PDA

View Full Version : Multiple throttle assignment.

Philipscdrw
05-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Hi all

I have a small suggestion that will greatly improve Il-2 for many users. Can the individual engines have their own throttle and pitch sliders, and individual starting, feathering, and fire extinguisher controls? And additionally, the ability to assign a throttle control to the left or right engines. This will make control of the engines much easier for people with multiple throttles.

What do you think?

MEGILE
05-24-2005, 09:16 AM
It is a good idea indeed. It has been asked for many times before, but this makes it no less important. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
Last week I discovered for the first time that radiators can be set independantly of eachother on Twin engined planes. Probably old news for most... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

taisto_s
05-24-2005, 11:29 AM
I´ve been thinking about a throttle quadrant for myself, but am holding back because il2 doesnt support it fully.

I support this wish, and it might be really nice with the new flight model.

Philipscdrw
05-24-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm hoping this has been added with the new flight model anyway...

I fly with a CHPro USB yoke, which has 3 throttle levers (which I use for throttle, pitch, and wheel brakes) but I fly the P-38 a lot, and it would be a major advantage to have immediate control of the engines. Also, I could use the toggle switches for ignition, so when someone sets fire to an engine, I could shut the throttle, push the switch down to turn off ignition, and up to feather - much faster! Right now, I have to juggle a lot of function keys!

Many people here also play Flight Simulator, and have a lot of throttles, they would all benefit too!

taisto_s
05-26-2005, 12:05 PM
most of the il2 flyers don´t seem to care for important things like this. Maybe they prefer single engined aircraft or something. But there are a lot of people like me who really enjoys rides like B25 and bf110. And to get the full immersion they require a nice quadrant system.

These discussions usually stay short and disappear into the depths of ubi hard drives.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

a shame.

Philipscdrw
05-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Not many people fly multi-engined planes, and not many people have more than one throttle - that's why there is little interest! But hopefully this change would only require a little bit of work, and then it has big payoffs for this small number of people!

taisto_s
05-26-2005, 12:45 PM
"perfect" looking waves seem to be much more important than actual modeling of aircraft controls.. ??

Willey
05-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Bump for more axes. We need:

Mixture!
Turbocharger Wastegate (for P-47)
Toebrake L+R
Throttle 1-4+L+R
Prop 1-4+L+R
Mix 1-4+L+R
Radiator +1-4+L+R

taisto_s
05-27-2005, 01:00 PM
my first bump
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

BlakJakOfSpades
05-27-2005, 06:25 PM
typical "this feature got in, this one is much more important" and you may be right but the fact is if it was so easy to do they would have done it, as the old saying goes "in BoB, be sure"

Philipscdrw
05-27-2005, 10:11 PM
I disagree, it's highly possible this was deemed low priority, or simply overlooked. I doubt many people are using a multi-throttle setup!

In addition to the axes (axi?) that Willey mentions, we also desire:

Feather 1-4
Ignition 1-4
Extinguisher 1-4
Radiator 1-4 (buttons as well as axes)
Mixture 1-4

and perhaps magnetos 1-4? But I don't know if they ever get used.

Then I'll buy the CHPro throttle quadrant.

F16_Abe
05-28-2005, 05:02 AM
Multi throttle action for the CH stuff is possible but requires a lot of scripting. Multi prop pitch is also possible but the game has a severe bug that makes pitch levers jump around wild. The rest of your list should be fairly simple to achive.

IL2 will never get real multi engine control, I am quoting Oleg himself:
"We don't plan to rework current system in this sim."

This is the answer I got after pointing out the prop-pitch bug. The answer was also tagged by "[SPAM 08.63]" which pissed me off. I was only trying to help by pointing out a bug in a polite manner.

If you are a CH-scripting guru and are looking for an example on how to work around the "current system", look here:
http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1270

If you take your time to make this work on your system, you will never regret it. Flying the TB3 among other planes suddenly becomes very pleasant! The TB3 might not get agile, but totally gone are the flying shed feeling! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

B.r,
Abe

Philipscdrw
05-28-2005, 05:57 AM
Thanks, I did not know that this was possible! I have the CHPro USB yoke, and CHPro gameport pedals - is it possible for me to create a profile that will have independant throttles?

F16_Abe
05-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Yes it is possible but takes good understanding of how the script language of the controlmanager works.

It is pretty forward to make a basic script that works when moving just one throttle at a time, but if you want a more realistic script that makes it possible to move 2 ore more throttles simultaneosly makes it much harder, but not impossible. I have done it and use my multi throttle script all the time. It actually works really good for the (1 and) 2 engined planes.

It becomes a tad bit slow for the 4 engines but hey, it is definitely worth it! The rollrate of the TB3 is at least doubled and there are certain moves that is totally impossible with just one throttle. Further it is of course possible to fly the TB3 with the script in the 2-engine mode, and then it is really good. Mostly you need control only for all the engines of the left or of the right sides anyway.

As I stated in my previous post, smooth prop pitch management on multi engined aircrafts is not possible due to the bug in the game I mentioned.

/Abe

taisto_s
05-29-2005, 04:03 PM
doing a script that supports all engines sounds really good, but what would be cooler to have is a pure il2 software support to assign throttle/mixture/prop.pitch/radiator/toebrakes..and.. to an axis.

Philipscdrw
05-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes, I am hoping for pure software support for this...

Abe, how do the CHPro scripts work? Does it preface the left throttle movement information with 'Select Left Engines'? (so, the driver detects that you've moved the left throttle lever to 60%, so sends the command "Select Left Engines", "Throttle 60%".)

That's an ingenious idea, but I really hope for the easy-to-use option to assign control axis to individual engine controls in exactly the same way that we currently assign control axis...

F16_Abe
05-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Yes and it also combines throttle movement when so is possible in order to get smooth transitions when several throttles are moved at the same time.

This is however no new topic and Oleg has been quite clear about it in the past. There will be no rework of the current system in this sim, as I quoted in my earlier post. I still have a faint hope that it will get fixed in version 4.0, but I do not really believe it.

My script takes us there except from the stupid prop-pitch bug, but most if not all users will find it to cumbersome to adjust for their needs. So I am propably one of the few that fly the multi engine planes as they should be flewn, and it really is quite a difference...

However I do agree with you and most other IL2-simmers that fly two- or four- engined planes that a proper handling of multiple engine controls really is necessary in the game. I can not understand the reason for including all these beutiful and nice 2-engined planes without fixing a proper throttle control. I did it with external software, so it can not be too hard to do it within the code of the sim.

Philipscdrw
05-30-2005, 02:33 AM
Thanks very much Abe, I'll have a closer look at this technique later! Now I'm going to fly with cockpit controls mechanically linked to the flying surfaces... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif