PDA

View Full Version : Is a new sim in the works?

stanner1935
12-30-2004, 03:59 PM
I was considering buying another Combat Sim, however, I understand that the creators of IL2
are in the process of creating a Battle of Britain sim. Is this true?
I would prefer to wait for this, since the other combat sims on the market are not that appealing compared to IL2.

stanner1935
12-30-2004, 03:59 PM
I was considering buying another Combat Sim, however, I understand that the creators of IL2
I would prefer to wait for this, since the other combat sims on the market are not that appealing compared to IL2.

jeroen-79
12-30-2004, 06:12 PM
BoB is in the works but AFAIK there is no hard releasedate yet.

So if you feel that your simming needs aren't fully satisfied by IL2/FB/PF alone then you shouldn't wait for BoB.

If by "IL2" you mean the original game, you could get FB, AEP and PF.
And there are plenty of other simgames in the bargainbin.

cwojackson
12-30-2004, 07:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stanner1935:
I would prefer to wait for this, since the other combat sims on the market are not that appealing compared to IL2. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They haven't finished Pacific Fighters yet...

I'm not going to be in any rush to buy any future releases from Ubisoft until well after release and I know it is finished and complete.

stanner1935
12-30-2004, 09:32 PM
I do have the Il2 FB Gold Pack. I was thinking of CFS 3. However, I am hesitant since the reviews I have read are not flattering.

Thanks for the replies.

LEXX_Luthor
12-30-2004, 09:41 PM
FB isn't even finished yet. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

New stuff coming, some more Eastern Front maps, new clouds, from the looks of Dev Updates--AI-functional flat test runways you can place on the maps (we hope this is the case), etc...and of course, new planes. But you will need the PF to Patch up with that stuff.

Skycat_2
12-30-2004, 10:35 PM
1C:MG's "Battle of Britain" promises to revolutionize WWII air sims. Supposedly the physics model/FM will be more advanced, the 3-D models and damage models will be more detailed, and the game will handle AI not in visual range differently so that more planes can be on the map. However, we're hearing that that it's going to require beefier computers to run everything. Tentative release is at the end of 2005, but I think it will get delayed into 2006.

As for CFS-3, it's not so bad if you get it to play offline (not online), you're not a stickler for historic accuracy, and you enjoy ground attack. I was disappointed with CFS-3 when it first came out mostly because the cockpits of many of the planes are below IL-2's standards, but once I dug into a campaign in the Typhoon 1B I've had some really good moments playing it and sometimes CFS-3 simply fits my mood better than FB/AEP.

chaikanut
12-31-2004, 06:24 AM
At this moment there is no other simulator as good as il2/fb/pf. You may try if you want CFS3 with all the realism addons (otherwise it feels like space invaders) if you want some variety, however il2 is better in all aspects: graphics, combat and flying experience. I know since I have both. There are also some online only simulators out there. Graphics and flight model are horrible but they can have a lot of players.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-31-2004, 11:47 AM
Stanner1935, do yourself a favor and go grab PF and merge it with your "Gold pack". It will give you myriad more options, another entirely new theater, and full online accessibility with most of the other servers out there. (If you play online of course)

I don't have the inside track, but wouldn't expect the 1:C version of BoB until late 2005...at the earliest.

TB

TooCool_12f
01-01-2005, 06:32 AM
someone has counted and in FB/AEP/PF you have something like 175 planes and variants flyable...

different maps, different regions.. basically, no other sim gives that much choice (maybe if you spend a couple of years seearching for add-ons for CFS1 or 2 you may get close, but the rest of the modelling is nowhere near PF in these titles)

basically, it will still get some developments, but even as it is now, if you like flight sims, it's a "must-have" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chuck_Older
01-01-2005, 08:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cwojackson:

I'm not going to be in any rush to buy any future releases from Ubisoft until well after release and I know it is finished and complete. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First: UbiSoft did not make PF. They are the publisher, not the developer. 1C:Maddox Games makes PF

Second: would you be happier if this was the way it was 10 years ago? The game gets released, you get zero input from the developer, the developer doesn't explain a thing to you, you just report a bug, and maybe if enough folks also report it, they will grudgingly make an update or a patch, sometimes available by mail? Have you ever seen another sim or game where the guy who made the thing comes by and talks to you and answers your questions? Support from 1C:Maddox is the <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">best</span>, bar none

Third: 1C:Maddox Games could do what companies like MicrosSoft traditionally does- just never patch or update- games's done when it ships. Did you know that MS's CFS3 was the first title they admitted to as needing a pacth? Does that indicate how complex a sophisticated PC program like a flight sim is?

Fourth: What you do with your money is your affair, but you'll never know if any game is finished and complete unless you troubleshoot anf beta test it yourself in every conceivable manner. Many folks think being a beta tester/bug finder is fun and easy, and it's not. You have to figure out every insame combination of what every user might do, and of course you can't ever do that. Bugs will get through. I've yet to see anything perfect in life. You pick the best you can. If 1C:Maddox' products aren't that for you, then you are free to purchase any game you like, or even give the whole thing up as a bad job http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

sapre
01-01-2005, 09:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cwojackson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stanner1935:
I would prefer to wait for this, since the other combat sims on the market are not that appealing compared to IL2. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not going to be in any rush to buy any future releases from Ubisoft until well after release and I know it is finished and complete. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do so http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

cwojackson
01-02-2005, 05:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:

First: UbiSoft did not make PF. They are the publisher, not the developer. 1C:Maddox Games makes PF

Second: would you be happier if this was the way it was 10 years ago? The game gets released, you get zero input from the developer, the developer doesn't explain a thing to you, you just report a bug, and maybe if enough folks also report it, they will grudgingly make an update or a patch, sometimes available by _mail?_ Have you ever seen another sim or game where the guy who made the thing comes by and talks to you and answers your questions? Support from 1C:Maddox is the <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">best</span>, bar none

Third: 1C:Maddox Games could do what companies like MicrosSoft traditionally does- just never patch or update- games's done when it ships. Did you know that MS's CFS3 was the first title they admitted to as _needing_ a pacth? Does that indicate how complex a sophisticated PC program like a flight sim is?

Fourth: What you do with your money is your affair, but you'll never know if any game is finished and complete unless you troubleshoot anf beta test it yourself in every conceivable manner. Many folks think being a beta tester/bug finder is fun and easy, and it's not. You have to figure out every insame combination of what every user might do, and of course you can't ever do that. Bugs will get through. I've yet to see _any_thing perfect in life. You pick the best you can. If 1C:Maddox' products aren't that for you, then you are free to purchase any game you like, or even give the whole thing up as a bad job http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First. Okay, 1CMaddox is responsible for this failure and not Ubisoft. I apologize to Ubisoft.

Second. I would be happier getting the product I purchased now. I could care less about 10 years ago.

Third. Or 1CMaddox could promise to fix their incomplete game with a patch in two weeks, two weeks, two weeks, two weeks...

Fourth. I got a beta, I paid for a finished product.

VW-IceFire
01-02-2005, 06:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:

Second: would you be happier if this was the way it was 10 years ago? The game gets released, you get zero input from the developer, the developer doesn't explain a thing to you, you just report a bug, and maybe if enough folks also report it, they will grudgingly make an update or a patch, sometimes available by _mail?_ Have you ever seen another sim or game where the guy who made the thing comes by and talks to you and answers your questions? Support from 1C:Maddox is the <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">best</span>, bar none

Third: 1C:Maddox Games could do what companies like MicrosSoft traditionally does- just never patch or update- games's done when it ships. Did you know that MS's CFS3 was the first title they admitted to as _needing_ a pacth? Does that indicate how complex a sophisticated PC program like a flight sim is?

Fourth: What you do with your money is your affair, but you'll never know if any game is finished and complete unless you troubleshoot anf beta test it yourself in every conceivable manner. Many folks think being a beta tester/bug finder is fun and easy, and it's not. You have to figure out every insame combination of what every user might do, and of course you can't ever do that. Bugs will get through. I've yet to see _any_thing perfect in life. You pick the best you can. If 1C:Maddox' products aren't that for you, then you are free to purchase any game you like, or even give the whole thing up as a bad job http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First. Okay, 1CMaddox is responsible for this failure and not Ubisoft. I apologize to Ubisoft.

Second. I would be happier getting the product I purchased now. I could care less about 10 years ago.

Third. Or 1CMaddox could promise to fix their incomplete game with a patch in two weeks, two weeks, two weeks, two weeks...

Fourth. I got a beta, I paid for a finished product. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
True...but you'll get a finished product and then some later on as the game progresses in development. Plus, it wasn't unplayable out of the box either...its perfectly fine. Its just a little scarce on the content that we're used to seeing.

Grendel-B
01-03-2005, 11:10 AM

I suggest you buy instead then for example MS Combat Flight Simulator 1, 2 or 3. They are finished products. Must be, there are no patches coming for it anymore. Or the original IL-2 Sturmovik. Or perhaps European Air War.

It could be that you might want to wait for the final patch though for those games as well. It could be a long wait. Good thing your pc comes with Minesweeper and Solitaire, though!

WWMaxGunz
01-03-2005, 11:58 AM
cwojackson... I suggest you look hard at what you have and the others completely then
quit crying over what might be. That is reality versus want-fantasies you will never
completely get anywhere. IOW, stop being a whining baby.

Chuck_Older
01-05-2005, 10:10 AM

Ah. You misunderstand almost my entire post.

If 1C:Maddox Games had a choice, would they have released the whole thing, or would they have released it without some of the content? I guess you don't know or realise that 1C:Maddox Games was limited to two CDs by UbiSoft. Oleg didn't really have a choice but to release PF the way it was released

On my second point, you miss the thrust of what I'm saying: 1C:Maddox Games has proven again and again that they support their products

On the third one, you are telling me that your assumption that they are in effect lying to us about even IF they will patch is fact. Hardly. That is your opinion.

On my fourth point, what you don't seem to understand is that you did get a 'finished' product. that was as 'finished' as it could be, given Ubi's constraints on Oleg. Take any PC game or sim out there. If you can find one without bugs or problems please let me know. If you can find one that ships a playable game even when the publisher says:OK Developer, you can only have X amount of space to do your thing even though we know you need three or maybe four CDs, then we can compare what is 'finished' and 'unfinished' and what those might mean.

If that seems hard to grasp, consider Il2:FB...that's still being patched, right? So Il2:FB is an unfinished product by your logic.

crazyivan1970
01-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Saying unfinished is a little bit wrong IMO. IL-2 series were always a sim in progress. It was transforming into something bigger and better during past 3 years. And Pacific fighters is no exception. People that are new to this sim might get impression that it`s unfinished and it`s understandable, but after few patches and addons they will eventually get with the program.

Unfinished means: Support discontinued - and that is not the case http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Capt._Tenneal
01-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Gah ! The old "I paid for so-and-so" argument holds as much water as the "free speech applies to these forums" argument -- which means none.

Who says that you did not pay for what the game is worth ? Maybe the way it is when released it does cost $ 40 US. If it was released to your satisfaction it may have cost $ 60 US due to the additional time and work. We'll never know, so it's useless to speculate.

But let me guess, even if Oleg gave the game away for FREE, you'd still b*tch and moan, right ?

LEXX_Luthor
01-05-2005, 11:34 AM
If its Finished its Old

4CSF is cancelled. Microsoft is Finished http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Gibbage1
01-05-2005, 01:16 PM

Welcome to the video game industry.

Recon_609IAP
01-05-2005, 04:54 PM
maybe you can send your copy back cwojackson and get cfs3.

If you have played both you'll quickly find out this "unfinished product" knocks the socks off cfs3.

But, some people dont' their you know what from their you know what http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif