PDA

View Full Version : Worst aircraft

Segwin
03-26-2009, 03:45 PM
After doing some mud moving missions I find there are scripts with the enemy jumping you on the way back to base. Seeing how I dislike getting shot down I need to brush up on d/f skills.

What is the worst aircraft that I can assign an enemy, that I can use in a quick mission, to get the feel of d/f? Figure I'll start with something simple like a Cessna 172 and work my way up from there.

megalopsuche
03-26-2009, 03:56 PM
The enemy skill level is more important than the aircraft type. If I were you, I would choose a historically suitable opponent, but as "novice" or "average" and start there.

Ba5tard5word
03-26-2009, 04:07 PM
d/f?

Woke_Up_Dead
03-26-2009, 04:09 PM
You can also give him more fuel for added weight while taking only 25% yourself. An early BF-110 might be a good choice; not very nimble, not too fast, and on novice level the AI gunner isn't too deadly either.

Lt_Letum
03-26-2009, 04:09 PM
The 'worst' aircraft tend to be the ones that
operate best in an energy band far below that of
your aircraft, however, that also makes them
very hard to shoot down for the novice.

It's best to change the AI skill and keep them in
a plane that flyies in comparable energy bands
to that of your plane.

Remember: if you have to dogfight then you have
made the mistake of not being higher and faster
than your opponent. Avoid dogfights in favor of
hit and run attacks.

Ba5tard5word
03-26-2009, 04:15 PM
I would agree that the pilot AI skill level is probably more important. You can give the enemy a plane that is very slow and unmaneuverable with weak weapons, and it will fly it like a pro and hit you with precision.

If you want to last longer in a fight, give your opponent a plane with say two 7.67mm (.30 cal) machine-guns, you'll last longer than against .50 cals and cannons.

Hookecho
03-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Put a Vet/Ace AI in a Oscar and give him no ammo and 50% fuel....he will still leave you heading home talking to yourself

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I find it best to train in QMB with an identical aircraft as yourself and just change the AI skill level. This way it is 100% flying ability and tactics that determine if you win or lose so you can gauge your progress better.

DKoor
03-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Could be for instance, Beaufighter vs you in Ki-84. Beau is fairly large, clumsy doesn't have rear guns, and truth to be told the only thing it is really good at is not flying but destroying enemy at ground. Stuka is similar, just it has 7,62mm rear machine gun.
Should be a turkey shot.

mortoma
03-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by DKoor:
Could be for instance, Beaufighter vs you in Ki-84. Beau is fairly large, clumsy doesn't have rear guns, and truth to be told the only thing it is really good at is not flying but destroying enemy at ground. Stuka is similar, just it has 7,62mm rear machine gun.
Should be a turkey shot. Oh, I don't know. I once got attacked by 5 AI Zeros in the Beaufighter. All of them at least Average or Veteran, I know that because I have Dgen tweaked to give me few novice AI. Well anyway, I engaged them in my very poor handling Beau and promptly shot all five of them down!! I got them all with defection shooting and the Beaus six forward firing guns helped me a lot. I'll never forget that flight. I also was able to get two Zekes by using my B-25 as a dogfighter once too. And in the A-20, I have lots of air to air kills, too many to remember. And the Il2 is a really good dogfighter down low and slow but that's no secret.

Bearcat99
03-26-2009, 08:48 PM
See the Nugget's Guide in my sig. Go to Hands On: Phase Three.

Choctaw111
03-26-2009, 08:50 PM
The Quick Mission Builder is always the best way to train. There you can pick and choose exactly what you want your opponent to be, skill level, loadout, etc.

Sillius_Sodus
03-26-2009, 08:59 PM
What aircraft are you flying Segwin? It's all well and good to shoot down inferior opponents but in the long run it's better to practice against better balanced opponents.

Also, what part of dogfighting are you having trouble with? Some players can maneuver well but can't hit the broadside of a barn, sometimes it's the opposite. Once we know that, we can give you better advice.

Whatever you do, don't stop playin'! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

M_Gunz
03-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Segwin:
After doing some mud moving missions I find there are scripts with the enemy jumping you on the way back to base. Seeing how I dislike getting shot down I need to brush up on d/f skills.

What is the worst aircraft that I can assign an enemy, that I can use in a quick mission, to get the feel of d/f? Figure I'll start with something simple like a Cessna 172 and work my way up from there.

Cessna 172? Try QM flight of 4 slow bombers like TB-3 with ***no ammo***, then they will be bigger targets as well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
But that's not dogfight practice, it's gunnery practice with some maneuver since those bombers will be trying to run.

jamesblonde1979
03-27-2009, 04:18 AM
Worst fighter to use for practising dogfighting against?

Hurricane Mk I.

It has just enough performance not to be considered gunnery practise but should pose no threat to an alert pilot whatsoever.

deskpilot
03-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm no expert but have enjoyed practising in my fighter of choice against beaufighters because they are fairly manouverable and i think very toughly built, but you should be able to best them. Otherwise, a hurricane would be my bet.