PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote from the battle of Okinawa

ThreeCrow
02-02-2005, 01:08 PM
I wish that I had the appropriate Biblical reference for this. Perhaps someone here could flesh out what I remember, so dimly, having read.

After many grueling days of the battle of Okinawa and the incessant Kamikazi attacks, there was a message recieved from flagship to the tired captains of all vessels. The message was brief and contained only the name of a book, chapter and verse of the bible.

One captain, figuring it was a reference to an uplifting verse he could share with the crew, looked it up. The verse was:

"Jesus Christ. The same yesterday, today and tomorrow."

ThreeCrow
02-02-2005, 01:08 PM
I wish that I had the appropriate Biblical reference for this. Perhaps someone here could flesh out what I remember, so dimly, having read.

After many grueling days of the battle of Okinawa and the incessant Kamikazi attacks, there was a message recieved from flagship to the tired captains of all vessels. The message was brief and contained only the name of a book, chapter and verse of the bible.

One captain, figuring it was a reference to an uplifting verse he could share with the crew, looked it up. The verse was:

"Jesus Christ. The same yesterday, today and tomorrow."

Bierhund
02-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Try Hebrews 13:8, in particular from the King James version. Found through Google. Didn't find any reference to the WWII application you mention though.

LawDog007
02-02-2005, 02:27 PM
............it must be interpretid(*SP),

"Same S**T, differnt day"

Ya, I like that one better http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

DarkCanuck420
02-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I thought it was: "the devine cant fly"

================================================

horseback
02-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Actually, the quotation was "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever."

But yes, it was at Okinawa, and the quote was from Hebrews (I don't have my KJV here with me at work). Both of my father's older brothers were present on ships in that campaign, and confirmed the tale.

cheers

horseback