PDA

View Full Version : How about an option to deny printscreening ?

prodigal_Hock
01-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Would it be possible to implement an option in hostsettings for online play that would make "taking screenshots" impossible ?

Unfortunately, the printscreen cheat is still rampant in online play, and allthough its not possible to press it more than once in a while now, that "once" is usually sufficient to throw off the aim of any B&Z players since they mostly come in for sweeping passes. Players would still be able to get the screenshots they want by recording the track and taking screens from there. (Wich is actually the best way of getting nice screenies anyway)

Seems to me it would solve a frustrating issue in a simple and efficient way.

Regards, Hock

Steaky_361st
01-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Im not sure if Ive ever experienced that. If they can do it..Id take it though.

Atomic_Marten
01-02-2005, 07:51 PM
PRINT SCREEN is one of the most annyoing cheats. I agree with you. Steaky_361st, have you ever been, when online on enemy 6 and closing, then all the sudden you experience heavy lagg (stutter), and next thing you know your prey escape.. ?

You may have been cheated with PRINT SCREEN key.. then again in most cases it is not the case. Just take notice; if it happen more than twice when you are on the tail of the same guy, there is a good chance that it is not coincidence.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif (of course I'm assuming that you have decent machine, because low end PCs can make lag too, especially when firing Mk108s http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

prodigal_Hock
01-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Well, since they made it impossible to hit the key more than once every ten seconds or so, the effect it has now is to make the plane "jump" maybe 10 meters away. I didnt notice it at all earlier, probably because it just blended in with all the other warps and lagissues.
But lately I have been playing on some really nice and solid servers, where this is the only "Weird" thing going on.
Some people use it as a "panicbutton", wich is sorta funny in a pathetic sort of way.
I have tracks of it, but havent a clue how to upload them ...

Anyway, keep an eye out for it, and I guarantee you will start to notice it being used by some loser or other in most games youre in.

Stanger_361st
01-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Not a problem here. Not saying it does not go on. Dogfight rooms are purely just a place to hang out. I do not take it seriously. I fly mostly coops with people I know so hardly have this trouble. Try not to let pathetic people who have to cheat bother me. If I can't get a kill honestly it has no value to me. My manhood is not based on my ability to push the printscreen key.

Daiichidoku
01-02-2005, 09:55 PM
I'd liek servers be able to disable wingtip smoke and landing light/nav lights functions, as well...

ppl often use them fo rthe same reasons as prnt screen

Stanger_361st
01-03-2005, 07:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
I'd liek servers be able to disable wingtip smoke and landing light/nav lights functions, as well...

ppl often use them fo rthe same reasons as prnt screen <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is their a cheat with wing tip smoke or nav lights?
I do not use smoke but I use nav lights to let people know I am on final for landing. Runways get busy some times.

Daiichidoku
01-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Yes, I certainly hav enp with using Nav lights on finals, to let ppl who may otherwise take off into you know you are on finals, and to clear the way

But its when you are about to engage or shoot someone, they hit the lights hoping to induce lag, or, obscure thier planes attitude

Not a cheat, but a very, very cheap punk-a s s move

Von_Rat
01-03-2005, 12:45 PM
i often flash nav lights when getting chased, i do this to signal friendlys i need help. i stop flashing when enemy starts shooting. everybody can see the tracers then, and im to busy jinking to worry about anything else.

ive chased planes that do the same, ive never noticed any lag. and it doesn't seem to obscure attitude to me.

i also have never noticed any lag from chasing fws when they roll alot. i see people on here complaining thats a exploit to.

i guess what im trying to say, is that ive never experianced lag that i thought was being intentionally induced by another player.

HelSqnProtos
01-03-2005, 01:09 PM
VonRat that may be so but many of us have. I was in a server just the other day and had someone pull all three at once! It is highly cheap. I didn't mind the lights or even the smoke, but prints srn makes me go crazy.

TheGozr
01-03-2005, 01:29 PM
If i'm correct you can fix this via FDeamon just make you Ping kick to a lower setting

In the confs file

[MaxLag]
farMaxLagTime= what ever you wish
nearMaxLagTime= what ever you wish
cheaterWarningDelay=1 something real short
cheaterWarningNum=1 just one warning and kicked out..

When using the print screen they will lag and then Kicked out of the game but this can penalized some other bad connections players.

Stanger_361st
01-03-2005, 02:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
Yes, I certainly hav enp with using Nav lights on finals, to let ppl who may otherwise take off into you know you are on finals, and to clear the way

But its when you are about to engage or shoot someone, they hit the lights hoping to induce lag, or, obscure thier planes attitude

Not a cheat, but a very, very cheap punk-a s s move <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can something that could have been done in real life be a cheat? Like flashing nav lights.
maybe the people doing are smarter than real life pilots.

Daiichidoku
01-03-2005, 02:59 PM
because IRL, with nav lights on, it doesnt envelop the entire plane and make it a indistinct blur at the same ranges we see in the game

Plus, IRL, no fighter pilot would EVER flash Nav lights unless in a rear or secure area (look at me! look at me! fresh tgt here!)

Stanger_361st
01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
because IRL, with nav lights on, it doesnt envelop the entire plane and make it a indistinct blur at the same ranges we see in the game

Plus, IRL, no fighter pilot would EVER flash Nav lights unless in a rear or secure area (look at me! look at me! fresh tgt here!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes I agree the nav lights in this sim is over done. I guess what I was gettting out was in this sim the debate over vision. Some people will blink their lights so your wing will know where you are at. This is when you fly without icons. I did not see this as a cheat. Now if blinking lights cause a lag then that is another story.
Trying to sort out what is real and what is hard. Hard is not always real. With the Sim's limited vision I see nothing wrong to blink to your lead our wing where you are at. This could be a compromise to the sim's limited vision problems. Or is this a problem with the flyers that like it just hard and they feel compromised.
Thanks
Stanger

Von_Rat
01-03-2005, 08:35 PM
flashing lights may not have been done much in real life. but its done here to signal many friendlys,(who for some weird reason aren't on voice comms), that you need help. in real life they had better comms than we do, so you make adjustments.

also i dont recommend it if your in enemy territory, because it'll just draw more enemys. i usually only use it when im running to base to signal friendlys.

Stanger_361st
01-03-2005, 10:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von_Rat:
flashing lights may not have been done much in real life. but its done here to signal many friendlys,(who for some weird reason aren't on voice comms), that you need help. in real life they had better comms than we do, so you make adjustments.

also i dont recommend it if your in enemy territory, because it'll just draw more enemys. i usually only use it when im running to base to signal friendlys. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly it will draw attention to the on blinking his lights. That is why I only do it to land or blink quickly to wing or lead where I am at. I remember being in a server and I turned on nav lights and got chatised. They said if I turn it on again I will get immediate boot. I thought this was strange at that time. I said no problem and left. You have the right to dictate your server and I have a right to choose not to play it.

Daiichidoku
01-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Well, I was actually referring more to those who run the lights (or smoke) throughout an engagement, not those whomerely flash for fiends, or for signals on finals

Too bad that ppl wont or cant see when friendlies need help...I find all too often they cant be bothered, theyd rather chase down a smoking lame duck with 3 or 4 other friendlies....grrrrr!

JG5_UnKle
01-04-2005, 02:08 AM
We could always have a system where Nav lights only work with the landing gear down http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

We had the same problem in VEF, pilots would use landing lights to obscure the direction/attitude of their aircraft making high-speed BnZ even more difficult. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

AWL_Spinner
01-04-2005, 09:24 AM
I think it's like the muzzle flash thing. That was designed for night and was overblown for day. It's the same with nav lights. They're not too bad for night, but way overdone in the day, especially at distance.

Cheers, Spinner

WUAF_Black-Rose
01-04-2005, 02:45 PM
To Oleg:
Change the output format of screenshot to .jpg!

.tga VS .jpg

.tga = 800x600: 1.4meg
1024x768: 2.3meg

.jpg = 800x600 Aprox: 220k
1024x768 Aprox: 470k

.jpg reduce the HD activity .... less lag!

Sorry for my poor english!

DRB_Hookech0
01-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Actually, when I'm flying with squadies in open DF rooms, with no icons, we turn on our lights so we know where each of us are, especally on servers that turn the sight distances down to to insanely close levels.

I cant see how that would induce any lag.

Stanger_361st
01-04-2005, 08:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WUAF_Black-Rose:
To Oleg:

.tga VS .jpg

Sorry for my poor english! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the best awnser I have heard so far.

WWSensei
01-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Disabling the screenshot utility in the game would be a useless gesture as was the 10 second delay. Neither would accomplish the goal.

Someone determined to cause lag in such a manner would simply then use something like Fraps or any other of about 1000 screenshot utility programs to do exactly the same thing and there is nothing Oleg could do about that.

WUAF_Black-Rose
01-05-2005, 07:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanger_361st:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WUAF_Black-Rose:
To Oleg:

.tga VS .jpg

That is the best awnser I have heard so far. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WUAF_Black-Rose
01-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Oleg, can you comment?

HelSqnProtos
01-07-2005, 10:10 PM
bump

TheGozr
01-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Daiichidoku
There are more important thing to think about or fix...

HelSqnProtos
01-07-2005, 11:45 PM
There is absolutely nothing that takes precedence over stopping cheaters.

Daiichidoku
01-08-2005, 02:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGozr:
Daiichidoku
There are more important thing to think about or fix... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif TOUCHE! lol

mind you, this IS something that will have more impact than having a chick option for pilots

x__CRASH__x
01-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Sounds like swapping formats would help resolve this problem! I'll give this some bumps so it can get proper attention. I hope Oleg sees this.

Black Rose, have you e-mailed this suggestion to Oleg? You are more likely to get a response.

HelSqnProtos
01-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Rgr Crash's suggestion, an email would be more effective at least in regards to possibly being seen by Oleg.I like the format idea a lot. A fair compromise between the current situation and denying print screen altogether.

Diablo310th
01-09-2005, 08:57 AM
bump this cause it's a good idea.

WUAF_Black-Rose
01-09-2005, 09:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by x__CRASH__x:
Black Rose, have you e-mailed this suggestion to Oleg? You are more likely to get a response. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, but by private message...! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oleg_Maddox
01-10-2005, 05:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stanger_361st:
To Oleg:

.tga VS .jpg

That is the best awnser I have heard so far. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JPG will take more time to create then TGA.
JPG is the compressed format, so time for compressio will be even more than only recording the TGA.
So we wont go this way now and in feature.
Also TGA is printable format for magazines, etc, JPG is bad quality... If to make JPG best quality (no "compression") Then it is also big size + time for the creating is greate then to record just TGA.

Stanger_361st
01-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Here again Oleg has the real awnser while we speculate. It did sound good though. Thanks Oleg for reply.

LeadSpitter_
01-10-2005, 07:55 AM
I suggested to oleg awhile back to add in a field if it was possible for online dogfighting.

%username% has pressed print key

%username% has started to record qntrk
%username% ended qntrk

oleg said he would consider it but never has, this was many versions ago.

From what i seen it does not do much unless you have a low ping and other user has a high pung 150+ or flying a 190 or yak3 which seems to be highly effected by ping limit becuase of the roll which looks incrediable shady online.

But the same can be done using ventrilo rambling on for a couple seconds when stick yanking will make you warp.

Most of this can be stopped with the server limits of cheatwarning etc but most dont have them setup strict to allow users from around the globe to play in their servers. Not having strict settings allows the s****xp cheat to work and timeskip

HelSqnProtos
01-11-2005, 03:23 PM
I like many of the ideas suggested. I really like what LeadSpitter has to offer as well. Never thought I would say that! My personal feeling is that much if not all the control should be SERVER SIDE that way Admins can set up servers the way they like. If someone wants prnt scrn they can play on a server that has it enabled.

I for one think that denying print srn server side is the way to go. I realize that their are other methods of cheating out there, but this one is just too easy. Give admins the tools they need to improve online play. More server side controlled options garauntees an active and growing community base. We should allow our most competitive and skilled pilots to determine what their needs are and adjust them accordingly. There is no need to hit print srn during a vef game for instance. Make each player write his own track if that is what it takes and they can grab as many screens as they want after.

Lets stop making others suffer for the actions of one client. The same can be said for skin downloads. We need to set up system that can take advantage of this great feature, epecially for sqn competitions and the like. There are techinical answers out there. The question is do we have the will to implement them. Sorry for the long post but coming from a Unreal Tournament background it is very hard to understand why these seemingly simple steps have not been taken. I have absolutely fallen head over for this game and for the community that supports it. While one does have to look hard at the forums to find a decent post lately. These kind of dialogues are what keep me coming back and most importantly loyal to the game. Thank you for your response Mr. Maddox. Now seeing as tga files are the way to go. How about that server side option?? or a redirect for skin downloads before a player enters the game??