PDA

View Full Version : HARDWARE: Cougar Users Throttle Issues (Opinions Wanted)

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Have any of you cougar users had a problem with your throttle quadrant whereby the range is limited (not necessarily just in game, but in the calibration util.) to say 25% to 86% and it take about 1.5 minutes to move from one end of the spectrum to the other?

I was checking out cougar world last night, and it seems to be a widespread issue for those that updgraded to FirmWare 2.3b with their joystick plugged in (RTFM I did not /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ). Something about the voltage settings changes in the throttle and thereby wearing down the pot in the throttle.

Any help would be appreciated. I opened up the throttle last night, and the pot is the piece that sits at the end of the innerts of the joystick (I guess measuring how much the throttle has moved) correct? i.e. It's soldered to the board inside the throttle, and fits into a little grove at the end of the throttle arm inside the box.

Will routine cleaning of the pots help on both the joystick and throttle to prevent this, or should I just get a replacement pot (where do I get one --- I've written Guillermot support about this).

Also, I'm getting center play on the joystick. Is the only way to get rid of this to do one of the mods? i.e. Uber cougar, or CubPilot Hall Sensor mod?

Thanks for your help all.

lil'

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Have any of you cougar users had a problem with your throttle quadrant whereby the range is limited (not necessarily just in game, but in the calibration util.) to say 25% to 86% and it take about 1.5 minutes to move from one end of the spectrum to the other?

I was checking out cougar world last night, and it seems to be a widespread issue for those that updgraded to FirmWare 2.3b with their joystick plugged in (RTFM I did not /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ). Something about the voltage settings changes in the throttle and thereby wearing down the pot in the throttle.

Any help would be appreciated. I opened up the throttle last night, and the pot is the piece that sits at the end of the innerts of the joystick (I guess measuring how much the throttle has moved) correct? i.e. It's soldered to the board inside the throttle, and fits into a little grove at the end of the throttle arm inside the box.

Will routine cleaning of the pots help on both the joystick and throttle to prevent this, or should I just get a replacement pot (where do I get one --- I've written Guillermot support about this).

Also, I'm getting center play on the joystick. Is the only way to get rid of this to do one of the mods? i.e. Uber cougar, or CubPilot Hall Sensor mod?

Thanks for your help all.

lil'

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 03:29 PM
I am not opening mine!
This certainly is a problem because of the patch 1.1.b!
Some people expierience it in some a/c types i have expierienced throttle problems after this patch with each ac, i was able to fly before the auto reboot sets in lso after the patch and each time 9and only) when i am fliyng FB

There are many responces on these problem shame that they are all over the forum treads and not concentrated in lets sat the technical suport thread!

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 03:38 PM
I"m very sorry you are experiencing problems with your Cougar. Maybe a half year ago I was considering buying one myself. but after hearing customer stories about the need to open up the joystick for various reasons (joystick movement toughness was one of things where alot of customers were opening their joysticks for).

I simply find this unacceptable. the need for such a dramatic correction on a joystick that would cost me $500 is simply unaccepatble (here in belgium it's the cheapest price around $500, in the US it's a different story, maybe not even half of that price).

for that price I can use (and f$ckup) several topgun afterburner II's (with FF).

your story is just another one on the pile that makes me even more sure I will never buy that joystick (+HOTAS). Maybe if the prices here are like the US prices, then *MAYBE*

btw: doesn't it void the warranty when opening your cougar? I really don't hope so for your sake

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 05:48 PM
The problem is not with the IL2 patch.

I agree to a certain extent Fressshness. It's a great Joystick, just a bit finniky electrical wise. It's partially my fault as well for not unplugging my throttle when flashing the bios.

They'd never know that I opened it anyways. Don't mind making it a bit of a project since it's such a great joystick, but it's a bit of a pain I'll admit.

lil'

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 05:52 PM
If I ever got another Cougar. The first thing i'd do is dump the cheap pots, and put in optical sensors

Buzz_25th
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------47|FC=-
<center>
http://www.vfa25.com/images/imglib/bigboys.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 08:28 PM
BuzzU, which mod is that? Uber, or Hall sensor?

lil'

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 08:51 PM
freshness -cougar is 369 euro from http://www.simw.com not 500
yes some people have had problems.however i think the level of support and ideas at http://cougar.frugalsworld.com is great- . this is one of the reasons i bought one and i'm a very happy owner

RichardI
08-14-2003, 09:13 PM
I have a Cougar and I LOVE it!

No, I have not seen the issue of which you speak.

Is your Cougar properly calibrated?

Do this - start Foxy and select the view where you see all those great buttons and rotaries. Move the throttle all the way forward and leave it there for 3 full seconds. Then move it all the way back and leave it there for 3 full seconds. Then return it to centre and try moving it full one way or the other. You should see a difference.

Then go fly and try it. I have had zero problems with mine....

Rich /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<Center>http://www.ghosts.com/images/postimages/THUNDERBOLT.jpg <Center>I've got 140 109's cornered over Berlin!