PDA

View Full Version : Not Reading The CD

uruclay
11-22-2003, 08:40 PM
I just finished installing the game, but when I try to play Uru, it says that it cannot read the cd. I just found out that you cant play uru with cd rw disc drives... And I do have one. So what do I do? Do I just not get to play Uru because of this? Please, some help would be appreciated.

uruclay
11-22-2003, 08:40 PM
I just finished installing the game, but when I try to play Uru, it says that it cannot read the cd. I just found out that you cant play uru with cd rw disc drives... And I do have one. So what do I do? Do I just not get to play Uru because of this? Please, some help would be appreciated.

uruclay
11-22-2003, 09:10 PM
I have updated the game... But the update doesn't fix anything. I checked the other posts, and tried the things it said there too. I have pretty new cd rom drive... This is really frustrating since I paid for a game that I can't even play. Please fix this problem. Quickly.

ThebUgMan
11-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Since you say that it is a *new* CD-RW this shouldn't be your problem. It's true that some of the older CD-R/RWs may have problems reading the copy protection on the disk, but if your drive is new I'd suggest that maybe you have a different problem. Unfortunatly however we can't really give you any advice or help you to resolve this if we don't know anything about your computer (such as processor speed, how much ram, what kind of video card, what operating system, etc ,etc). If you post some of this info we'd be glad to help you resolve this problem!

bUg

uruclay
11-22-2003, 09:37 PM
oh ok sorry. Here are my specs:

2.2 AMD Athalon Processor
512 RAM
GeForce 4
Windows XP
80 GB HardDrive

Thanks.

ThebUgMan
11-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Okay, could you post the exact error message? or is it just "Cannot read from CD" or something similar to this. It *IS* possible you just lucked out and got a defective CD. Please understand these are just stabs in the dark. Maztec is much better at this stuff than me, and I wish he would come around and answer my topic. He's on pretty frequently tho, so you will receive a good answer from him. Also, something that would be helpfull is running the program "DXDIAG.EXE" from the run option in your start menu. At the bottom of the front tab of that program there will be a "save all information button" if you could save that as a text file, copy the text and paste it in this thread that would be helpfull as it states almost every piece of pertinant information about your computers setup, such as driver versions and what not.

EDIT: if your CD is in fact defective you WILL be able to get it replaced.

maztec
11-22-2003, 10:43 PM
heh, thanks bugman.

Wish more people would write in if what I suggested solve their issue or not.. Adds more to my tech guide that way.

Uhmm, Arrwen, go read the Readme1st tech guide. It has a lot of things you can try out with your drive in order to fix things.

I'm not sure offhand what is causing this in your case, sorry.

uruclay
11-23-2003, 02:53 AM
whos arrwen? lol. Well I found another way to get it to work so Im just gunna play single player. I still think that Cyan or Ubisoft or whoever should have dealt with this problem since I'm no even close to the only who has it. (check out the Uru Obsession Forums)

maztec
11-23-2003, 03:23 AM
Yes, but odds are this is a problem that wasn't found until after publication.

Not to mention that these types of problems occur all the time with innumerable other game titles.

PandoraxXx
12-10-2003, 09:45 AM
I am having the same problem, I can install the game but it will not play. When I click on play it says "cannot locate cd, insert correct cd", I have two hard drives which are partitioned into 3 segments each and a cdrom plus a burner. It is strange that it just cannot locate the drive since it is the same one I installed it from. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the burner and get the same message. Apparently there is a miscommunication between the game and where the cd is located. I just don't know how to tell it where the darn thing is. I installed it on my husbands computer and it works great, just don't like using his computer and he doesn't like me using it either.
I cannot get any tech support, nobody is home as far as they are concerned, just keep going around in circles and to frustrating to continue with them. If anyone has any answers please let me know, appreciate any help you can give me.

Windows XP Professional
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1024M
Radeon 9700 PRO
Soundblaster Live

rar16rw
12-10-2003, 10:29 AM
I had the same problem with the same error message. Uru will NOT run if you have Alcohol 120% installed, even if you aren't running it, just having it installed will cause this problem.

By chance you have that program? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PandoraxXx
12-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Oh dear. Thanks so much. How did you find this out? I could have researched forever and never found out.

rar16rw
12-10-2003, 07:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PandoraxXx:
Oh dear. Thanks so much. How did you find this out? I could have researched forever and never found out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sure wouldn't have figured it out on my own either!

I wish I could remember who posted it originally so I could thank them. It was posted on the old forum in the first day or two that Uru was out. I was still waiting for mine to come in the mail, but after reading about it, and knowing that I had Alcohol 120% installed, I made note of it. Sure enough, when I tried to run the game I had the error message. I uninstalled Alcohol 120% and Uru ran fine. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

maztec
12-10-2003, 08:31 PM
it's in my tech guide at the top of this forum

PandoraxXx
12-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Okay guys, I uninstalled Alcohol 120%, forgot to do the upgrade and after I did that all is well. Going to play the game........and thanks for this site it is great.

[This message was edited by PandoraxXx on Thu December 11 2003 at 04:14 PM.]