PDA

View Full Version : question + after action report

Miriyia
06-26-2006, 12:31 PM
I have had SHIII for some time but my old PC couldn't handle it. I finaly built myself a new comp and dusted off SHIII so I'm all noob again.

Downloading Grey Wolves mod now so I don't know if that makes any differance but I was wondering what happens if I sink nuetral ships?
I didn't know if there would be retribution for such acts.
I have been using this site http://www.flags.net/search.php so I know what country the flag belongs too and Googling to see when they entered the war.

I had picked up a contact just outside my patrole grid and was itching to sink me a ship but my 24 hours were not up yet. So there I sit at the edge of my patrol zone as the merchant ship goes by just barly outside visual range. So I wait and wait as the ship passes and I finaly get the mission complete as my 24 hours are up but now I can only barly hear them on the hydrophone so I surface and start making 12knots towards them. Come to find out I was probaly a good 12,000m-15,000m behind them as it took almost an entire grid to get visual sighting on them. Luck was on my side though as it had gotten dark by the time I made visual contact at like 6500m. She hadn't seen me but was doing 9knots so I was only barly catching up.
I decide to take a "gods eye view" to see what nations flag they were flying. At this point I had been stalking them for 30-45 min real time so I wanted to sink something and was eager for carnage. I find out she is flying Norways flag. A quick Google search say at this point in 1939 Norway had signed a pact of nuetrality and as part of that agreement was conducting trade with both Brits and Germany.

Thirsting for blood I set a steam torp to slow run 3m depth and at 0% dead ahead and fired at about 4,600m (19% reality dud torp off) as the sun was not far away from rising clearly increasing the chance that I would be spotted.
Well being directly behind kinda worked out for me as the torp was hidden in the ships wake. The torp made contact with a thud directly into the propeller and as the ship pushed forward about 15m distance had been created and the torp steamed ahead with another thud as the propeller knocked the torp off course this time causing the torps 15m return to the target to impact to the port side of the the propeller shaft blowing the propeller clean off and locking the keel at hard to port.
The ship quicking slowed to a stop and I had about a 70 degree shot on her broadside now. I was catching up fast as I noticed her setling to the rear but she would remain afloat.
With only a Type II A/1 deck gunning it was not an option so several minutes later by the time I had gotten within 1200m I let a second torp loose heading for right behind the tower, the explosion broke the ship in 2 and she sunk quickly as I turned to port to continue my hunting away from the scene.

VikingGrandad
06-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Every time you sink a neutral ship you will lose renown. You lose as much renown as you would have gained if it has been an enemy ship.

Do this too much and you will get thrown out of the Kriegsmarine! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

If you're struggling to find targets, head over to so British coastal waters, where sooner or later you should find enemy merchants heading towards or away from the ports.

lecek
06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Downloading Grey Wolves mod now so I don't know if that makes any differance but I was wondering what happens if I sink nuetral ships?
I didn't know if there would be retribution for such acts.

You get credit for the tonnage but you lose the renown value of the ship.

The ship you sank would have been a small merchant or a coastal merchant and it is worth 70 or 60 renown respectivly. (Actual renown awarded is modified by difficulty settings.)

I have been using this site http://www.flags.net/search.php so I know what country the flag belongs too and Googling to see when they entered the war.

Yea I remember it was a pain to know what ships I could sink when I first got the game. One clue is if the music changes. I don't consider this cheating since IRL you would know what ships you could attack. I just figure the music change is like the mood in the boat as say your first officer gets excited. Keep in mind in some odd situations the music will not change for an enemy ship, but it doesn't happen that often.

If you have map updates difficulty setting, you can go to your map when you are close and note the colour of the contact. Red is enemy, green is neutral and blue is friendly.

I had picked up a contact just outside my patrole grid and was itching to sink me a ship but my 24 hours were not up yet.

Go get him. Those 24 hours do not have to be in a row. You can leave your patrol to sink a target without penalty.

So there I sit at the edge of my patrol zone as the merchant ship goes by just barly outside visual range. So I wait and wait as the ship passes and I finaly get the mission complete as my 24 hours are up but now I can only barly hear them on the hydrophone so I surface and start making 12knots towards them. Come to find out I was probaly a good 12,000m-15,000m behind them as it took almost an entire grid to get visual sighting on them. Luck was on my side though as it had gotten dark by the time I made visual contact at like 6500m. She hadn't seen me but was doing 9knots so I was only barly catching up.
I decide to take a "gods eye view" to see what nations flag they were flying. At this point I had been stalking them for 30-45 min real time so I wanted to sink something and was eager for carnage. I find out she is flying Norways flag. A quick Google search say at this point in 1939 Norway had signed a pact of nuetrality and as part of that agreement was conducting trade with both Brits and Germany.

Thirsting for blood I set a steam torp to slow run 3m depth and at 0% dead ahead and fired at about 4,600m (19% reality dud torp off) as the sun was not far away from rising clearly increasing the chance that I would be spotted.
Well being directly behind kinda worked out for me as the torp was hidden in the ships wake. The torp made contact with a thud directly into the propeller and as the ship pushed forward about 15m distance had been created and the torp steamed ahead with another thud as the propeller knocked the torp off course this time causing the torps 15m return to the target to impact to the port side of the the propeller shaft blowing the propeller clean off and locking the keel at hard to port.
The ship quicking slowed to a stop and I had about a 70 degree shot on her broadside now. I was catching up fast as I noticed her setling to the rear but she would remain afloat.
With only a Type II A/1 deck gunning it was not an option so several minutes later by the time I had gotten within 1200m I let a second torp loose heading for right behind the tower, the explosion broke the ship in 2 and she sunk quickly as I turned to port to continue my hunting away from the scene.

You didn't jam the rudder. (probably) They automatically start zig zagging after they are hit. But with no forward motion they never reach the zig zag waypoint.

It is a bad idea to shoot at a ship from directly behind or ahead. They will bounce off and often you don't get lucky like you did. The most common result is to waist the torpedo. Best is to shoot the ship from the side.

1200 meters is far away from a ship. Though yours wasn't moving. It is better to get closer. It is twice as easy to hit a ship from 600 meters then from 1200. Just be careful about distances less then 400 meters. The torps need at least 300 meters running distance to arm and it is easy to accidentally exceed that.

Finally the ship type you sank would go down in one shot with any torpedo hit that isn't at the very front or back. It takes some time to catch up to a ship that is doing almost as fast as you are but you can do it at higher time compression on the bridge. Just make sure you put all your extra crew in the rest area. (I mean all of them, you don't need your sound man or radio man when doing this.)

Miriyia
06-26-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the imput. I usualy have everyone resting that I can and I know that torp from behind was lucky. I usualy am able to get ahead of them and set up a shot from 400-700m and get them at 90 degrees broadside and one torp can take them out I was just being anxoius for a kill.

Definatly thanks for the info about the patrol, I though that if I left I would have to start the 24 hours over again.

wm4668
09-19-2006, 02:00 AM
have been using this site http://www.flags.net/search.php so I know what country the flag belongs too and Googling to see when they entered the war.
When you get GW, pressing f1 will give you another menu, part of which is attack orders, listing the date of entry into the war for all countries, I found this most useful when identifying vessels by flag.