PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 6800gt

Schabuach
07-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi guys,

today i bought a geforce 6800gt ddr3 256mb and im testing it, but i have a little problem.
I tested Americas army ( all settings Highest),Rome total war and PF at the moment. Havent problems with Americas and Rome( works excellent) but PF makes my "SAI"(uninterruptible power supply) to beep, always.....
I have p4 3.2 1500 ram ddr 400 geforce6800 and a power supply of 450W. Minimun requirements for geforce = power supply 300W or higher.

I need to buy another power supply????
pls help me and sorry for my english, i must learn it :P

StellarRat
07-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Your SAI (UPS) will need to be replaced with a bigger model. The computer is fine and card are fine. They are just drawing a little too much power from the SAI.

ZappaTime
07-19-2005, 12:17 PM
I find it hard to believe that a 450 watt power supply can't handle a 6800Gt in that build of PC.

I survive quite happily with my BFG 6800GT o/c in a similar setup with a 350 watt p/s that came with my Antec case.

It's odd it beeps on PF - are you sure its your p/s that's beeping and not your motherboard or the card getting too hot. PF does stretch the card (and its users - if you like trying nvidia drivers on a regular basis!)

How many beeps do you get, or is it constant?Do UPS power supplies have more stingent operating limits before they complain?

VW-IceFire
07-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ZappaTime:
I find it hard to believe that a 450 watt power supply can't handle a 6800Gt in that build of PC.

I survive quite happily with my BFG 6800GT o/c in a similar setup with a 350 watt p/s that came with my Antec case.

It's odd it beeps on PF - are you sure its your p/s that's beeping and not your motherboard or the card getting too hot. PF does stretch the card (and its users - if you like trying nvidia drivers on a regular basis!)

How many beeps do you get, or is it constant?Do UPS power supplies have more stingent operating limits before they complain?
Yes but the Antec PSU's outperform many of the other cheaper brands even when they have a lower rated output. Antec is a very good brand...a few others...but lots of **** on the market.

My 330W Antec TruPower is rated better than contemporary 400W supplies by reviewers. Go figure.

Beuf_Ninja
07-19-2005, 02:27 PM
I had the same problem whith my "450w" psu when i bought my 5900xt. The problem is that the stated power rating is the output acheived at room temp not at the normal operating temp of 40-50c!
You could either buy a nice expensive psu which will last for years or buy buy a "cheap and nasty" 600w which will run enough watts for a couple of years.

Schabuach
07-19-2005, 08:07 PM
The beep is from SAI, im sure. Only beep when im playing PF, americas, desktop, etc... works excellent. The SAI =400VA/240W.
First ill try other power supply from a friend.
Thanks for the answers :P

Feathered_IV
07-20-2005, 03:29 AM
I had to go up to 550w.....Happy with it now though. Good luck!