PDA

View Full Version : Which Operating System?

gdfo
12-07-2007, 03:30 PM
OK.. Going from a 32 to a 64 bit system and using at least an Intel duo core,which operating system works best with IL-46?

XP Pro ?

XP 64 ?

Vista?

VW-IceFire
12-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Question for you...why are you going to a 64bit OS? Do you have a need for it? Because unless you have a reason to do so there is no good reason for anyone to go to a 64bit OS just yet.

Driver support for both XP and Vista versions of the 64bit OS are not as robust as for 32bit and for the moment few people have the need for such an OS. Eventually 64bit will offer us far higher memory limits and a theoretical performance improvement but not yet.

I was absolutely on board with the hardware people building 64bit into the chips. This is really good because once support is there the software will slowly migrate but I figure it'll be not until the next version of Windows or even the one after that which will be 64bit primarily.

As for 32bit options...opinions are divided for XP and Vista. The problems XP had back in 2001 are the same that Vista is having now. They are slowly being worked out and Vista is getting better all the time. It has problems...some people have issues with them...other people not. Personally I had almost no issues with Vista...just a couple but there's always something and thats to be expected.

Chris0382
12-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Install a seperate XP-32 gaming partition without all the **** and make it as plain as possible and get the best (not latest) drivers for your video card and processor if available. You wont be dissaponted.

RAF_OldBuzzard
12-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I can't say from experience anything about Vista but for XP go with x64. People who claim that driver support, ect are missing for XP x64 either haven't used it or have been living under a rock for the last year.

I'm running a multi-boot system with 3 XP and 3 XP x64 partitions. One XP is just a 'clean install so that I can get on the net if all else fails, one is for the wife since whe uses one ancient Geneology program that really should be run on Win95, and one that I use for one application that I used way back in Win 3.11, but still manages to run in XP but not XP x64. I use it maybe once a month. The other 3 XP x64 partitions I use: 1 for IL2 only, one for FPS games like Halflife2, and 1 for general net surfing, CD/DVD burning, etc.

In all cases, I've found x64 to be better, and just a bit 'snappier' if you will, than the 32 bit version. Maybe it's because XP x64 is based off of Windows Server 2003 rather than the original XP.

I've seen a lot of folks on DriverHeaven say the same about Vista. THose that have used both like the 64 bit version better.

My take on it: If you have a 64 bit processor, and run a 32 bit OS on it, it's like buying a convertable, and never putting the top down.

fabianfred
12-07-2007, 09:22 PM
so how do you get on with so many XP installs?

are they all dual/multi boots and all installed from the same XP CD or do you have several...

XP is hard to find now since MS want us all to use Vista

gdfo
12-08-2007, 04:22 AM
OK so if I get XP-64, are there any special notes to installing '46 on it?

RAF_OldBuzzard
12-08-2007, 04:35 AM
Nope, other than the fact that you will see TWO Program Files folders. One named Program Files, and another Program Files (x86). IL2 will be installed into the (x86) folder.

Fabian:

I use HyperOS for managing multiple Operating Systems: http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

I'm a beta tester for them and am currently running the 2008 Super Geek version.

DmdSeeker
12-08-2007, 06:06 AM
I've just popped a cheap quad core into my system and gone for Vista 64.

I'm very happy with the results and regard it as one of the best "bang for the buck" upgrades I've done in years. The CPU and Vista together cost about half what my graphic card cost two years ago.

I specificaly went for a 64 bit system to be able to increase my RAM.

A 32 bit system can't use more than 3 Gb of RAM. My motherboard, like most today, has four slots and can suppport up to 8 Gb of RAM.

But you need to go to a 64 bit system to do it.

I chose Vista over XP because while there may well be good driver support for XP64 right now, I think it's a safe bet that it'll be Vista drivers that'll be getting developer attention in the future.

As for the difference:

My machine has always run IL-2 well, but suffered fluctuations in FPS due to load.

Now the Black Death track runs solid with every thing maxed out.

Similarly, I was getting 8 - 15 FPS over Copenhagen airport in FSX with all the sliders set to half way.

Now I'm getting a solid 20 FPS with all the sliders maxed out.

When I reinstalled Oblivion after the upgrade the auto configuration went straight to "ultra high settings"; a very satisfying sight http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

gdfo
12-08-2007, 05:11 PM
The reason for asking is that we have Vista-64 on a PC with an AMD chip at work and it is slowwwwwwww.

fabianfred
12-08-2007, 07:23 PM
@Dmdseeker... is that right about the 32bit only taking 3gb. RAM?
I just got a four slot board for my new Core Duo E6850 3 Ghz. and 8800GTS 320mb. and I have two 1gb of RAM....with the intention of going to 4 Gb later

I use XP pro 2002 service pack 2

RAF_OldBuzzard
12-08-2007, 07:24 PM
I'll bet that 'work PC' is lacking in RAM. Vista really needs a minimum of 2 Gig,

Either that, or whoever installed Vista didn't really know what they were doing. It probably needs a de-frag too..

Kauzio
12-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I've read around this issue a lot, and I solidly recommend 32bit Vista right now.

I used XP religiously for years, but since getting a new PC I've had Vista 32bit and haven't looked back.

I think people who are saying it's rubbish are either using old hardware (Which is fair enough), or haven't used it extensively (i.e. they used it briefly, got confused with new layouts of menus, got annoyed, and condemned it).

The 64bit option right now is a bad idea in my book, because as far as I know, you can't use unsigned drivers in 64bit vista, which could cause you all kinds of trouble. Added to the fact that 64bit will raise some problems with software you want to run, it's not worth the perceived advantage.

the architecture is definitely better, but give it a few years. I have 4GB of ram in my PC, but got 32bit even though I knew I'd only get about 3.3gb of that ram because of the 32bit limit.

However, for at least a year or two, 3.2gb will be plenty, and when the time comes to get 64bit all will be fine.