PDA

View Full Version : Another reason why I enjoy servers with full icons



WUAF_Toad
04-29-2005, 10:22 PM
I was flying in spits vs 109s server and the JG27s kept whining how I don't fly with any markings after I shot some of them down. Maybe it's just me but I thought the point of having markings were to avoid friendly fire and not so that the enemy can recognize you better http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif. I didn't have any problem with friendly fire in furball neither... go figure.

Badsight.
04-29-2005, 10:50 PM
yes they surely help avoid freindly fire , but they also help when you closing on a dot that may or may not be a bandit

they are viewable from out to 1K i think

Hunde_3.JG51
04-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Flying without markings on purpose is a bit classless and shows poor sportsmanship. Just my opinion. Its also stated in the rules of the server http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Spit_asuarus
04-30-2005, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Hunde_3.JG51:
Flying without markings on purpose is a bit classless and shows poor sportsmanship. Just my opinion. Its also stated in the rules of the server http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Hmnn

FatBoyHK
04-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by WUAF_Toad:
.....kept whining how I don't fly with any markings after I shot some of them down....

you really need to wear accurate marking... Sometimes it is the only way to idenify different planes, especially on a no-icon server

I consider it a form of cheating if people don't wear accurate marking intentionally. But most of the time it is just a careless mistake. When I am on the tarmic and see someone with incorrect / without marking, I will try to tell him immediaetely.

CAPT_COTTON
04-30-2005, 08:52 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
In some of the servers the host has the icons set up so you dont see icons on the nonfriendly planes and for some reason when you come in there arnt any on the friendly till you click thur them and then theres no color on any till you are on top of him.Then to make things worse the dot on the planes disappere on the enemty planes after the icon turns off?????i run my movies after leaving game and sho nuff they dissapere.I guess i could get used to that setup but i would rather go to a real room and no icons and we are on the same playing field.

I just got in habit of turning on all marking for that plane and game each and every time.

It relly upsets me to shoot my buddie even in a game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Spit_asuarus
04-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by CAPT_COTTON:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
In some of the servers the host has the icons set up so you dont see icons on the nonfriendly planes and for some reason when you come in there arnt any on the friendly till you click thur them and then theres no color on any till you are on top of him.Then to make things worse the dot on the planes disappere on the enemty planes after the icon turns off?????i run my movies after leaving game and sho nuff they dissapere.I guess i could get used to that setup but i would rather go to a real room and no icons and we are on the same playing field.

I just got in habit of turning on all marking for that plane and game each and every time.

It relly upsets me to shoot my buddie even in a game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Here is another that refuses to tell the truth and tell another lie about the spits vs 109s server. FatboyHK also admits that the server is a no icon server. Where did Cotton get this myth about color on the Icons. There are no Icons on the Spits vs 109s server. Its the same settings for both sides.

9th_Spitin
04-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Well here is proof that this is not a perfect world, if it were a perfect world, there would be someone saying that it is not perfect therefore making it imperfect. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Lixma
04-30-2005, 11:22 AM
This 'no markings' whining is a crutch.

Yes, the server states markings should be worn - OK. But to whine about getting shot down on the basis that the enemy a/c wasn't wearing insignia is lame.

If you're close enough to see the planes markings then you're more than close enough to I.D. the plane itself. If you've failed to tell the difference between a Spitfire and a 109 when a plane shot past you then it's up to YOU to assume the worst and re-aquire the bogey visually.

If your foolish enough to think "ah, well it's probably friendly" and carry on regardless then you're going to die.

Mis-identification happened in RL. It happens in the game too. Blaming the enemy for your mistake is weak.

Marine7011
04-30-2005, 11:24 AM
just for general information there was no whining after he got a couple of us in that furball...it was just pointed out to him that the server rules state that icons need to be worn and the he wasnt wearing them..doesnt seem so hard to put them on when the rules clearly state that they are to be worn...ive seen knight kick guys all the time because they arent wearing them.

Semper Fi

WUAF_Toad
04-30-2005, 11:30 AM
I always fly with default skin and no marking under numer 8. I usually jump on a server and go look for a fight without reading the boring briefing stuff. I just didn't like how they started accusing me of doing it intentionally for advantage right off the bat. Geez... I was flying a spit, how much more advantage do I need? I think if you gonna fly "full real", you should go with the most reliable way of IDing a plane and that's by its shape. Skins and markings can vary but not the shape of an airplane. Who the heck can not identify a spit with two huge cannons sticking out of its wings.

I fly on all the servers and I can conclude that the "FR" crowd is the whiniest of them all. I've been accused of cheating with speed hack for a long time by Pipper and he probably has spreaded the words by now. That's why I prefer the "arcade" servers nowdays.

VMF-214_HaVoK
04-30-2005, 11:36 AM
No matter what you arguement is and how you justify it. The fact of the matter is that if a server states markings on as a rule then you should obey and respect that rule. It should also be know that WoP admins will ban individuals who deliberatly fly with no markings...Im quite certain. You post offers up a statement of guilt. Maybe you should reword it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Marine7011
04-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by WUAF_Toad:
I always fly with default skin and no marking under numer 8. I usually jump on a server and go look for a fight without reading the boring briefing stuff. I just didn't like how they started accusing me of doing it intentionally for advantage right off the bat. Geez... I was flying a spit, how much more advantage do I need? I think if you gonna fly "full real", you should go with the most reliable way of IDing a plane and that's by its shape. Skins and markings can vary but not the shape of an airplane. Who the heck can not identify a spit with two huge cannons sticking out of its wings.

I fly on all the servers and I can conclude that the "FR" crowd is the whiniest of them all. I've been accused of cheating with speed hack for a long time by Pipper and he probably has spreaded the words by now. That's why I prefer the "arcade" servers nowdays.

well just turn your markings on then..http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif...no harm no foul buddy..didnt notice you cheating at all as you got me a couple of times...i got to return the favor once...

Semper Fi

FatBoyHK
04-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Lixma:
Yes, the server states markings should be worn - OK. But to whine about getting shot down on the basis that the enemy a/c wasn't wearing insignia is lame.

I don't agree. Wearing no marking give you an unfair advantage. This advantage may not be enough for an immediately shooting opporunity, but it is more than enough to create confusion, and confusion is deadly in a open fight, with plane coming from all directions.

And if you want to play it safe by assuming every plane without icon is a bandit, it will inevitably put a damper on your offensive capability.

Yes I know you can id some planes without relying on its marking. But there are some planes that are indeed similar, such as a 109 and a CW Spit. And not all people have a good rig and we do. So, wearing a correct marking is really a hard requirement, especially on an no-icon server.

Badsight.
04-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Lixma:
If you're close enough to see the planes markings then you're more than close enough to I.D. the plane itself. not true

markings show at the same time as plane shape but are eaiser to make out at that distance

markings are the furtherest visible identification tool in FB sans icons

T_O_A_D
04-30-2005, 02:58 PM
The only reason not to wear markings is if your in a custom skin server,and your skin has markings on it already. If your in a default server then yes you should wear country markings.

I agree in a Historical server Markings are not fully needed if you know your aircraft types and profiles. But if its stated in the server rules you must follow them, or expect to be booted. Duh! Go figure?

LeadSpitter_
04-30-2005, 03:01 PM
hosts should have an options feature to force markings.

Its just completely lame to see german mustangs spitfires and corsairs and 109s with british and japanese american markings in a no labels server.

So I blame ubi for not giving us a feature.

Also we should have a feature in coops that allows the host to auto select everyones ac and make them rdy up so maybe we can get some automated coop servers going.

T_O_A_D
04-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Agreed LS

Henkie_
04-30-2005, 03:52 PM
I never watch the markings.

It is not correct, but also no big deal for me if people fly with wrong markings.

Because long before I can see the markings I can already tell what plane it is, just by the shape of the plane.

rummyrum
04-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Lixma is correct. If you can see a marking on a wing then you can see the shape of the wing etc and from there the type of plane. Look at any period manual on gunnery and there is usually a section on plane profiles. WWII pilots had to learn them as much as you.

pourshot
04-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Guys it realy does depend on your rig and the players eye sight, I need to see the markings to be able to ID in time (**** eyesight here) although that is also dependent on the AoA. I often get shot down by players that look to me like a friendly.


I always fly with default skin and no marking under numer 8

Flying without markings on purpose when the server rules stat you must use the correct ones is trying to gain a advantage, other wise why would you make sure you have None selected http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif


I think if you gonna fly "full real", you should go with the most reliable way of IDing a plane and that's by its shape

If making a ID in real life was that simple nodody would have needed markings would they, plenty of friendlys got killed by making poor ID's

Badsight.
04-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by rummyrum:
Lixma is correct. If you can see a marking on a wing then you can see the shape of the wing etc and from there the type of plane. Look at any period manual on gunnery and there is usually a section on plane profiles. WWII pilots had to learn them as much as you. please test it

Markings appear with the initial LOD which is the most detailed plane shape

ID is not possible over 1KM without zooming in

at the default view markings are the first form of ID to show

Jumoschwanz
05-01-2005, 06:59 AM
When you are flying cockpit-on and no-icons, you certainly appreciate every bit of help you can get to ID aircraft. In the heat of battle it is tough enough.

The white on the crosses of German aircraft shows up at many strange angles and at great distances, anyone else notice this?

Closing speeds in a good high altitude zooming fight can be over 1000km/hr and a target might only be in close range for a fraction of a second glance.

Clip wing spits from some angles and under some sunlight conditions can look enough like an axis plane to confuse both sides.

Any cockpit-on server I have seen in the last three-plus years has stated correct markings are a requirment, anyone that claims not to know this is either a first timer or full of $hit. S!

Jumoschwanz

WUAF_Toad
05-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Perhaps I was violating the server's rule, but my point is that markings weren't painted for the enemy. If anything, a friendly should have *****ed at me. I would've happily put it on if it's gonna help out my side. Some of you're saying let's fly "full real" but please paint your planes red because we painted our planes blue... might as well turn on the icons http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif