PDA

View Full Version : What do you pros think?

HammyGray
07-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey everyone, my bro got me obsessed and I'm pretty new to flight sims altogether. I heard there was alrdy a thread on this but it seemed outdated. But anywho, I had a conversation with some aircraft enthusiasts and am just wondering if this stuff checks out in this game:

Q: F4U-4 completely outperforms the Ki-84 in practically every way, though it often seems the other way around for the F4U-1A/D and Ki-84, all of which entered service in the same year if i'm not mistaken.

In that scenario, it seems that the F4U-1A can only outdive and sometimes, outzoom the Frank given the same speed. In fact, the frank's powerloading helps it to hang w/ the Corsair sometimes. I feel, unfortunately, that really good Frank pilots have the ability to eat my A-Hog alive, though it's very rare to see a good Frank pilot. Making a Frank overshoot usually isnt a problem, but some of them are smarter than that. I really don't think there's much an F4U-1A pilot can do against a good Ki-84 pilot.

A: Executed properly the F4U can maintain the spiral almost indefinitely. Even some of the better straight climbers would be hard-pressed to keep up because of the Hog's ability to hang on to energy (I've done it against Franks, 38s, Spitfire IXs and La-7s, generally with success). Just hold the spiral until your opponent gives up and as he levels out to break off or hangs himself out to dry kick inside rudder to flop over on him for a shot.

It's particularly effective against Zeros. They will NOT be able to follow you.

Use your rudder, especially coming over the top of high yo-yos. Can't stress enough the Hog has one of the most effective rudders of any fighter, especially in vertical maneuvers. Kicking hard rudder and dropping a notch of flaps to help swing the nose over and give your playmate a nasty surprise.

Re: The corsair was the absolute king of the spiral climb in the PTO. The problem in executing it is that it takes time to complete. Most people are too busy watching the target and not their gauges.

Re: The F4U's are also one of the few planes that can drop gear in fast flight without as huge a risk of damage as other aircraft. For this reason, the Corsair could pretty much make anything overshoot, even a Frank.

HammyGray
07-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey everyone, my bro got me obsessed and I'm pretty new to flight sims altogether. I heard there was alrdy a thread on this but it seemed outdated. But anywho, I had a conversation with some aircraft enthusiasts and am just wondering if this stuff checks out in this game:

Q: F4U-4 completely outperforms the Ki-84 in practically every way, though it often seems the other way around for the F4U-1A/D and Ki-84, all of which entered service in the same year if i'm not mistaken.

In that scenario, it seems that the F4U-1A can only outdive and sometimes, outzoom the Frank given the same speed. In fact, the frank's powerloading helps it to hang w/ the Corsair sometimes. I feel, unfortunately, that really good Frank pilots have the ability to eat my A-Hog alive, though it's very rare to see a good Frank pilot. Making a Frank overshoot usually isnt a problem, but some of them are smarter than that. I really don't think there's much an F4U-1A pilot can do against a good Ki-84 pilot.

A: Executed properly the F4U can maintain the spiral almost indefinitely. Even some of the better straight climbers would be hard-pressed to keep up because of the Hog's ability to hang on to energy (I've done it against Franks, 38s, Spitfire IXs and La-7s, generally with success). Just hold the spiral until your opponent gives up and as he levels out to break off or hangs himself out to dry kick inside rudder to flop over on him for a shot.

It's particularly effective against Zeros. They will NOT be able to follow you.

Use your rudder, especially coming over the top of high yo-yos. Can't stress enough the Hog has one of the most effective rudders of any fighter, especially in vertical maneuvers. Kicking hard rudder and dropping a notch of flaps to help swing the nose over and give your playmate a nasty surprise.

Re: The corsair was the absolute king of the spiral climb in the PTO. The problem in executing it is that it takes time to complete. Most people are too busy watching the target and not their gauges.

Re: The F4U's are also one of the few planes that can drop gear in fast flight without as huge a risk of damage as other aircraft. For this reason, the Corsair could pretty much make anything overshoot, even a Frank.