PDA

View Full Version : what is your favorite new ride?

fordfan25
11-05-2004, 08:53 PM
so guys, what is your favorite new fighter? and why? what do you like or dislike about it?

3.JG51_BigBear
11-05-2004, 08:56 PM
I like the Hawk 81. Its definitely a challenge to fly against the early model zeros and requires very careful energy management. The cockpit was extremely well done and the exterior is a big step up on the P-40 models already in the game. The fact that it was used by a group of American mercenaries flying under a foreign flag also adds a cool factor to the plane.

fordfan25
11-05-2004, 08:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
I like the Hawk 81. Its definitely a challenge to fly against the early model zeros and requires very careful energy management. The cockpit was extremely well done and the exterior is a big step up on the P-40 models already in the game. The fact that it was used by a group of American mercenaries flying under a foreign flag also adds a cool factor to the plane. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

to true.

Snuffy Smith
11-05-2004, 09:25 PM
The FM-2. The stubby sturdy little thing is like the Tonka toy of carrier ops.

heywooood
11-05-2004, 10:10 PM
I am still exploring all of these fine planes...I will get back to you, ff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Ofcourse - the first plane I flew was the the Wildcat....but the first one I landed on the Lexx with was a 'sair...just had to be.

I have also hooked an early Zero...schnapped the gear off on that one..hehehe BANZAI!!!

WTE_Tigger
11-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Woulda been the Tony but Gods knows what it's current performance is, ask us again after the patch.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WTE Tigger

VW-IceFire
11-05-2004, 10:34 PM
I like the Corsair, I like the KI-61 (or will http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif), and the Spitfire VIII I'm sure will be great once it gets a few things...like more 20mm cannon ammo and maybe some better markings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Korolov
11-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Overall I find the F4F-4 to be a very nicely done ride. The cockpit looks to be done with almost the same quality as the J8A and it offers some good performance for a early-mid war bird.

Second would be the P-40B/Cs - absolutely amazing.

Third, Ki-43s. I don't think they really look that great and the cockpit could use a hell of a lot more polish, but they're a blast to fly.

ddelarosa
11-05-2004, 10:44 PM
F4U Corsair.

I loooove this plane. It's blue. It's fast but graceful. It's blue. And landing aboard ship is always an exhilirating experience. Oh, and did I mention? It's blue.

Its detailed rendition in PF would make Pappy and his Black Sheep proud.

chris455
11-05-2004, 11:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Korolov:
Overall I find the F4F-4 to be a very nicely done ride. The cockpit looks to be done with almost the same quality as the J8A and it offers some good performance for a early-mid war bird.

Second would be the P-40B/Cs - absolutely amazing.

Third, Ki-43s. I don't think they really look that great and the cockpit could use a hell of a lot more polish, but they're a blast to fly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Korolov, I agree: the P-40B's glass-jaw damage model is "absolutely amazing."
I have confirmed this a dozen times now: 1 hit by anything, anywhere in the front of the AC and your engine is gone. Plus, you're lucky if they don't throw in a PK or total control loss to boot. Despite the gorgeous visual model of this aircraft, I regard it as virtually hors de combat
due to it's (inexcusably) lame DM.
I really hope Oleg takes a look at this, and soon.

TheGozr
11-06-2004, 01:47 AM
yak 9 and 3 in PF they rock as the new maps make you appreciate the old ones...

Fehler
11-06-2004, 01:56 AM
Well, since everyone is flying AOL... (Allied On Line) I have decided that I will become a dedicated Japanese pilot.

I never flew the Japanese planes much in FB, but I really like the way the A6M7 flies and the Ki-84 is a fun plane as well.

Of course, since I have to mess around with supercharger settings and mixture now, it may be a little while until I can get the most out of these planes.

The Ki-84 flies just like I always thought a 190 should, plus a little better turn, minus a little dive/zoom, so I am in heaven now with this bird.

I will say this... I cant wait until the Ki-61 is fixed. I have always liked this plane and it will be a fun one to master.

As for the US planes, they look very nice. Deflection shooting in a corsair is so easy I want to puke! (Sure wish it was that easy in a 190!)

I havent tried a lot of the planes yet, as I am more concerned with learning the Japanese crafts right now. There is always room for Japanese flyers in DF servers... Lots of US targets all the time! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Korolov
11-06-2004, 02:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chris455:
Korolov, I agree: the P-40B's glass-jaw damage model is "absolutely amazing."
I have confirmed this a dozen times now: 1 hit by _anything, anywhere _ in the front of the AC and your engine is _gone_. Plus, you're lucky if they don't throw in a PK or total control loss to boot. Despite the gorgeous visual model of this aircraft, I regard it as virtually _hors de combat_
due to it's (inexcusably) lame DM.
I really hope Oleg takes a look at this, and soon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err, please don't put words into my mouth. The engine might be quite a glass jaw, but I've come to expect that from *all* fighters. The P-40Bs are quite effective against planes that lack a rear gunner; and with the relatively light armanent, anything with a rear gunner is going to be too tough for it anyways. So the engine durability goes out the window, so as long you can avoid being hit in the forward hemisphere.

It'd be swell if it were changed to have increased durability, but until then I think it's a excellent fighter.

Daiichidoku
11-06-2004, 02:46 AM
Been doing "weight training" with the Beau since i got PF....wow! fun ride...and not to be underestimated

Flew the Ki61 (Otsu) tonight...wanted to find out what the hubbub about this "POS" type was i heard...
knocked my socks off, actually..to me it has bizarre xharacteristics, but i found it flew very well in spite of that, and while only slightly less in terms of absolute performance in the areas of climb, top speed, dive speed, firepower and damage absorpsion compared to allied and german types, still retaining (IMO) excellent manuverability and ease of control (control harmony?)

IMO, if the Ki61 is any improved in the patch, i think i will have found my favorite new ride

(curious about the Ki100 too, of course...but I kinda like the speed of the Tony, over the slower 100, specially without haviing to sweat RL engine deficiencies, and the TOny retains more than enough manuverability to deal with most opponents)

CHDT
11-06-2004, 02:50 AM
If modelled correctly, the Ki-100 should be the king of dogfight, especially in ascending turning.

PlimPlam
11-06-2004, 03:41 AM
sb by far. A couple of times this week I went to practice a bit, before going ol, I called it short to fly it. Last week was the same as well. Funny as I never flew the il or the ju at all before but this guy has some character that hooks me a bit.

Been flying the US navy planes online mostly. Really want to swoop in and just fly one and master it, but I havent yet, as Im waiting for the nerf bat to swing down.

So the sb. By far.

Giganoni
11-06-2004, 04:35 AM
Well, the problem with the Ki-61 I think is mostly the armament, ammo, and dates/designations. The only problem with its flight model I've heard anyone complain about is that its diving speed is very low. It could reach 850kph before flutter, it can only do about 640 atm. Of course the diving speed is what made it good, since P-40s couldn't escape it.

I notice that the Ki-61I ki (ko) while it says in the object viewer it has the correct armament (2 12.7mm 2 7.7mm) it actually in the game has cannons in the nose. (explosive damage, cannon jammed message, etc). So the armament may become weaker (in the Ko at least), but hopefully will have more rounds.

Bill_Lester
11-06-2004, 05:10 AM
My vote goes for the F6F-3, flawed as it is right now. It's easy to fly around the boat, packs a good punch and can take a lot of punishment. In these areas I think it's well modelled. Once the flaps are fixed on it and the -5, I'll be a really happy camper.

A close second would be the A-20 Havoc. I've been tearing up various Pacific islands and the Normandy coast for a week in this beauty and prefer it to all other dedicated ground pounders. Those 8 .50's in the nose are great for turning static Zeroes and Bettys into sushi.

geetarman
11-06-2004, 07:13 AM
I'm realy suprised just how good the Hellcat is.
I also wish the made that huge Japanese seaplane flyable! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Jester_159th
11-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Well when it came to AEP I was always a huge Spitfire fanatic (mind you that's been true since I saw one at an airshow when I was about 8......Many....Many.....MANY years ago!!) So when it came to PF I sort of naturally went for the Seafire first. But I've tried some of the other (mainly allied planes). I really enjoy the F4-F3 Wildcat funilly enough. Also I'm fast developing a healthy respect for the Corsair. And I love the Beaufighter....Or would if I could find a way to stop getting blasted to pieces by the AAA!!

HB.67
11-06-2004, 07:24 AM
I completely fell in love with the Wildcat. Initially, I aimed towards mastering the Hellcat, but I figured training with an earlier and hence more demanding bird would be a good start. Now I just can't let go off it.

Funny, since the same thing happened to me in Il-2 and FB. I was instantly sold to the La-5 when I first laid eyes upon it, only to revert back to the I-16 later, being in the need of a more challenging ride.

DuxCorvan
11-06-2004, 07:34 AM
Elvira... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

falco_cz
11-06-2004, 07:38 AM
A20G - fast, sturdy, big punch

Voidable
11-06-2004, 08:53 AM
The corsair its been my fav every sence i knew what an airplane was and i think thay did an awsome job with it here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ElAurens
11-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Well, as my sig implys I am a Hawk kinda guy, but strangely enough I don't use it much. The game's engine really robs the P40 of one of it's crucial benefits, the ability to out dive Japanese aircraft, since all aircraft more or less have the same dive acceleration.

Like some have noted PF should really be called PF4U, as every Tom, Richard, and n00bie is flying the Corsair, so I find myself flying for the Japanese Empire more and more. The Ki61, even with it's flawed FM is my ride of choice. It's overall robust nature, good level performance, range, and decent guns all work for me. It will be sublime when patched.

If I do enter a full or mixed planeset server and see a sky full of Corsairs there is only one medicine for that... the Yak 3P. Those blue squids don't have a chance.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bull_dog_
11-06-2004, 11:44 AM
A-20...not doubt about it, I love those twin engined bombers. I also really like landing on carriers too in Corsairs

Snootles
11-06-2004, 01:24 PM
My favorite is the Ki-43-Ic with its incredible low speed maneuverability, delicate construction, light armament and telescope sight. Sir Alec ******ss said it best: "Not as clumsy or random as a blaster- an elegant weapon from a more civilised age."

Airmikey2
11-06-2004, 01:58 PM
I love the corsair http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif She's a beaut!!

But , have you flown the P-47 since PF..? Incredible improvement, me thinks..

The only thing I feel is lacking with the Corsair and Hellcat, I would have expected to be able to drop the nose on that bad boy and accelerate to a speed that no zero could match. That has not been the case in my experience.. Please note that I am not backing this up with irrefutable scientific data, it's just my feel for things. I actually think the P47 feels much more capable in this area than the F4u..

Airmikey

ARSNL
11-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Have been enjoying the Corsair Mk.IV but if you want a favorite, just feels good to fly, performance issues be dammed, it has to be the Seafire. What's not to love, it's a Spit that does carrier ops http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Thank you for finally giving us one in a Pacific sim 1c!

fordfan25
11-06-2004, 02:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Voidable:
The corsair its been my fav every sence i knew what an airplane was and i think thay did an awsome job with it here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep me to that and the hellcat.

Philipscdrw
11-06-2004, 02:47 PM
I a/\/\ teh 1337 B-25 ]{1/\/9!!!!111

Did that make sense?