PDA

View Full Version : how to "listen" on hydrophone

vois2
04-08-2005, 10:42 AM
I've been playing the game at around 70% realism, and now I would like to "Turn Off Updates" on the map. I'm playing v1.2 patch and I have some experienced, decorated sonar operators. My question is -- when I venture out for the first time without map updates -- what will by my best method to locate possible targets? I have repeatedly (even after v1.2 patch) tried to get the hydrophone working efficiently, but maybe I just don't know how to use it. When I manually rotate it, the indicator stops (seemingly to make a suggestion?) and I listen hard, but nine times out of ten I don't notice a discernable sound. (While submerged, all stop.) In fact, only ONCE in about three hundred such occasions have I actually heard the screws of a ship, and she was (as it turns out) only about 300m away in the fog.

So, when I am next on patrol:
(1) How often would you suggest I submerge & stop for a sonar spin?
(2) When the hydrophone wheel stops itself, how can I "hone in" to discern sounds? (I have tried volume many times.)

Thanks in advance.

vois2
04-08-2005, 10:42 AM
I've been playing the game at around 70% realism, and now I would like to "Turn Off Updates" on the map. I'm playing v1.2 patch and I have some experienced, decorated sonar operators. My question is -- when I venture out for the first time without map updates -- what will by my best method to locate possible targets? I have repeatedly (even after v1.2 patch) tried to get the hydrophone working efficiently, but maybe I just don't know how to use it. When I manually rotate it, the indicator stops (seemingly to make a suggestion?) and I listen hard, but nine times out of ten I don't notice a discernable sound. (While submerged, all stop.) In fact, only ONCE in about three hundred such occasions have I actually heard the screws of a ship, and she was (as it turns out) only about 300m away in the fog.

So, when I am next on patrol:
(1) How often would you suggest I submerge & stop for a sonar spin?
(2) When the hydrophone wheel stops itself, how can I "hone in" to discern sounds? (I have tried volume many times.)

Thanks in advance.

alanschu
04-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I let the sonar guy detect any contacts whenever I dip down....if he hears any (and the weather is horrible), then I'll stay down and try listening.

Use the sonar guy as a guide (put him on track nearest contact) so that you can get used to the sound you need to listen for.

Jose.MaC
04-08-2005, 11:52 AM
If the sonar receives any sound, it will appear in the notepad, so is not so difficult.

The point is to identify what kind of ship is. And to keep it centered, since doing 1 degree sweeps is not easy.

VonGeezer
04-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Actually I could swear I can hear ships long before they show up in the notepad or even the map. I turn up the sonar volume, dive and then stop the engine. Scan manually...If I hear any telltale engine pulsing(no matter how faint), I note the direction, bring up the map and try to guess the odds that it is heading in my general direction. I'll even sit there and go to 1024 time-compression for a few seconds to see if I can hear it get louder or see what direction it is going. If it gets a little louder without changing directions at all, you know it's coming your way.

Also VERY important is that you must click on the right-hand side of that "ambient volume" knob at the bottom-right of the scan-wheel. If you're not sure, turn the engine to slow and listen, with the volume up your engine will blow your ears off (you'll know it when you hear it), then go to all-stop again and you'll hear things from miles away. I think by default it is set to low, making it quite useless for your purpose.

I usually make sure I'm sitting at the sonar station with the deisels running before I dive because that "dial" is weird and I don't trust it too much. You'll miss most possible contacts if you only 'think' you're at high volume.