PDA

View Full Version : Jet Start-up Question

tferrell
02-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi All,
It's seems that I saw a post related to this several months ago and I did a search but to no avail.
What is the command to initiate jet engine start-up for the ME- 262? I understand there were small 2 stroke engines that got the turbines started. I wasn't flying a 262 when I saw the post and I thought the default command would be in the documentation but I haven't been able to find it.
If anyone knows please pass it on.
Thanks,
Tim

dbillo
02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
As far as I know, all engines are started with the same key command: 'I'

I've never had to do anything different, even for the Me-262, although I always wondered what that 'putt-putt' sound was when the engines started up. Now I know!

|CoB|_Spectre
02-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Bear in mind that the Me-262 is a multi-engine airplane and, as such, you must map keys to control each engine. Left engine will be engine #1, right engine is #2. While there are a number of key mapping options available in the Controls setup, I find I only need a few.

I setup a key to Select #1 Engine, Select #2 Engine, and Select All Engines. I can start, control and shutdown either/both engines with just these three key designations. However, since I want to be able to fly P-38s, the Mosquito, He-111, Ju-88, A-20 and B-25, I also added a key for Fire Extinguisher and Feather/Unfeather Prop.

For the Me-262, my start sequence goes like this: Set throttle to idle, press Select #1 Engine key, Press "I" key to start engine. When I see positive indications for that engine, I can initiate start on the other engine by pressing Select #2 Engine key (shifting control now to that engine), pres "I" key to start that engine. When I see positive indications that #2 engine has started I press the "Select All Engines" key to ensure I have both engines under a unified throttle control so one engine isn't running at higher RPM, causing the aircraft to turn or run off the runway when power is advanced for takeoff. Engine shutdown is just the opposite: select the desire engine, press "I" to shutdown". If you've had to secure an engine inflight, be sure you remember to press the key to regain control of the "good" engine by pressing its "Select Engine #..." so it will respond to your throttle inputs.

Fire extinguishers and prop feathering is done by first selecting the desired engine, then pressing the Fire Extinguisher key. Extinguishing agent will be applied to the selected engine only. After shutting down the damaged engine as outlined above, pressing the Prop Feather key will control the blades on the selected engine. Again, be sure to regain control of the good engine by selecting it after you're done securing the bad engine.

Zeus-cat
02-13-2006, 03:52 PM
You must start all multi-engine aircraft one engine at a time. Go into controls and set keys for select/deselect engines 1 and 2. Shut off #2, use I to start 1. Deselect 1, select 2 and start it. Select both engines. After the engines warm up, I usually run my throttles up to 10% for less than a second to verify both engines are selected. Look at the throttles or at your gauges.

Skycat_2
02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
You must start all multi-engine aircraft one engine at a time.
Only if you have 'separate engine start' selected in the difficulty options. Otherwise, the default 'engine start' keystroke that applies to the single-engined planes will work just fine.

Treetop64
02-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Interesting. Another AC that required external power for starts was the Polikarpov I-16. A truck, with a powered crank in the back, drove around and connected the end of that crank to the hub of the I-16's propeller, and literally crank-started the engine!

Too bad an animation for that isn't modelled. That would be fun to just sit and watch!

Tough luck if you had to put down somewhere, and none of those trucks were available...

Zeus-cat
02-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Only if you have 'separate engine start' selected in the difficulty options. Otherwise, the default 'engine start' keystroke that applies to the single-engined planes will work just fine.

D'oh!!!

tferrell
02-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I =think the separate engine start was what was tripping me up. I just recently started using it and don't have too much experience.
I guess I confused the issue with something entirely different. My mistake.
Tim