them to a very crappy minimum, I suspect there is a sprite overkill in every cloud (like the dirt at takeoff , almost same story), as much as i like the looks , at times its pushing my hardware in the slideshow regime , unless i stay clear of the clouds , or weather is really good of course http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif