PDA

View Full Version : How could one review give it 10 and another 5?

b-busher
11-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Even though I havent played the game I just cant believe it I,m shocked, but what I dont understand is how it can get 9.1(GT)9.5(GI) and one 5/5 one 4.5/5 and one 10/10 37/40 and then some sites gave it 5/10 ign and 3.5 and 2 seven out of tens, these are extremely mixed reviews. I just dont get it how? I will have to wait until I play it to see but hopefull we will get some positive reviews from eurogamer and gamespot it we do then overall the reviews are terrible.

Leeness01
11-13-2007, 12:17 PM
IGN didn't give it a 5/10. They haven't given it a score yet.

The video review had no mention of a numerical score.

Exassassin
11-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Different tastes, different opinions. The IGN review should be ignored in every aspect, though. I agreed with Gamespy and Teamxbox that it deserves an 8.0/8.5 but not a 5 out of 10 (which is lower than Spiderman 3 because that had a 6) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Exassassin
11-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Leeness01:

It didn't? Then who's the stupid ****** who said the score was 5 out of 10? Anyways.. I'll feel mad at IGN if they scored it lower than the 8 from Teamxbox. It's far better than Spiderman 3 in my opinion and that game had a 6 from IGN and a 7 wouldn't do it justice.

Dark_zip
11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
I dont care what game reviewers think since they only look at it the way they are supposed to do but if you look at it like a gamer you know that AC does something never done before! Its just fresh and new And its something else from all the FPS out there It made a Huge living world And so what it has flaws? Its a pilot game and the sequels are gonna rock so hard that dead game reviewers will turn into mindles AC 2 playing zombies!

b-busher
11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
O..I heard they did you just cheered me up alot( I take reviews way too seriously even though I have been advised by gamestop employee,s not to read their reviews for some reason) if gamespot give a good review like others then I will be much happier but I,m just so worried.

jonavoly
11-13-2007, 12:22 PM
The problem is, that if a old school gamer is doing the review, he will probably not like the controlls... this leads to him sucking at the game, leading to a low score... For those of you who would consider yourselves open to new ideas, you'll love it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

unnamedninja
11-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Welcome to the nasty world of videogame politics. Where rival publishers bribe or set up their own videogame review sites, which is very cheap to do, and basically say a game is awful because tada! they're bringing a game out on the same day.

Have a look at the games coming out the same day or so as assassin's creed, those are the publishers who are saying the game sucks.

Many high profile games will recieve good reviews from uncorrupted sources, and stinking reviews from others

Leeness01
11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Exassassin:

It didn't? Then who's the stupid ****** who said the score was 5 out of 10? Anyways.. I'll feel mad at IGN if they scored it lower than the 8 from Teamxbox. It's far better than Spiderman 3 in my opinion and that game had a 6 from IGN and a 7 wouldn't do it justice.

Either the guy was lying, or he thought the "top 5 most disappointing games of this magnitude" meant 5/10.

In any case... they're not going to give it a great review. But I highly doubt a 5/10.

The one guy reviewing it said he absolutely hated the story as well, so, that's going to be an obvious bias in their review.

Once they get their score out, it's probably going to be anywhere from 6.5-7.5, depending on how much he takes the story into account.

Ellis The Exile
11-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Everyone has different tastes and different opinions. Let me point something out to you, the IGN reviewer hated the story. It was his biggest gripe, even before it being repetitive, which I ask you what game isn't repetitive? What game throws something truly different and unique at you every turn? I can't think of one.. huh. Anyway, if you don't like the story, chances are you'll agree with IGN. If you love the story, then you'll love the game, or at least like it better than he did.

Hype is a double edged sword, it can work for you and against you. I fear in Assassin's Creed case it will work against, only time will tell. I know I'll love this game though.

lostassassin123
11-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Leeness01:

Realy?
*phew*
Hope it will be more than 8....

Dvlos56
11-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by lostassassin123:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leeness01:

Realy?
*phew*
Hope it will be more than 8.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they give it a 1 out of 10 what does it matter if YOU think its a 10/10?

Ellis The Exile
11-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Not if they let the guy who did the video review write the normal review to it won't :P

dd22cowboys
11-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Reviews are very important, maybe not to us, but many bad reviews could mean no AC2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Spykes_wab
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
The wide range of scores is leading me to believe that AC is gonna be one of those games that you either love or hate. Not gonna be much of a middle ground.

Reviews are very important, maybe not to us, but many bad reviews could mean no AC2

That's somewhat true. Really though, the big reason why the game will or won't get a sequel is money. It can get the worst reviews in the world, but if it makes a buttload of cash, the game company will make more.

b-busher
11-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Will it be the same guy doing the written review as the guy who did the video one?

Spykes_wab
11-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by b-busher:
Will it be the same guy doing the written review as the guy who did the video one?

I donno about IGN, but I think that is the case when it comes to Gamespot. I know that when they do the video review on Gamespot, it's almost word for word the same as the written review.

nakv
11-13-2007, 12:43 PM
The early reviews are sketchy since they're exclusive reviews. the 7/10 reviews aren't so bad. It's still above average. Still looking forward to playing it. Very much so! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Dvlos56:

Not many people here have played it, or have for very long yet so reviews are all we have to go on.

TheECP
11-13-2007, 12:45 PM
I think AC is definitely gonna be a Love it or Hate it game.

Ellis The Exile
11-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Well you know, I read reviews like everyone else, but they don't do my thinking for me. One thing you have to remember is not everyone is going to like a game, or a movie, or a book. Its not going to unite all fronts and make them go "OMGGGG ITS AMAZINGGG!!!" Well.. unless your name is Halo 3 anyway. But thats for another day.

My point is, not everyone will love this game to death, but I'm sure some people will. Some people will like it, some people will not like it, and some will hate it. Were all unique and interesting individuals (I hope) and therefore have our own unique and interesting opinion's, likes and dislikes. I believe I will love this game, thats my opinion. The only person you should let speak for you, is you!

BTOG46
11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Sometimes reviews are given to people to do, and it just happens to be a type of game they either don't play, or that they even dislike the genre.
I've actually seen magazine reviewers admit that they don't like a game style, and that they didn't understand why they'd been given it to review. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif
Is it any wonder that some reviewers will rave over a game and others slam it given that type of attitude from them.

AirRon_2K7
11-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Dvlos56:

Wow something worth while came out of your mouth. I agree, although I am a bit perplexed about how much he exagerated on how much of a disappointment the game is. But as a rule, I never listen to a man who's name is Hilary xD

Rogue4152
11-13-2007, 01:08 PM
ign gave it a 7.7/10

8.0 Presentation
The historical setting is brilliantly recreated. The story is slow-paced and has some uninspired elements.

8.5 Graphics
The world is beautiful except for the pop-in and framerate issues. The animations are top-notch.

7.5 Sound
Every voice actor is fantastic save one -- the lead actor. The ambient noise could have been a lot stronger.

7.5 Gameplay
Go anywhere and kill anyone. These are Creed's strong points. The game gets bogged down in repetitive tasks too often.

7.0 Lasting Appeal
It could take anywhere from 10-15 hours to complete depending on how thoroughly you explore the world. There's no reason to come back for seconds.

Good OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

See All Assassin's Creed (X360) Reader Reviews

ParanoiD84
11-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes a 7.7 to 360 and 7.5 to ps3, but i now im gonna love this game.

b-busher
11-13-2007, 01:17 PM
I added all the scores and the average is 8 which is good but one thing that annoyes me is that just cause this game had alot of hype behind it and because they didnt like small aspects of the game they marked it lower if you think a game is going to be perfect and its not then dont go and give it a bad mark because you thought it would be prefect give it what it derserved if you just see it and played it without ever hearing about it.

Dvlos56
11-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by AirRon_2K7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dvlos56:

Wow something worth while came out of your mouth. I agree, although I am a bit perplexed about how much he exagerated on how much of a disappointment the game is. But as a rule, I never listen to a man who's name is Hilary xD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I mentioned in the Video review thread, I think there will be a group of gamers that loves it, and loves the good stuff a lot, and even love the cheesed up sci-fi storyline (No problems with Altair's storyline at all). While others will not find enough fun in free-running/escaping/Altair's task to love it and wind up hating it (because of the monumental hype behind it.. had it had no hype no one would care AS much).

chickmgnt222
11-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I added all the scores and the average is 8

Let's see, 8+8.5+7.5+7.5+7=38.5

38.5/5= 7.7

one thing that annoyes me is that just cause this game had alot of hype behind it and because they didnt like small aspects of the game they marked it lower

People do that a lot with everything, tis true.

b-busher
11-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by chickmgnt222:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by b-busher:
I added all the scores and the average is 8

Let's see, 8+8.5+7.5+7.5+7=38.5

38.5/5= 7.7

one thing that annoyes me is that just cause this game had alot of hype behind it and because they didnt like small aspects of the game they marked it lower

People do that a lot with everything, tis true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to gamestats the are alot more reviews their.

chickmgnt222
11-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Go to gamestats the are alot more reviews their.

Ah, so I take it you weren't referring to the score of IGN then. My mistake.

jonavoly
11-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Main reasons why reviews differ so much...
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Reviewer just plain sucks at the game
<LI>Reveiwer is an anti-fanboy
<LI>Reviewer was an over-fanboy and expected way to much
<LI>Reviewer hated story which is matter of taste (I like it very much)
<LI>Reviewer rushed the game and didn't play propperly (follow the creed next time, go in low profile http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)
<LI>Reviewer has personal vendetta against ubisoft (Has happened multiple times)
<LI>Reviewer doesn't like inovation (It happens)
<LI>Reviewer didn't bother to check turning the difficulty up a notch http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif[/list]
Quite a list huh?

woot
11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Screw all these reviews the on;y groups i truly trust r gameinformer and Egm other then them people can say the game sucks and ill still get it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

Raide
11-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Carry on at the Reviews Sticky Post (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/1191057706)

Thanks All.

Raide
Uk Forum Manager