PDA

View Full Version : About Saitek joysticks



dirkpit7
09-18-2007, 08:48 AM
First, greetings to all forum members. I've been reading this forum for months, and finally decided to join up.

I'm thinking about buying a Saitek stick, and X45, X52 and X52 Pro are interesting me most.
So, which would you recommend? What differences are there, especially between X52 and X52 Pro? (in a picture they appear very similar, but Pro costs considerably more)
And is the X45 much worse? It would be a little cheaper, at least.

Thanks in advance!

Bearcat99
09-18-2007, 08:50 AM
X-45s are harder to come by as they are older sticks... of the 3 the Pro would be the best choice.. but if money is an issue then go with the X-52.

general_kalle
09-18-2007, 09:34 AM
i have just got a Saitek Aviator/AV8R
its cheap compared to what it can do.
and im very satisfied with it.

2. throttles, 4 X 2-2way switches
in 3 modes so that 24 different buttoms.

hat switch and 3 buttoms on the top and of course on trigger.

dirkpit7
09-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by general_kalle:
i have just got a Saitek Aviator/AV8R
its cheap compared to what it can do.
and im very satisfied with it.

2. throttles, 4 X 2-2way switches
in 3 modes so that 24 different buttoms.

hat switch and 3 buttoms on the top and of course on trigger.

Aviator looks like a nice stick indeed, I especially like how it looks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif. I'd like to have a separate thottle controller though, that's why i would prefer X52...even with the higher price.

Sturm_Williger
09-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I too would like to know the difference between the plain X52 and the Pro.

Just curiosity though, I hate the thought of having to move on from my X45 - wish they still made them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

simflyer2007
09-18-2007, 06:04 PM
I c'ant afford any of that,sp I have the incredible st90 with 2 working buttons,i digital throttle that doesnt comply with il2 and a trigger that works about half the time.(get the pro) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-18-2007, 06:16 PM
The Pro supposedly has slightly better internals, some metal parts, a far more advanced multi-function display (but still not much you can do with it), and color changing LEDs. I think thats about it. I have an X52 and love it. I'm currently using an Evo force with the x52 throttle. I'm considering selling my ch pedals for the saitek pedals and the evo force for a CH stick. CH stick, X52 throttle and Saitek pedals sounds like my perfect setup. Oh, and trackIR of course.

woofiedog
09-19-2007, 01:47 AM
dirkpit7... Welcome to the Forum... I take it you might be a Clive Cussler fan?

I've read them all except the last two. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Oh and by the way you might want to take a look at this posting.

What I think of X52 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2331082985)

Capt.LoneRanger
09-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by woofiedog:
dirkpit7... Welcome to the Forum... I take it you might be a Clive Cussler fan?

I've read them all except the last two. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Oh and by the way you might want to take a look at this posting.

What I think of X52 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2331082985)


Yeah http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

I had the same problem with the crashing X52 I bought as defect on ebay. Took me about 2 minutes to fix. But of course this way of handling the problem is way more spectacular. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

VonGrantoven
09-19-2007, 02:29 AM
I picked up a used x45 on ebay for about $30 a couple of months ago.
The thing is solid and has just about all the funtionality of the x52 but there are far fewer reports of problems.
It also features a rocker switch on the quadrant rather than the twisty-handle rudder of the x52. I find that this is a much better rudder solution if you dont have pedals (still looking for $30 pedals! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).
Hands down one of the best bang-for-buck purchases I have made!
Check ebay, there always seem to be a bunch going if you are interested.

dirkpit7
09-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by woofiedog:
dirkpit7... Welcome to the Forum... I take it you might be a Clive Cussler fan?

I've read them all except the last two. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Oh and by the way you might want to take a look at this posting.

What I think of X52 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2331082985)

Yes, you're right! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I've read all Pitt's adventures, some of them many times.

I had a look on that tread...many complaints but also positive feedback. I got an impression that it's the plain X52 that has problems. Maybe Pro would be more reliable?

Also the X45 seems to be very liked by its users. Good option maybe, if i could find one somewhere?

Thanks for all respones.

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Al Giordino just called...he said friends don't let friends buy Saitek. :|

SithSpeeder
09-19-2007, 12:57 PM
I originally had an X-45 and liked it lots, flying with it for years.

I now have an X-52 and the action on the stick is much smoother (no creaking, better sensitivity). My first one did fail, but Saitek covered the replacement (ok, it cost me shipping one way). I have found their customer support outstanding.

Obviously, with both sticks available to me, the X-52 wins hands down.

Just changed from CH pedals to Saitek pedals, too. Wider stance is nice.

Gotta have TrackIR2 or more (4 rocks).

A decent USB headset/mic combo is a must ($35-$50).

YMMV.

* _54th_Speeder *

-HH- Beebop
09-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm a hard core Saitek fan. My first stick was a Saitek X7-38 that had three buttons and a throttle. It still works fine but it's a gameport so it now has a place in my "IL-2 Museum" next to the original game.
From there I went to the X-45. Got it used off eBay and I loved the stick, even having to use the rocker for rudder control. When I had an opportunity to get an X-52 and did. I liked it better with the MFD and all the lights. I did miss the tighter spring but solved that by inserting a DVD pack top ala Mysticpuma's Tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYBvO2i0h24). With the SST software I was able to map literally everything to the HOTAS and slide the keyboard away and not have to use it to fly at all. Yes, I really enjoy the X-52.

And sure it looks like Star Trek (so did the X-45) but since I don't look at my stick while I fly, so what. The twisty did get spikey but that only drove me to get Saitek's rudder pedals. They are SWEET!
I too hear the Pro is a bit more reliable but I'm satisfied w/the X-52. Two years and (except for the spiky twisty) no problems. It's my opinion that those who have bad experiences with Saitek products might be slamming their sticks around and it probably wouldn't take too much of that. If that's you style go for the Cougar HOTAS. Very rugged but pricey and to get a decent set of electronics installed can cost as much as the original setup.

I can recommend the X-52 as long as you treat it like a lady and don't slam her around. In combo with the Saitek pedals it's IL2 Heaven. The Aviator might be a good choice as well as from what I've seen in stores it seems to be a well built piece of kit. Their customer support has been good to me. When I got the X-45 it didn't have suction cups for the bases and Saitek sent them to me, no charge, even though I wasn't the original purchaser, in two weeks. (Now that's better than 1C). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this and the other posts are helpful. Good luck.

Ernst_Rohr
09-19-2007, 02:11 PM
If you have the cash, get the Pro.

I have had several CH and Saitek sticks, and like em both, of the Saiteks, the Pro is by far the better stick.

The original X-52 is a little heavier, but the Pro has much better components and isnt as floppy as the basic X52.

My X52 ran for years, and is now currently working fine for a one of my squadron members who gave it a new home. I have had the Pro since it came out, and I have never had any issues with it.

Both are good sticks, but the Pro is better.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
09-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Hey Dirk... Can you see if Al Giordino can snag me one of those cigars?

Waldo.Pepper
09-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by -HH- Beebop:
I'm a hard core Saitek fan. My first stick was a Saitek X7-38 that had three buttons and a throttle. It still works fine but it's a gameport so it now has a place in my "IL-2 Museum" next to the original game.
From there I went to the X-45. Got it used off eBay and I loved the stick, even having to use the rocker for rudder control. When I had an opportunity to get an X-52 and did. I liked it better with the MFD and all the lights. I did miss the tighter spring but solved that by inserting a DVD pack top ala Mysticpuma's Tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYBvO2i0h24). With the SST software I was able to map literally everything to the HOTAS and slide the keyboard away and not have to use it to fly at all. Yes, I really enjoy the X-52.

And sure it looks like Star Trek (so did the X-45) but since I don't look at my stick while I fly, so what. The twisty did get spikey but that only drove me to get Saitek's rudder pedals. They are SWEET!
I too hear the Pro is a bit more reliable but I'm satisfied w/the X-52. Two years and (except for the spiky twisty) no problems. It's my opinion that those who have bad experiences with Saitek products might be slamming their sticks around and it probably wouldn't take too much of that. If that's you style go for the Cougar HOTAS. Very rugged but pricey and to get a decent set of electronics installed can cost as much as the original setup.

I can recommend the X-52 as long as you treat it like a lady and don't slam her around. In combo with the Saitek pedals it's IL2 Heaven. The Aviator might be a good choice as well as from what I've seen in stores it seems to be a well built piece of kit. Their customer support has been good to me. When I got the X-45 it didn't have suction cups for the bases and Saitek sent them to me, no charge, even though I wasn't the original purchaser, in two weeks. (Now that's better than 1C). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this and the other posts are helpful. Good luck.

My experience as well. Though I look at my stick more I think.

-HH- Beebop
09-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
My experience as well. Though I look at my stick more I think.
Do tell......
On second thought, I won't say anything. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

dirkpit7
09-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
Al Giordino just called...he said friends don't let friends buy Saitek. :|

Really? He hasn't told me that ...maybe he hasn't seen thid thread yet... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

dirkpit7
09-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Wild.Bill.Kelso:
Hey Dirk... Can you see if Al Giordino can snag me one of those cigars?

From admiral's private store...I'm sure he can. Should I pass the word to him? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Back to the subject: Probably I'm going with the X52 Pro. I can afford it, its not that pricey(compare with CH Products...).

About the twich rudder, I actually need that feature as i don't have pedals. Hopefully it's going to last for some time, until i get pedals.

Thanks for all answers. They have helped a lot.

Wild.Bill.Kelso
09-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I had an X45 for about 2 years, and now an X52 Pro for about 8 months. I'm pretty happy with both. Sometimes, I have to download a profile 2-3 times to get it to work. Or even download a different profile, then the one I want. Not sure if the problem is with the profile or the software, but it works.