PDA

View Full Version : Best Eastern front German fighter campaign?

bubba3884
01-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Bit of a late comer, but I think I'm ready to tackle a long, immersive eastern front campaign (Dgen). What's the best one in terms of variety/exciting missions, good maps, etc. Looking at German Fighter North, Central or South (UP2.01 & Enjoyr patched) as well as something called Disasters on the Frontiers? Any opinions?

mortoma
01-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I like the German south one a bit more for the that side of the conflict. The central is OK too but the north gives you long distances to fly at times but it's OK I guess. They are all pretty close in terms of most things. But the south around the Black Sea seems to be more fun but that's my own preference. Why not try them all at the same time? There's no real limit to how many campaigns you can run at once. In some cases you might have to start another pilot but no big deal there.

DKoor
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
South is the best for me, most missions well over 300.
Variety of maps, planes.

Treetop64
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Unquestionably, Amagi's "Disater on the Frontiers" series , aka "Drang Nach Osten" that comes with EnjoyR's DGen campaigns. EnjoyR v5.2 comes with more campaigns than you could finish, but the Drang Nach Osten series are far and away my farvorite Luftie eastern front missions. You can play it for either the Germans or Soviets.

You can download it here (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1972).

The chronology of Drang Nach Osten historically follows that of Stab JG-51 "Molders", and that is the default squad, but of course you can choose any geschwader to fly for. JG-51 was primarily a central front force, but there were support missions flown in the Crimea and Kuban as well, and those missions are included.

The things that stands out in Disater on the Frontiers is the sheer amount of ground objects populating the maps. There's vehicle traffic all over the map, with convoys, trains, and ships that actually go somewhere instead of stopping in the middle of nowhere halfway through the mission. Virtually every city, town, and village you fly over has parked vehicles in it. There are troop concentrations and artillery stations at strategic locations throughout the map. Note, however, that you'll need the appropriate entries in the [DGen] section of your conf.ini in order to get the best out of these features. I use the following:

[DGen]
CampaignMissions=Hard
MaxFLAK=100
RandomFlights=5
AirIntensity=High
GroundIntensity=High
OperationVictory=3000
OperationDefeat=-3000
WarVictory=30000
WarDefeat=-30000
SlowFire=1.0
HistoricalRanks=1
PromotionRate=0.5
UseParkedPlanes=1
NoBadWeather=0

Also, a lot of attention went into historical accuracy in the missions. Not only do you see the correct plane types at the right times and locations, but the tempo and intensity of operations match that of real events. The very first part of Barbarossa is a bit slow for Luftie pilots since most of the Soviet air resistance was eliminated in the first few hours of the campaign, and the few that do come up are easy meat. In some early missions you may not even encounter any enemy flights. Late in the campaign, though, during Bagration you'll have your hands full as you'll be vastly outnumbered! The tempo of operations intensify and slow down at the historically appropriate times.

I can't praise Disater on the Frontiers enough. It gets my vote as one of the best ever Eastern Front DGen campaigns for IL-2.

WTE_Galway
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
If you want variety also consider the JABO campaigns. They have a good mix of fighter and strafing/bombing. They can actually be more fun than the straight fighter ones.

Treetop64
01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Yup. Things get more interesting in Jabo missions. You certainly have more to think about than you would in pure fighter missions.

You're in a fighter, but you're carrying bombs. You're low, slow, and heavy. You have to bomb specific ground targets, but you may have to turn into a fighter in an instant, and from a significant energy disadvantage.

The Jabo missions in Disasters on the Frontiers were some of the most enjoyable.

bubba3884
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Wow! thanks for the input. It sounds just what I'm looking for. I finally have a good system that can run it the way it's supposed to. Question . . . are the JABO missions all bombing/strafing or are there pure fighter missions mixed in? also, are there any strafing missions in the fighter campaign, or is it all air to air?

mortoma
01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by bubba3884:
Wow! thanks for the input. It sounds just what I'm looking for. I finally have a good system that can run it the way it's supposed to. Question . . . are the JABO missions all bombing/strafing or are there pure fighter missions mixed in? also, are there any strafing missions in the fighter campaign, or is it all air to air? Whether or not you get Jabo missions depends on the aircraft. If the plane is not a pure fighter and is able to carry bombs, you will get some Jabo missions. There are some fighters in the game that have no weapons other than the MGs and cannons, you avoid those if you like Jabo. For example, pick the 109-E4B if you want to bomb a few things in an early 109 campaign. The regular 109-E4 can't carry bombs.

gothkrieger
01-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Drang Nach Osten mission pack seems like it needs a bunch of mods as well to run, Also it seems to be for 4.09 & I updated to 4.10. So does this mean that I canít play this unless I reload IL2 and patch to 4.09, then seek out and install all the mods, Yes?

Treetop64
01-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by gothkrieger:
Drang Nach Osten mission pack seems like it needs a bunch of mods as well to run, Also it seems to be for 4.09 & I updated to 4.10. So does this mean that I canít play this unless I reload IL2 and patch to 4.09, then seek out and install all the mods, Yes?

No. DNO doesn't require mods, and you can run it on v4.10. I have an unmodded 4.10 installation and I'm running it.

I forgot to mention earlier: As long as you don't have any other payware mission packs installed, like the Ostfront or Battle Over Europe payware mission packs, then you're OK. If you do have these mission packs then you'll need to install a different version of EnjoyR that's compatible with them. Those are also available at Mission 4 Today. If you have no other payware mission packs installed, then use the EnjoyR version linked in my earlier post.

These details are explained in the EnjoyR's readme details shown on the download screens at Mission 4 Today.

gothkrieger
01-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Where exactly should I un-zip the mission pack?

gothkrieger
01-19-2011, 11:14 PM
OK, I think its the DGen folder, Yes?

Treetop64
01-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by gothkrieger:
OK, I think its the DGen folder, Yes?

First, before doing anything you should back up your DGen folder.

There should be a auto installation wizard. There is no need to manually install anything. Unzip everything to a temporary folder, then run the installation wizard.

There should also be a sequence of installers for extra skins. They're not required, but it is highly recommended you install them.

Just follow the instructions that come with the download, which are included in two readme files.

gothkrieger
01-20-2011, 01:10 AM
why do you recommend the extra skins, is it an immersion thing? Can I reverse everything by simply restoring the DGen folder contents?

relcox
01-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Oct '43 in my Disaster on the Frontiers campaign, really good fun and very challenging. Did not know about that conf ini stuff, will change that for when I play Drang nach osten (sp?).

Anyway, quick question as I saw it referred to in the op. Can I install UP2.01 over the Enjoyr Patch? I have it as 5.2 over BoE Ostfront and 4.09m.