PDA

View Full Version : RUB worth it before 1.43

pmckelvy
07-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Just a quick one for one of you realists. I have RUB 1.41 (didn't realise which version I was running 'till this weekend) and love it. I'm about to pull in off patrol and was just wondering your opinions. Is there a significant diference between RUB 1.41 and RUB 1.42? Is it worth the time off the conn to upgrade or just wait for the next update which should be soon? Thanks in advance and see you in Willhelmshaven.

Mac out

Yen Lo
07-25-2005, 03:44 PM
I was wondering what exactly does that do RUB? Does it just make things alot harder, or does it give alot of goodies thanks.

blue_76
07-25-2005, 03:50 PM
i would just wait, the next one will looks to have many more features, don't know the difference between 1.41 and 1.42, i'd think they're some minor fixes or features added. on information about the RUB addon you can go to beery's web site.

http://www.beerymod.com/sh3.htm

pmckelvy
07-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Okay, thanks Blue. Yen, depends if you like a little more challenge in the game or not. Real Uboat does quite a few things. It cuts the traffic down quite a bit for one. I'm not sure if this is exactly accurate or not (as I wasn't on a uboat in WWII) but it does make contacts sweeter and more important. Also doesn't seem that you shoot down planes as easy. Fatigue is handled differently as well. This took a bit of getting used to but after the first couple of patrols I'm a believer. You still do have to manage your crew just not every few minutes. And if you're smart about it not too often at all.

One warning is if you love your deck gun and think that is the funnest part of the game then you probably want to steer clear. You are not going to sink many ships with it as reload time is very long. You need to think long and hard about using it first. Over all I'd say it's a great great mod. Tonnage may be down, was for me anyway, but it makes every victory that much sweeter. And if you play dead is dead you really need to plan every attack out well.

Mac out

Also, I don't want to make it sound like there is no traffic at all, there is still plenty of ships out there, you just have to look a bit more and be patient.

Mr._Snavely
07-25-2005, 04:48 PM
I was wondering what exactly does that do RUB? Does it just make things alot harder, or does it give alot of goodies thanks.
UNQUOTE

Actually RUB makes it much more realistic.
So if you want to sink 1/20 of the entire allied naval forces then do not install RUB.

If you want the game more realistic - install RUB.

After installing RUB 1.42 I decided to discontinue my carrer, and start a new one.

I think RUB is ++fine.

Bubblehead1948
07-25-2005, 05:48 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Its also possible to come up with a moified RUB should you wish to. If you dont prefer the fatigue setup or the deckgun reload rate, they can be modified in the basic.cfg file. There is also a seperate mod which allows modification of deckgun reload rate without rowing through the config file. There is yet anothe nice mod which colors/darkens the water in accordance with the time of day, rather than just render it ink black. Generally, these items can be applied after RUB has been applied to simply tweak the portion of RUB you may not prefer. It seems possible to come up with a rather satisfactory compromise no matter what your preferences.

vois2
07-25-2005, 06:32 PM
pmckelvy wrote: I have RUB 1.41 ... Is there a significant difference between RUB 1.41 and RUB 1.42? Is it worth the time off the conn to upgrade or just wait for the next update (1.43) which should be soon?

To answer your question regarding the difference between 1.41 and 1.42 ... when Beery released 1.41 on 28 June, it did not include a few nice mods which just happened to appear on the scene around 27 June. (Thus, they missed inclusion into 1.41 .) These mods improved the game play and clarity enough that Beery decided to put out 1.42 with these enhancements:

1. New version of bearing assistance mod with more distinctive lines.
2. 'Hollywood' damage model which CCIP configured for RUb.
3. Storm sinking fx by CCIP (stops little ships from sinking in storms).

I never played 1.41, but there were complaints about the clarity of (I believe) the own-sub icon on the F6 plotting map, and maybe some other plotting map issues, too.

With regard to 1.43 ... I am pretty amazed at the list of mods which are included in the yet-to-be-released 1.43 . I would wait just a few more days for it, were I you.

pmckelvy
07-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys I'll just wait a few. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything big. On this patrol so far I've dropped a T2 and am making an attack run on another convoy as we speak. Also a hurricane suprised me in heavy fog in mid 40! Dmaged my fo'csle a bit no big deal but...uh oh. Better watch the TC in fog from now on. Thought it was too early to be paranoid but guess not.

On a side note the interior ambience mod is nice if not a bit too subtle. I can barely hear anything except the pages turning from the QM. (why is he switching charts so much anyway we're doing 6 knots) Just kidding, decent mod though. Still looking for that spectacular dive and or crash dive sequence to top off an almost perfect game. Being a 34 year old ADD sufferer (LOL) I've never seen a game that has kept me captivated for so long.

Mac Out.

Yen Lo
07-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Since Iam a kill ***** I'll probably steer clear of it, tho it sounds great. Thanks for all the advice.