PDA

View Full Version : The missing screenshot

Mix-Martes86
12-28-2004, 10:14 AM
They had it at the German site http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif :

http://www.silent-hunteriii.com/de/ss/pc/sshot75.jpg

Capt.LoneRanger
12-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

Looks lovely doesn't it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Yarrick_
12-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Excuse my stupidity, but what is the ring on the roof of the room?

McDaniel
12-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Its the only wa out of the steel cofin... :-)

Greets
Mcdaniel

blue_76
12-28-2004, 11:15 AM
i love the detail in this game.. simply amazing. should be interesting to see how they do the damage model and the graphical representation of it like light bulbs exploding and valves splashing water http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mix-Martes86
12-28-2004, 11:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McDaniel:
Its the only wa out of the steel cofin... :-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not the only one. In the other Type II screens from the 25th December, you can see from the radio room angle that's not the only one. There are two of them and that one we see in this pic doesn't have a ladder, so it may be a supply way. The real conning tower way in this model is the one next to the periscope.

oscar0072004
12-28-2004, 02:08 PM
kinda weird for a supply/food hatch dont you think? in the tpye VIIC they also had a second hatch over the tiny kitchen , but it had a ladder . and its kind of weird needing to have food going in the sub through the conning tower first dont ya think?

Mix-Martes86
12-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Maybe in the Type II they didn't invented a more simple way, or just they didn't have room enough for a ladder in the kitchen. I don't know, it's just a guess.

necrobaron
12-28-2004, 11:05 PM
That guy looks pissed. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.silent-hunteriii.com/de/ss/pc/sshot75.jpg
"What the hell do you want?"

Jose.MaC
12-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Have you observed the detail of his right hand? Human body has been modelled very carefully!

RedTerex
12-29-2004, 01:38 AM
When I see a good res screenie like that, of the interior, it sure makes me wish that we could walk about the entire sub.

This could be implemeted in SH4, you could have walk-about mode on-off.

Yeah I know we can walk around certain areas in SH3, but why not all.

If you think about it, the sub is just a map and if you compare the size of the sub to say one of the many maps in Medal of Honor PA then you begin to see how small our sub is.

Full walking about mode is a shame its not included...an oportunity missed.

BUT it still has to be said:
The interior modelling and the detail is unsurpassed, this again is a great tribute to the skills of the development team.
Bravo !

Thanks anyway for the new screenie posting Mix !

Capt.LoneRanger
12-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Well, I think MOHPA is a good example for why not to implement this feature. Of course it would be nice, but the additional workload for pure eyecandy means less gameplay, as it is in most ego-shooters today.
I still prefer gamedepth over eyecandy, which is infact the reason, why I can easily resist to buy MOHPA, HL2 and D3. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

GertFroebe
12-29-2004, 02:51 AM
I AM WONDERING, where the captain will sleep in the typ II boat. As far as I know in type two boats EVERYONE slept in the bow-room. The Kommandant had no berth for his own.
So if Sh3 will be correct we would see the bow-room (torpedo-room).

U-551 Kapitan
12-29-2004, 03:58 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif LoneRanger, you DON'T want MoHPA?! Wow. I do think walking should be included as most of you should know I do. But I thought as of now, it still wasn't definite that the ability wouldn't be included. I was silently praying they'd see the error of their ways. But yeah, modelling such a small map would not take very long, and they've already got the skins and items all done. If we can just walk around in the sub they already have, I'd be amazed. I hope they stop working on the graphics (already too good) and start tending to our other needs. But I've said this once, and I'll say it again, they're not being asked to map out an entire GTA map. All we need is a few small compartments to keep us happy. If they work hard, they could still begin to implement it for SH3, never mind SH4. Walking is not really eye candy though. Eye candy is graphics, and walking is an ability which would add flavour to the gameplay and on a whole crank up the realism.
Anyway, eyecandy in terms of graphics, I agree, does not make a game, but it certainly helps it on it's way. The Medal of Honor series is taking a more serious outlook on the war, which is becoming the norm these days. Instead of running around commando-style, we're fighting in key events eg Normandy, Bastogne and now the Pacific. And while there are still inevitable discrepencies, war is becoming more real, and more harrowing.

RedTerex
12-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Please all get away from the " one or the other " syndrome.

You can have both, every time , all the time.
eye-candy and in depth gameplay.
Great maps and skins and realism.

All this twaddle about limited resources, limited time to work on it, limited this limited that..its all twaddle.

The Ubi-soft games making industry is massive, todays PC's are also massive. They have 100's of people working on these games not just a few stretched to the exreme over worked devvies rushing around like billyo to get it all done.

by and large SH3 IS complete and has been for a while now, its just the tidying up.

Developing SH3 was not a big issue for Ubi-soft, they already had access to all the engines, codings, proccesses, codecs, exe.files,etc,etc,etc before the game was even realised...Ubi-Soft are big big big.

So we can have what we want when we want, the DC, coastlines, harbours, hell, even seagulls in the sky are proof of this. Dont get hoodwinked by clever corporate rhetoric and agenda into thinking otherwise.

Political correctness and marketing strategies occupy the rest of what we can have and thats all.

Eye-candy, total U-boat freedom to stroll around, extreme realism all the way all the time is possible with NO loss of resources or sacrice of certain elements.

The future is here and Ubi can handle it, with unlimited recources. They are not a tin-pot, mickey mouse organisation.

Walking around the entire uboat with freedom on a long patrol would ahve been excellent.

The majority of you are all U-boat buffs, you prove this by your knowledge, interest, intelligence and education about U-boats and I think that to be able to walk around a fully detailed virtual submarine in a simulation of this calibre should have been implememted, with NO loss of any other aspect of the game.

Thank you.

U-551 Kapitan
12-29-2004, 06:01 AM
Well, yeah, I guess Ubisoft does have the resources to include most things. You can do anything if you have a load of people helping you. Does anyone know how many people are actually participating in the production of this game?

Mix-Martes86
12-29-2004, 07:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedTerex:
So we can have what we want when we want, the DC, coastlines, harbours, hell, even seagulls in the sky are proof of this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or we would have got these in a mod, if someone got to it. Maybe we get DD's even before DC2 ships out. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Capt.LoneRanger
12-29-2004, 08:12 AM
@U-551 Kapitan

MOHPA is just Q3-engine, which was allready used for MOHAA and CoD and it's not a bit better than MOHAA. Yes, there are some nice features added, but the "walk around" is really very much limited. I never saw a jungle with solid walls and I never saw an offensive by anybody sending down all their soldiers right in a straight line to the mounted MG, in the middle of the jungle. Sorry, but gamedepth and Q3-engine isn't. If you don't believe it, do a little test: Jump from a stone or tree on a small cliff - you lose 10 healthpoints, maybe 15. Jump from a 8m cliff and loose 10 pts, too, but without the pain animations, and stuff...
I do play ego-shooters, but perhaps I'm too old for scripted one-line-eyecandy-games like MOHPA, HL2 & D3 to take em seriously. Nice games, no doubt, but definately not a good example for best games or most options.

@ RedTerex

UBI is not developing the game! It has the money, but not a single man beyond the manager working on this project is from the UBI staff. And though it's surely not black or white, it's surely a matter of decision to implement more of this or more of that. If this was not the case, UBI could have just put 20 more programmers on the project and include the dynamic campaign ready for christmas 2004! It's surely not THAT easy.

A walk around feature is surely more work than it is allready included in the game. You cannot expect to have everything completely modelled, with all crewmen walking around and yourself being able to go and look whereever you want and see the degree of detail you see in the few important rooms right now. You'd have to build in level barriers, as it is used in UE2 and 3 to make the game run on todays machines, to be able to render all polygons, not to speak of the CPU needed to controll the actions of the crew, which would have to be much more detailed, as it is right now!
It's also a question, how the damage is modelled. This would be the main reason of checking the compartments yourself and this would of course mean a tremendous amount of additional workload! And then you got to put this into relation of what you want to present and how people are going to use this. How many times would you inspect the aft-torpedoe-room during the third cruise on the same boat? How many times would you walk through the boat to see the toilet or the kitchen? Is it really worth that effort?

U-551 Kapitan
12-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Yes it is worth the effort. Creating the uboat has already been done. Only a couple of places are left to create. Walking creates a sense of realism which has been unseen in any uboat sim to date. Of course the effect it would have would be positive. We cannot recieve a sense of claustraphobia with a series of fixed viewpoints. Walking down those corridors and compartments is the only solution. You say Ubi finances the game. Yes it does and so Ubi provides the developers with workers. Workers work formoney, which Ubi provides. Crewmen do not have to walk everywhere as you stated, they can be confined to their bed compartments, simply lying down in their bunks thinking about home, while those on duty can be doing their jobs, as we have already seen them do in screenshots (so the crew actions have already been dealt with). Most of the work has already been done, and all they are doing now is putting the finishing touches on (which is basically just polishing up the eye candy which you complain about). They have the time, resources and money to include a walking feature which will not hinder the release date on bit, unless there is something really wrong.

MoHPA has included the use of squad tactics with as much detail no other game has yet achieved (but wait for Brothers in Arms). You can use hand signals as they did in WW2, you use the modern tactic of fire & manueveur as they did in WW2, and you get medics to tend to your wounds as they did in WW2. Attention to detail is astounding in PA. Regardless of eye candy, PA has great gameplay.
(Was Thin Red Line based on a true story anyone? Because in that, they send men straight at an MG bunker, only to get them cut down)

PS, I'm looking for small cliffs and 8 metre cliffs in a sec, I'll get back to you once I find one and jump off.

blue_76
12-29-2004, 09:04 AM
yes, a walking feature would be a welcome addition to the sim. it would be after all, part of the realism.. for instance, it takes time to get from one room to the next. sometimes a captain needs to go to a different part of the ship to check on a damage or issue orders himself.. in either case it will all fit in with real-time realism http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif now, they could add this feature by calculating how long it takes for a normal person to get from one part of the ship to another and simply take u to the different screens.. but everyone is different and damage can be all over the ship (in between rooms or even in the toilet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
in any case, i do hope they model this.. if not, perhaps these features can be added later as a mod or a patch..
it takes time and money to do all these things, but from what i've seen on the screenshots and the videos its a very realistic sim and they've done things very painstakenly in detail.. they've come thus far, hopefully they'll go one more step and make the walkaround feature available (if not on release date, then later as a patch).

~S~

U-551 Kapitan
12-29-2004, 12:39 PM
A walking feature on a patch would be acceptable, but I doubt they would include such a large change on a patch, they are usually just for straightening out bugs.

GertFroebe
12-29-2004, 01:37 PM
If you have nothing better to do than talking about 'walking around' again, read my last posting and discuss about that!

U-551 Kapitan
12-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Hey, we're going through a rough patch with nothig new to talk about but concept art. I think giving some new life to old topics is a good idea.
But anyway, anyone know anything about Gert's quesion on typ II boats and sleeping arangements?

BoneDaddy1844
12-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Good grief! We're back to the walk-around feature again? Drop it, once and for all, people. It's a dead issue...

Keep on topic.

Thanks for providing the missing screenshot.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

one.zero
12-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Brining up old topics is a great idea. I have been actively doing it for the past few weeks in an effort to stimulate conversation on subjects such as mines, nets, booms, countermeasures, operational techniques...etc.

All of the topics I have stirred are those of which will apply to the command of a u-boat....and not items that are wishes for developement. Any wishes for development are wastefull at this point unless you intend to stimulate a modder's interest in the subject. It seems for certain the developers already have their plan and no discussion or poll on our part will change their present course.

So, let's work strategy and tactics of uboat operation and the history behind it, so as to be a sharper captain.