PDA

View Full Version : No Screenshots (seriously!)

doc_364
04-08-2007, 05:01 AM
I installed the merged FB AEP PF a couple of days ago. Everything worked well for a day then I encountered a few problems, including no screenshots being taken (seems my 'conf' file kept getting wiped).
I downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card (ATI Radeon 9550) and all problems seemed to be solved ('conf' file no longer gets wiped), except for the screenshots.

I searched through the forum and checked a numbe of things;

I know where the shots are usually stored and no new ones are being stored.
I searched my PC for 'grab*' files - they aren't being stored elswhere.
I checked the 'Print Screen' key is working in other programmes - yes it is.
I checked the relevant line in the 'conf' file - that seems to be correct.
I tried using 'Print screen' with and without 'Shift' - no screenshots.

Sometimes the screen pauses the way it does when screenshots are taken, but most of the time it doesn't.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas about this as I couldn't find any other clues in the forum.

Thanks

doc_364
04-08-2007, 05:01 AM
I installed the merged FB AEP PF a couple of days ago. Everything worked well for a day then I encountered a few problems, including no screenshots being taken (seems my 'conf' file kept getting wiped).
I downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card (ATI Radeon 9550) and all problems seemed to be solved ('conf' file no longer gets wiped), except for the screenshots.

I searched through the forum and checked a numbe of things;

I know where the shots are usually stored and no new ones are being stored.
I searched my PC for 'grab*' files - they aren't being stored elswhere.
I checked the 'Print Screen' key is working in other programmes - yes it is.
I checked the relevant line in the 'conf' file - that seems to be correct.
I tried using 'Print screen' with and without 'Shift' - no screenshots.

Sometimes the screen pauses the way it does when screenshots are taken, but most of the time it doesn't.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any ideas about this as I couldn't find any other clues in the forum.

Thanks

Hanglands
04-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Hi,

I cant remember exactly, but I think the screen captures are stored as :

image00001.tga

... or maybe :

pic00001.tga

Are you using a .tga viewer to find them?

sakai2005
04-08-2007, 06:43 AM
for screen shots this tool is great save right to desk top.review and delete no wondering where they are.

http://www.simradar.com/File/2791/FSScreen_Version_1_1.html

doc_364
04-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Guys,
Thank you for your replies. I have downloaded the screenshots tool which will be useful when I manage to get screenshots again.
The information about the screen capture titles gave me another line of investigation, but I still couldn't find any new shots anywhere.

Prior to the problem, my screenshots were saving as 'grab...', which seems to be a legacy of having 'GIMP' on my PC at one time.

I have tried to find them using 'search' and 'IrfanView' using both possible titles, and the '.tga' suffix to search.

I now think that the occasional pauses when I press 'PrintScreen' are due to coincidental momentary freezes which I get anyway.

So thanks so far, and any other suggestions would be welcome.

MaxMhz
04-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Sscreenshots are saved as grab000.TGA, grab001.tga etc. and saved in the main game directory. If it does not work, run il2setup.exe to restore your conf.ini file. (make a backup when it works!!), or use a utility like e.g.Irfanview to make them if that does not work. You might want to also look into a utility called ATI Tray Tools by Ray Adams. (Try Guru3D.com). Among other things this can also make screenshots.
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">note screenshots are OVERWRITTEN with every new game you start!</span>

The pauses are being caused by the encryption to TGA and consecutive save to disk of the (big) TGA file.

doc_364
04-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks, I can now get screenshots again by using IrfanView. I only downloaded it a couple of days ago for converting .tga files and hadn't realised I could use it to make screenshots too.

MaxMhz
04-09-2007, 03:31 AM
Good. Irfan is better in that it doesn't overwrite screenshots if options are set right, you can define into which directory the screenshots go, and can also save as JPG (faster and smaller). Ray Adams'ATI Tray-Tools has simular capabilities and can also control and finetune ATI cards, hot-keys to configure, fps meter etc. Much more advanced than ATI's Tray Tool.