PDA

View Full Version : The Corsair and F4U tips

Hydra444
12-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Does anyone here fly this plane regularly?I VERY recently got into flying it and was wondering could give me any tips on how to effectively fly her well in combat?

I just can't seem to figure how far I can push it before it goes into a snap roll.

Gibbage1
12-03-2005, 04:29 AM
Simple. Dont turn. F4U is not a turn fighter, but a B&Z aircraft. It has almost 100MPH more top speed then its main competitor, the A6M, so use it. The F4U is well within the 400MPH club, and no Japanese aircraft are. Well maybe the Ki-84 but I doubt any Ki-84's ever made it to 400MPH without braking something in real life http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hydra444
12-03-2005, 05:01 AM
So are there any difference's between the F4U and the Corsair?At a glance it seems that the Corsair has clipped wing ends,while the F4U's are slightly rounded.

3.JG51_BigBear
12-03-2005, 05:37 AM
The "Corsairs" were the F4Us provided to the Royal Navy and the New Zealand Navy. They have clipped wings because the carrier decks of these forces were heavily armoured and the fighters would not fit in their hanger bays when the wings were folded. Pilots who flew the clipped wing models noted a slight increase in rate of roll but performance otherwise was about the same to the standard F4U.

When you're in the U-bird, always stay above the main battle. When an engagement begins, concentrate on gaining altitude and a favorable position from which to attack. When you have a target, dive through the battle concentrating on that one target. Japanese planes can disappear in a flash and its tempting to try and barrel roll or snap roll with them but definitely don't. At the speed you should be flying, you'll black out quickly and will find yourself with a big red meatball right on your tail. After the high speed pass climb away and prepare for another attack.

Never let your speed drop below 200mph and avoid turn combat like the plague. Don't use the cowel flaps, they don't cool the engine (its a bug) and leave your throttle at about 95% while in combat. Use the remaining power band as emergency power only to avoid overheat. Visibility is poor so be s-turning regularly in hostile areas to avoid being bounced. If you get a bandit on your six, diving is always a good idea but remember to reduce prop pitch or your engine will act like a giant speed break. High speed scissors also works well against zeros because the effectiveness of their ailerons drops off significantly at around 250mph.

JFC_Rautaristi
12-03-2005, 06:14 AM
It's a nice ride. I suggest not to take 25% fuel, as then you will be able to do maneuvers that are quite impressive for a plane of this size. For a long time i used 25% and i often found myself turning with 84s (and often winning). Still, F4U is not a turn fighter. I feel that in high speeds it turns well but once it gets slower it won't turn anywhere. best is to use BnZ and stay alive. In a shallow climb, while making a gentle turn at the same time, you can outrun the 84 and drag him high.

The altitude performance of F4U is great. Propably not as great as P51, but real close. There's no japanese plane that can match it up high.

VW-IceFire
12-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Not much to add with the Corsair. Only turn when you're fast...say about 400kph and higher. Use diving attacks on the target to shoot and then pull away and reposition for another attack.

The Corsair is not a turn fighter but its large wings mean you can sustain a very good turn for a short period provided you have lots of energy moving into the turn.

Its also the most capable fighter-bomber we've got with its various loadouts including 4000lbs of bombs (1x2000lb and 2x1000lb loadout) and Tiny Tim rockets. You can sink carriers with those kinds of loadouts.

BigKahuna_GS
12-03-2005, 07:43 AM
S!

Both the Hellcat & Corsair are underpowered especially during take off.
The Corsair is about 10mph too slow at sea level speed and with the engine overheating so rapidly allows the Ki84 to run it down at will on the deck. Try accelerating with a warm/hot Corsair engine from 250mph past 310mph IAS-straight and narrow speed run back to the carrier.

Both F6F & F4U engine overheats quickly & the airframe bleeds energy too rapidly.

The stall & turn charectoristics of the Hellcat are both off and need to be improved--per actual real life Hellcat pilot. There was complaints when PF came out that stalls were too gentle on these Navy fighters and when adjustments were made unfortunately too much trimming occured in several areas.

____

Grey_Mouser67
12-03-2005, 09:17 AM
The corsair is the worst of the worst wobblers in the game...don't know why it is, but it is.

Therefore, I suggest tracking shots only. If an opponent knows you are there and starts jinking, don't jink with him...either climb or pick a spot where you thing he will be and fire small bursts. Hopefully Oleg will address this in the future, but who knows.

p1ngu666
12-03-2005, 09:33 AM
up high do whatever u want as most japanease planes have frozen controls, compressability or stalling!, such a joy to fly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

u can turn and burn abit tho

i dont think the wobble is too bad actully...

while the USN arent as good as they should be, only the ki84 is equalish

3.00 FM was a joke http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

bluedragon1950
12-03-2005, 10:46 AM
There are few servers where u can find aces who really can fly F4U. They can turn on the dime against Spit, YAK, AM or LA. Here are the servers on HyperLobby: Aerial_Thunder, STE_Server.

faustnik
12-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 609IAP_Kahuna:

Both F6F & F4U engine overheats quickly & the airframe bleeds energy too rapidly.

For what it's worth I agree. The F4U overheats much more easily than any ohter radial and is tough to cool down. The E-bleed is high relative to other a/c.

VW-IceFire
12-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by faustnik:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 609IAP_Kahuna:

For what it's worth I agree. The F4U overheats much more easily than any ohter radial and is tough to cool down. The E-bleed is high relative to other a/c. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it appears that the radiator still does absolutely nothing a'tall so opening it means nothing...

Hydra444
12-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Okay,took her up and got a taste of some first time combat with her after reading some of yall's suggestions.

Did really well I think.For some reason,I find the Cosair much easier to fly than the F4U,might be just my imagination.

Things got much easier when one of the guys who was flying as my wingman in and F4U stated "Wow,this thing is like a cracked out Jug!".Seeing as I fly the Jug quite abit,I just used all the tactics in tricks that I use in the Jug and applied the to the Corsair...Let me just say http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif WOW http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif The Corsair is fast,especially in a dive.

Luftwaffe planes seemed to be easy pickings in this bird it seemed.Zeros hardly stood a chance.I just maintained a healthy alt advantage and made sure that I was able to dictate the pace of the fight.If things got outta hand,I just through it into overdrive and hauled ***.Luckily I had a wingmanto watch over me.

This thing is devasting when employed in pairs http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The one plane that did give some trouble was the Ki-84.Against the 84,it seems my only trump card is my ability to go really fast in a dive.Had I not a had a wingman,I wouldn't have stood a chance against them.

JFC_Rautaristi
12-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Hydra444:

This thing is devasting when employed in pairs http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

That's exactly how it should be used! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

The one plane that did give some trouble was the Ki-84.Against the 84,it seems my only trump card is my ability to go really fast in a dive.Had I not a had a wingman,I wouldn't have stood a chance against them.

Fighting 84s comes only with experience. Still, only good advice i can give is to have a wingman. Remember that 84 chokes at altitude, drag him high.

vanjast
12-03-2005, 03:58 PM
So are there any difference's between the F4U and the Corsair?At a glance it seems that the Corsair has clipped wing ends,while the F4U's are slightly rounded.

This is the same story with the FW190 vs Yakky, Me109 vs Spit, P40 vs Zeke. If you know what you're doing. You can beat a Zeke anytime without the BnZ story. You must just weigh up the situation. Online I've managed to take out 2 zekes in an F4 in close dogfight mode.
Check out the differences in each plane - you'll be surprised.

Husta Lavista
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hydra444
12-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by vanjast:
This is the same story with the FW190 vs Yakky, Me109 vs Spit, P40 vs Zeke. If you know what you're doing. You can beat a Zeke anytime without the BnZ story. You must just weigh up the situation. Online I've managed to take out 2 zekes in an F4 in close dogfight mode.
Check out the differences in each plane - you'll be surprised.

Husta Lavista
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I noticed this as well.I worked them at angles,essentially negating their ability to out turn me.Also,I found that putting on the combat flaps helps as well.

That all aside,having a wingman is indespensible.I'm not a point *****,so I didn't care one or another if me or my wingman got the kill.My only goal is to wipe the sky clean of enemy opposition.