PDA

View Full Version : I found an excellent site detailing all bomber command raids from 1939-1940

Xiolablu3
08-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Example from August 1944

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/aug44.html

The whole diary :

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/diary.html

Details every nights raid. It seems Bomber command raided almost every single day thru 1942-1945

There is an entry nearly every day in 1944 for example.

example

5 September 1944
348 aircraft - 313 Lancasters, 30 Mosquitos, 5 Stirlings - Nos 1, 3 and 8 Groups carried out the first of a series of heavy raids on the German positions around Le Havre which were still holding out after being bypassed by the Allied advance. This was an accurate raid in good visibility. No aircraft lost.

60 Lancasters and 6 Mosquitos of No 5 Group bombed gun positions outside Brest, whose garrison was also still holding out. No aircraft lost.

Thats a LOT of planes.

VF51_Flatspin
08-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Wow! What a find!!

faustnik
08-29-2006, 03:16 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Interesting site!

Xiolablu3
08-29-2006, 03:38 PM
The Sheer amount of sortie on some days is incredible :-

25/26 August 1944

412 Lancasters of Nos 1, 3, 6 and 8 Groups attacked the Opel motor factory at Rüsselsreim. 15 Lancasters were lost, 3.6 per cent of the force. The Pathfinder marking was accurate and the raid was successfully completed in 10 minutes. An official German report. says that the forge and the gearbox assembly departments were put out of action for several weeks, but 90 per cent of the machine tools in other departments escaped damage. The assembly line and part of the pressworks were able to recommence work 2 days later and lorry assembly was unaffected because of considerable stocks of ready-made parts.

190 Lancasters and 6 Mosquitos of No 5 Group to Darmstadt which had not been seriously attacked by Bomber Command before. 7 Lancasters lost. This 'No 5 Group method' raid was a failure. The Master Bomber had to return early; his 2 deputies were shot down; the flares were dropped too far west and the low-level Mosquito marker aircraft could not locate the target. 95 buildings were hit and 8 people were killed by the scattered bombs which did hit Darmstadt. 33 of the Lancasters bombed other targets, including at least 13 aircraft which joined in the successful raid on nearby Rüsselsheim.

334 aircraft - 284 Halifaxes, 32 Lancasters, 18 Mosquitos - of Nos 4, 6 and 8 Groups attacked 8 coastal battery positions near Brest. Most of the bombing was accurate. 1 Halifax and 1 Lancaster lost.

Support and 2 Mosquitos in preliminary reconnaissance of targets, 182 training aircraft on a diversionary sweep over the North Sea, 36 Mosquitos to Berlin and 22 to five other targets, 47 RCM sorties, 68 Mosquito patrols, 6 Halifaxes minelaying off La Pallice, 6 aircraft on Resistance operations. This was the first occasion on which No 100 Group dispatched more than 100 aircraft. 1 RCM Fortress lost.

Total effort for the night: 1,311 sorties, 25 aircraft (1.9 per cent) lost and 8 more aircraft crashed in England, including 3 OTU Wellingtons from the diversionary sweep. The total effort for this night was a new record for Bomber Command, exceeding by exactly 100 the number of aircraft dispatched on 5/6 June, the eve of D-Day.

stanford-ukded
08-29-2006, 03:50 PM
That site is the nuts:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/gestapo.html

tigertalon
08-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Wow great find! Thnx for sharing m8!

p1ngu666
08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
yeah, they where a busy lot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

the sortie numbers per day are important, but also imo more worthy of note is the sustained effort..

standford, i have some footage of that raid, i think, somewhere http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

MM-Zorin
08-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Just checked the records for the stats about my hometown. They carried out 7 400+ plane raids on Düsseldorf. Biggest was 992 bomber.

And of course, they raided Düsseldorf nearly every night from mid 1942 on with Mosquitos.

So I was dissapointed I couldn't figure out how many people they killed in total... I'll never understand how someone could live with the burden of having killed thousands of people.

Bandit.426Cdn
08-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by MM-Zorin:
Just checked the records for the stats about my hometown. They carried out 7 400+ plane raids on Düsseldorf. Biggest was 992 bomber.

And of course, they raided Düsseldorf nearly every night from mid 1942 on with Mosquitos.

So I was dissapointed I couldn't figure out how many people they killed in total... I'll never understand how someone could live with the burden of having killed thousands of people.

Ask Hitler.

MM-Zorin
08-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Bandit.426Cdn:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MM-Zorin:

Ask Hitler. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He killed himself, but sure not because he felt guilty, so what is your point?

Xiolablu3
08-30-2006, 12:14 AM

I think we all acknowledge that war is a terrible thing Zorin, but you have to understand that Germany was doing much worse at that time.

Think of the train loads of Jews being carted off to be killed. Have you seen the pictures of the piles of hair/gold teeth/etc waiting to be used like animal products?

The idea was to finish Germany as quick as possible, I am betting after the bomber crews saw these pictures/knew what was happening that they didnt think too much about the 'poor Germans' just to get it over as soon as possible.

I hope this thread doesnt turn into a 'horrors of war' thread. Germany started the war, they 'sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind'

Bandit.426Cdn
08-30-2006, 05:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bandit.426Cdn:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MM-Zorin:

Ask Hitler. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He killed himself, but sure not because he felt guilty, so what is your point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Xiolablu3 covered my point nicely. Innocents die in war, and war is Hell. Soldiers and airmen are simply the tools of war, just like a Lancaster bomber. They have no reason to feel guilt. Hitler on the other hand, struck the match, and Düsseldorf and Coventry burned as a result.

As i said, ask Hitler, or Tojo. The airmen have no need to feel guilty about your hometown.

MM-Zorin
08-30-2006, 05:20 AM
I don't want to turn this thread into anything Xiola, trust me.

But when I think of the raids on Hmaburg (40,000+ civilians killed in one night) and Dresden (50,000+ killed in one night) I'm on the edge to call them war crimes aswell. Both citys were known to be full of refugees and the RAF didn't care one bit about it. How was that again, beat a defenceless to death who is already lying on the floor?

And german bomber pilots didn't kill the jews, that is like comparing apples and oranges.

Germany started the war, they 'sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind'

You didn't study history like I did, did you? Should be rather: The peace treaty of Versailles started the war, the "winners" 'sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind'. To simplify it as you did.

Bandit.426Cdn
08-30-2006, 05:28 AM
I don't want to turn this thread into anything Xiola, trust me.

But when I think of the raids on Hmaburg (40,000+ civilians killed in one night) and Dresden (50,000+ killed in one night) I'm on the edge to call them war crimes aswell. Both citys were known to be full of refugees and the RAF didn't care one bit about it. How was that again, beat a defenceless to death who is already lying on the floor?

And german bomber pilots didn't kill the jews, that is like comparing apples and oranges.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Germany started the war, they 'sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind'

You didn't study history like I did, did you? Should be rather: The peace treaty of Versailles started the war, the "winners" 'sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind'. To simplify it as you did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More revisionist history bull****. Those who don't learn from the past, are doomed to repeat it. The Versailles treaty didn't Goose-step into Poland singing the Horst Wessel song, dividing the spoils up with the Russians. German troops under Hitler's orders did. Czechosovakia - remember that one also, along with Chamberlain's misguided "peace in our time" treaty from Munich?

Revisionism is teh suck.

airjunkie
08-30-2006, 05:32 AM
Hey nice find. Give this persom a well round of applause. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

HuninMunin
08-30-2006, 05:32 AM
To add to this point ( I however have no intention in "rating" any cruelty that happened ) one could say that the RAF didn't know anything about the genocide at the time.
So it's not very true to reality to defend the bombing raids with the counter point of german crimes.
Even the Blitz on London was a reaction to english bombing raids on Berlin and was never as extended as the strategic bombardments of the Allies in the following years.
I think what upsets Zorin and me (as Germans) is not that we justifie anything that happened from our side during the war, but the attidude that the former Allies apply to this issue.
It is talked alot about those crimes commited by the Wehrmacht and the following SS, but at the same time we have to read statements like "From Hitler youth to Paparazzi" and no reflection about the firebombings and such.
It is just so one sided and unjust how some people ( I don't base my opinion about the British on behalf of the Sun, just to make clear)
look at the war and start an uproar because a rumor said that the Queen might apologize for the bombing raid on Dresden.

Xiolablu3
08-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Guys, dont worry, I can see both sides.

I posted here once about the casualties in Dresden.

The whole German bombing camapign thru WW2 killed around 40,000 British civilians.

The Allies killed 50,000 in one raid on Dresden.

Yes the figures are awful, and Hitler wasnt partticularly terrible to the British. But he WAS terrible to many other races/nations thru Europe. He didnt care one bit about the Russian civilians of course, calling them 'untermension' (spelling?) and slaughtering them, burning their homes etc.

Hard to call Bomber Command 'cruel' after you see what the Germans did on the RUssian front.

I didnt mean to stir up any feelings with this post, just thought some would find it interesting about ceretain raids and stuff.

Both sides did terrible things, but the Versaille treaty didnt make Germany storm into Czech country or Poland.

In fact Britain agreed when Germany took back their old lands from the Versaille treaty and didnt lift a fingure. They also sacrificed the Czechs, to appease Hitler. (Very bad decision)

Had Hitler simply wanted the lands back that were took from the Germans years ago, no WW2 would have happened, it was becasue Hitler wanted more that Britian and France went to war.

They warned Hitler not to walk into Poland, but he still did.

HuninMunin
08-30-2006, 06:16 AM
I see we are one the same page.
War is cruel.
It just is.

Beaufort-RAF
08-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

The whole German bombing camapign thru WW2 killed around 40,000 British civilians.

That's just the Blitz, it was sixty odd thousand for the whole war.

StG2_Schlachter
08-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Well, it was around half a million on the German side.

Bandit.426Cdn
08-30-2006, 11:03 AM
And around 6,000,000 on the jewish side, and about 12,000,000 on the russian side.

Are those the Allied airmans fault too?

What is the point exactly? War has never been a game of Fairsy Squaresy.

Bandit.426Cdn
08-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Let me tell you why i'm getting irritated with the way the thread is going.

All sides targetted civilians in one way or another. No side was truly innocent of the strictist definition of 'war crimes', or waging war against the populance.

The objective of war, is to beat the ever living **** out of the other side by any and all means, to achieve the objectives, and victory over the enemy that you wish to achieve. That means civilian population centers where war production goes on, transportation hubs, or even historical cities where not much goes on - but it's the enemies territory.

My Grandma was a war worker in London, at the height of the Blitz. She'd moved to London from Newfoundland, and worked in a munitions factory in the vicinity of the Docks. One early morning after her shift, she returned back to her flat, or the smoking hole remains of it. As a memory of this time, she brought her half-charred suitcase back home to Canada. As a teenager in the 1980's, i remember seeing it in her basement, and asking her about it. She didn't have much to say about it, except that her 2 flatmates perished in the bombing.

She wasn't bitter about what happened close to 40 years ago. She knew the risks of the time, she dealt with the possibility of being a casualty, and she watched people she knew, being buried. It was war.