PDA

View Full Version : V-speeds?

Frankthetank36
10-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Want to know if there's a place to find the v-speeds of all the planes, tried searching and couldn't find anything at all. I'd like to at least know best climb speeds and glide speeds (if my engine falls apart) since they would probably be pretty useful in combat.

na85
10-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Well you can get best climb speed, corner speed, and a few others from il2 compare.

Other than that, I would suggest looking in the Pilot's Operating Handbook (POH) which can be found via google.

Frankthetank36
10-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks alot, didn't know they still had POHs for old WWII planes.

na85
10-05-2009, 10:37 PM
They do, but sometimes they're hard to find. I used to have a bookmark with a whole bunch of them.

It was some russian site, but it had POHs for most of the US fighters, the spit, the fw190A6 and A8, bf109G6 and K4, La5, all the yaks, and a few others.

Unfortunately I lost all my bookmarks during a reformat (forgot to save them)

JtD
10-06-2009, 12:18 AM
It's probably this site (http://www.airwar.ru/aww2.html) you had bookmarked.

na85
10-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Yep, that's the one. Thanks JtD!

AndyJWest
10-06-2009, 06:29 AM
I'm fairly sure that the term 'V-Speeds' postdates WW2, so you won't find them listed as such. IL-2 Compare seems to give reasonable best-climb speeds, though tactical and engine-cooling considerations may make slightly higher speeds more sensible. There was a recent thread on best-glide speeds, but theoretically this should be close to best-climb speed. VNE is another matter (see for example the recent P-38 thread), but without either a reliable value for the real aircraft (look in the sim cockpit for a warning notice - some have them) you can only go by intuition - if you get high-speed buffeting, slow down! IL_2 Compare lists VNE, but how these figures were arrived at I don't know.